ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there as tittle reads I am wanting to adjust my boost but only if I can do it safely of course. My car is a v7 sti with stainless steel equal length headers and a full 3" exhaust with one resonator and a high flow cat. I have a profec e-01 boost controller and it is currently running 14psi. I know the v7 sti can handle 17-18psi safely because of being forged and am wanting to turn the boost up to about 17. My main concern is detonation and of course ruining my engine, If I adjust boost will my ecu be able to relearn the new settings as such and adjust the fuel and timing so I don't run lean or rich? I have the prodrive model which supposedly has a different ecu if that makes any difference.

heres a link about the prodrive ecu if you haven't heard about it before
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/9130-new-prodrive-ecu-replacement.html

Thanks.

If tuning is essential how hard is it to learn romraider?, I do consider myself quite capable technology wise which I guess helps.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
While you can adjust boost with a boost controller, and everything *should* be alright (as long as your tune has good values for timing and afr in the new load cells you get to, and as long as you are still within the efficient range on your turbo), it's still not a good idea as you're fighting the ECU's natural desire to have less WGDC.

If I were you, I'd trade that boost controller for a Grimmspeed, Perrin, GM, etc. 3-port EBCS. Then, start tuning (which I believe you actually can on v7's). First of all, IIRC, the prodrive ecu is just a regular ecu with a different map - if romraider doesn't have the definition, you can always flash to a stock v7 map and be just fine. Then, read up on the subie newbie tuning guide - https://sites.google.com/site/asubienewbietuningguide/ver-1-0 - which will tell you how to tune. If you're patient and careful, you'll get a very high quality tune just by yourself (you can't get MBT all the way, but you're probably not going to anyway).

Oh, and boost is really limited by your turbo, not your block. Your fancy ej207 block could probably hold 25-30 psi before it explodes... but your turbo probably isn't going that high without a fight (which turbo do you have, btw?). I have no qualms about running up to about 20-22 psi in my ej205 (except that I wouldn't push the stock turbo that far).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, most of that made sense. When you say " I'd trade that boost controller for a Grimmspeed, Perrin, GM, etc. 3-port EBCS." Is that an ecu system or a tunable boost controller? if you have a look at this link which is a quick over view of my boost controller it seems as though it is fairly managable in terms of settings etc.
http://www.greddy.com/upload/file/PRofec_e-01.pdf Also im running the factory vf30, lastly what does MBT mean? Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts