ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of getting the AP (Cobb Stage 1) and I was just wondering what ppl thought of it. In particular I was wondering if there is anymore low end power with it, or if it just increases top end power. Thanks!
-Ryan

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Go for it!

They seem to be easier to get; less of a wait now. I'm pretty satisfied with mine. Any butt dyno should be able to measure the difference. I feel it increases top end a bit more than the lower revs. Both are improved. More of a rush of power once the turbo spools up. It is NOT an STi in a box, but for $600 you cannot go wrong IMHO. Many more posts and threads to be found on this subject.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Just got my AP yesterday. Immediatly I can tell the difference in power delivery. I am still learning how to use it though. I give it 4 out of 5 :wiggles: :wiggles: :wiggles: :wiggles:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
i've had mine in for about a week and i love it. first gear is very fast along with second. full boost comes on very quickly and there is also high end power (even more with the catback). i only wish i could tune it a little bit for my specific area and i haven't hit target boost yet but its close (14.4). i just hope the accesstuner comes out by the time i'm ready for some major upgrades:D

overall, i also give 4 out of 5 :wiggles: :wiggles: :wiggles: :wiggles:

·
Registered
878 Posts
i got mime and whoa night and day between stock and stage 1 the car just wants to run away now as soon as you tap the gas, it was fast stock don't get me wrong but now it feels much stronger in all gears. I noticed that it lowered my crusing rpms and when i step onit in 5th at about 60 it goes like mad even still, when before i had to shift to 4th to get going again.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
subaru_crazy said:
I noticed that it lowered my crusing rpms
:confused:

Sounds like Stage 1 is a pretty good upgrade from stock. I'm just curious to hear more impressions from people who went from Stage 1 to Stage 2.

·
Registered
945 Posts
i got my AP last week and it was the only thing i put on....

def added more power, i could feel it after a bit of driving and it pulled harder

this week, i had my full turboback tsx rfl put on (no cats)
reflashed to stage 2 on 93 octane....:eek3:
car is amazing, i love it....it's so fast now, such a difference from stock to stage 2.

·
Registered
43 Posts
subaru_crazy said:
I noticed that it lowered my crusing rpms...
Wouldn't this be impossible with a manual transmision without a regear?

A given revolution of the crankshaft results in a directly proportional number of revolutions at the wheels. So, given a transmission gear set and a ring and pinion set you will run the same RPMs at 70 MPH with a 4 cly 150 HP engine that you would with a V8 800 HP engine.

Right?

·
Registered
878 Posts
well i am not making it up before the AP at 60 in 4th it would be almost 3000 rpm not its like 2800

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cobb stg 1 is what the WRX SHOULD have driven like off the dealer's lot. Low end improved - not so much more torque but getting to boost is faster than before. Constipation above 5k RPMs is gone but if you have an inlet hose + IC hose it would help even more.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
casualsurfer said:
Cobb stg 1 is what the WRX SHOULD have driven like off the dealer's lot. Low end improved - not so much more torque but getting to boost is faster than before. Constipation above 5k RPMs is gone but if you have an inlet hose + IC hose it would help even more.
What he said. Cobb Stage 1 is what the car should have been OEM. Smoother power delivery, more boost, and safe.

·
Registered
309 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
What he said. Cobb Stage 1 is what the car should have been OEM. Smoother power delivery, more boost, and safe.
Not a bash on Cobb... but if you read on Nasioc there are a few very reputible tuners that disagree on its safety. The problem seems to be that the reflash causes the car to run pretty lean.

For instance... most people with a UTEC will tune for 10.8 or richer (10.5) AFRs under peak. The cobb dyno sheets posted have been in the 12s. I dont know if the new reflash took care of it, but its something to keep in mind. That kind of AFR can = boom.

I'd be sure to buy at least an EGT / WB02 sensor.

2c

1 - 20 of 53 Posts