Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been following cracked windshield problems with the wrx and now after a small tap with a pebble, that would not have mattered in my other car or any other car for that matter I have a crack clear across half my windshield. If this mild interaction with every day road chips does this then I will be replacing windshields every few months. Not good, anybody else with this problem,seems the glass is defective.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I am going to have to be the butthead and say WRX windshields are just fine. People have complained because they got hit by a little rock and it cracked. I have been hit by big arse rocks and not a chip yet ( knock on woody). I think it's all a matter of how fast you are going and how fast the rock is going. My last Subaru went through 4 windsheilds in the 2 years I owned it. Some where small rocks, others could have done some real damage to a person. Common sense should prevail, don't ride behind the gravel trucks.

Pie is round.

Justin

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Hello,

I think there is an issue with the windshield becuase out of about 20 WRX owners I met in person in so cal meets. I think 5 or 6 of us had to deal with the cracked windshield. I think there is definitely a problem somewhere along the line and Subaru should do something about it. If anything go through insurance and just pay the deductable, depending on your insurance company if you think it's okay to report it as vandalism the deductable is probably much less. Ask your insurance company how they will cover it and go from there, and make sure they do a good job resealing hte rubber that connects to the bottom of the windshield. Roberto (Berto) replaced his windshield and they did a really poor job on sealing it and he can't do anything about it, which kinda sucks so I think it's best if you were there when they do the replacement and as soon as you see a problem have them fix it.

Tim

·
593 Posts
Hehehe I had mine break cos of the cold. Someone kicked a stone it chiped and It froze 3 days later what ya know I came out to a 12inc crack. Had a new one fitted. But its got to go back and have another one fitted because this one was installed wrong :rolleyes: Oh well. My dash rattles like crazy because they tore some foam. They never replaced it when the put the window back. SO now its out with the window and seal in with a new one. :rolleyes: Oh well I hope itsright this time.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Cracked windshield!

I came out to my car yesterday evening and found that the small chip in the lower left corner of my windshield had grown into a nice sized crack that extends about 1/3 of the way across the windshield. It is directly in my line of sight and my car is due for inspection mext month.

I am not a happy camper.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Jim-
does insurance cover that? i'm out here in CO and pretty much anyone that takes trips up to the mountains get a cracked windshield through the course of the winter. some have said its under insurance, some not... so what is the deal with that?
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Jim,

I got a crack in my windsheild last weekend on a road trip. :(

Damn tractor trailer didn't have any mudflaps on and sent a rock screaming into my windsheild.

I feel your pain.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
This issue was discussed a couple of months ago and everyone aggreed that the WRX has a pretty weak windshield. I cracked my windshield driving on the 605 freeway (lots of trucks) and it really does suck. If you feel the need to file a complaint to Subaru let me know because I know a couple of WRX owners who cracked their windshields.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
Insurance would cover the crack in my windshield, but I have a $500 deductible and I don't expect it to cost anywhere near $500.

-Jim
Some insurance companies will "lower" the deductible for replacing the windsheild. I believe they figure if you drive with a cracked windshield, you're chances for an accident are increased so they'll "help" pay for it. You might want to check into it.

Rod

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
It's not going to pass PA inspection because it is in the line of sight.

WRXed:
I was just over at Columbus, GA this week, damn that 20 year old from the atlanta area is soo lucky.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
tan said:
WRXed:
I was just over at Columbus, GA this week, damn that 20 year old from the atlanta area is soo lucky.
Columbus is pretty nice. I've got a step-brother who lives over there. I have to admit, however, that the "20 year old" comment is baffling me.:confused:

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
The Big Game for 325 million. She got 59 million lump sum. First time she played the lottery, spent $10, and became one of the three that won.

Did you go to the Hooters swimsuit competition at the Macon Hooters' last week (or the other week?)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Man, I also had a rock chip in my shield from an RX-7 that tried to do a flyby after I smoked him, only 2 weeks after I got my car!! Man, I was pissed!:mad:

I got the insurance to come and fix it right away and It didn't spread. I also have various other chips and scratches ALL in the 7 months that I've had the car. Hmmmm.

-C

1 - 20 of 441 Posts