Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post here. Dunno why I haven't made an account here before, but it's also a dangerous game because now I feel like I'm going to want to spend money and upgrade things on my car, that is currently still mostly stock (2011 WRX Hatch). Anyway, I'm having some issues with my front bumper not quite staying on like I would like. Mostly on the driver's side. I'm missing a few of the push rivet things (not sure what they're called), which is definitely contributing, but the plastic on the bumper where those attach is also broken off,at least on the middle hole. I'll attach a picture for some idea of what I'm talking about. I also feel like the part that's supposed to attach to the bumper guide doesn't quite look right, but that's why I'm here for some second opinions. Is there a solution apart from having to get a whole new bumper? Thanks for any and all advice.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Blue

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
186 Posts
That round button fastener you see there is not original, and the part of the bumper to the left that’s torn shouldn’t be like that. Mine looked the same, so that’s why it won’t stay in place.

I had gone to a body shop that did some plastic welding and added a piece behind that torn section and put a hole through it large enough for a fastener to go through.

The black bracket attached to the car under the fender looks correct. It runs along the bottom edge of the fender towards the front of the car and has provisions for the tabs on the bumper to snap into it.

Hope that helps and makes sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That round button fastener you see there is not original, and the part of the bumper to the left that’s torn shouldn’t be like that. Mine looked the same, so that’s why it won’t stay in place.

I had gone to a body shop that did some plastic welding and added a piece behind that torn section and put a hole through it large enough for a fastener to go through.

The black bracket attached to the car under the fender looks correct. It runs along the bottom edge of the fender towards the front of the car and has provisions for the tabs on the bumper to snap into it.

Hope that helps and makes sense.
That helps quite a lot actually. Never really considered plastic welding, but I might give it a shot on my own since it seems to be pretty cheap and doesn't seem all that difficult. Just need to order some more push rivets for the rest of the holes and hopefully get it all fixed. I think my biggest issue will be getting that old rivet out without damaging the plastic, because from what I can tell it's made out of metal and I don't have the right tools of course... Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
186 Posts
My pleasure! Yes they’re expensive but the OEM fasteners fit so nicely it’s worth it in my opinion. I saw the body shop guy do the welding and I agree you should be able to manage no problem.

I believe that black plastic piece with the metal rivet in it is held in place by a few screws. Might be easiest to just remove it altogether and have full access to it. Worst case I’m sure a replacement isn’t too costly.

Here are a couple diagrams to help you get started. It was a headache using my imagination to figure out which clips and stuff I needed but best for you to figure it out yourself rather than the dealer. Or take pictures and go in so they can help you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My pleasure! Yes they’re expensive but the OEM fasteners fit so nicely it’s worth it in my opinion. I saw the body shop guy do the welding and I agree you should be able to manage no problem.

I believe that black plastic piece with the metal rivet in it is held in place by a few screws. Might be easiest to just remove it altogether and have full access to it. Worst case I’m sure a replacement isn’t too costly.

Here are a couple diagrams to help you get started. It was a headache using my imagination to figure out which clips and stuff I needed but best for you to figure it out yourself rather than the dealer. Or take pictures and go in so they can help you.

Yeah I definitely prefer OEM for things like that. I trust them to last much longer than cheapo stuff I can get on Amazon. And glad to know I should be able to manage the plastic welding! Makes me feel a little better about it.

Thanks for the links too, those diagrams are pretty helpful. Hopefully I can get everything I need this weekend and not have to wait super long for the parts so I can fix it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts