Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking at trading my 2015 Challenger Scat Pack 6.4 in for a new STI. My Challenger is pretty fast and runs in the low 12 sec range bone stock. Im looking at the STI for a better family and winter car but i want it to be fast. I know its a rally car and off road and tight turns is what its made for. But i still want to make it a lot faster. I called a professional tuning shop and they said for about $2,960 they can get it to about 300hp and 345tq to the wheels and still have a a pretty much stock with some bolt ons safe engine. Thats great but with just those mods would it be fast?? Or would i need more? Thats one thing that was nice about my Challenger its was fast enough for me right from the factory so i didnt have to spend extra money in mods..

· In Æternum
23,700 Posts
I feel that it will never be "fast enough" for you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· For External Use Only
3,884 Posts
"fast" is incredibly subjective. A stock WRX is stupid fast to the guy who's driving a ford aspire.

If you want it to be a quick fun car, 3k for stage 2 sounds about right.

· MAINEiac
3,257 Posts
Drive an STI and see what you think for yourself. Stage 2 is a nice improvement and will smooth out the power as well. The STI has all wheel drive so you will experience more power loss through the drivetrain. The challenger is a completely different car, so it is hard to compare the two. The challenger would overtake the STI at higher speeds, but the STI would probably beat it off the line (as you won't be spinning the tires if you go full throttle). Straight line speed is not the reason to get an STI. You mentioned in your first post some very nice benefits of an STI over a challenger, so if those reasons are less important to you than "speed," then you would be more cost effective by looking at going a different route.

You could go stage two much cheaper by getting used parts and/or going opensource.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not that there less important to me then speed. I like high performance cars. I guess im just trying to have a car thats like having my cake and eating too. It would be nice to have a practical car with 4 doors and amazing all wheel drive and Fast. Another issue might be once i start modding it how much of an issue will the Subaru dealer have? I know it varies.. Id be happy with a STI in the low to mid 12 second quarter mile acceleration. Im guessing any faster and it gets really expensive.

· In Æternum
23,700 Posts
Presuming you are a good driver, a stage 2 STI should have no problem running mid-12s at sea level.

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
Thats pretty good. Id be happy with that type of performance for awhile and have awd for the winter. Would be great. Would the STI engine with a stage 2 be reliable without any issues?
Can't say that with full certainty. It should be fine, yes. However, whenever you take it away from stock you add risk.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So then would the best route be just go with a stage 2? That way if something goes wrong just throw the stock parts back on and takenit to the dealer? Whats the weakest part of the 2.5 engine? Ive heard of the ringland failer before but heard rumors that its better now dont know if thats true or not. I watched a youtube vid where a guy blew up his 2015 STI after light mods and ripping around town and taking it to the track a couple times. So he then did a ground up build with new block and everything. Siad he has no issues since. I definitely dont want to worry about engine problems.

· Registered
100 Posts
I feel that it will never be "fast enough" for you

I agree with Zax

So then would the best route be just go with a stage 2? That way if something goes wrong just throw the stock parts back on and takenit to the dealer? Whats the weakest part of the 2.5 engine? Ive heard of the ringland failer before but heard rumors that its better now dont know if thats true or not. I watched a youtube vid where a guy blew up his 2015 STI after light mods and ripping around town and taking it to the track a couple times. So he then did a ground up build with new block and everything. Siad he has no issues since. I definitely dont want to worry about engine problems.
I have read your other thread and I have to agree with Zax on this on. Your simply making to much of a drastic change. As just about everyone here is stating, the cars are so different. My GF has a challanger (5.7L), I have a WRX and I honestly cant imagine having to choose between the two of them or being in your siutation. The Challanger is a boat with torque for days. The wrx/sti is much more agile and the power delivery is like night and day. If you mod the STI, you might not have an issue if your only going stage 2 but once you do that, your throwing the warranty out the window. If you dont want to worry about it then leave it stock.

Edit: I just remembered, you said a lot of the reasoning for this is because your winter car is needing work to pass inspection. With the money your probably going to lose on a trade and then modifying the STI, why not just use that to fix your winter car and keep the Challanger. That seems like the most reasonable thing for you to do (to me anyway). If your gonna drop 3 grand for power mods and then another grand on snow tires and wheels.

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
I definitely dont want to worry about engine problems.
If you don't want to worry about engine problems then don't mod.

So then would the best route be just go with a stage 2? That way if something goes wrong just throw the stock parts back on and takenit to the dealer?
Counting on being able to return to stock and send back to the dealer if your modifications cause the engine to go is certainly no the way to go. Some people get away with it. However, some dealerships can find evidence that the car was modified or even tampered with. That is all they need to deny any warranty work relative to the damage.

Whats the weakest part of the 2.5 engine? Ive heard of the ringland failer before but heard rumors that its better now dont know if thats true or not.
Probably the rod bearings.

I watched a youtube vid where a guy blew up his 2015 STI after light mods and ripping around town and taking it to the track a couple times. So he then did a ground up build with new block and everything. Siad he has no issues since.
Again, if reliability and longevity is what you want then a ground up "build" with aftermarket internals and the works is the last thing you want.

It sounds to me that just your basic bolt on parts i.e. intake and turbo back exhaust and professional tune is going to be your safest bet and will certainly get you started. If that's not enough power there are more bolt on parts you can do that will give you even more. Of course, the more you push the motor the more you risk the failure of weaker components. You have to pay to play.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey moarboost thanks for ypur reply. One thing i will add is that yes the Challenger is a big car but your girlfriends 5.7 is not the same as a new Scat Pack. The Scat has really good almost near racing suspension a sport mode that really tightens up the stearing and opens up the exhaust and the new 6.4 Hemi has tons of power. Bone stock with skinny not good traction tires it rips 4.2 sec 0 to 60 and low 12s in the quarter. Its a totally different animal then the 5.7. And with the upgraded suspension and steering it handle very good in the twisties. You barley feel the weight. Its a very hard decision. It would just be easier if i knew i could get the STI to those similar numbers as far as quickness. Id be super happy. But as i said i dont want to worry to much about reliability. So its a tough call. Id love to dind a Subaru dealer thats mod freindly like my Dodge dealer. That would be the best scenario. As far as fixing my beater winter car thats not going to happen. The body and frame is rotted to the point where its not safe. Not worth even spending a penny on it.

· Registered
100 Posts
Hey moarboost thanks for ypur reply. One thing i will add is that yes the Challenger is a big car but your girlfriends 5.7 is not the same as a new Scat Pack. The Scat has really good almost near racing suspension a sport mode that really tightens up the stearing and opens up the exhaust and the new 6.4 Hemi has tons of power. Bone stock with skinny not good traction tires it rips 4.2 sec 0 to 60 and low 12s in the quarter. Its a totally different animal then the 5.7. And with the upgraded suspension and steering it handle very good in the twisties. You barley feel the weight. Its a very hard decision. It would just be easier if i knew i could get the STI to those similar numbers as far as quickness. Id be super happy. But as i said i dont want to worry to much about reliability. So its a tough call. Id love to dind a Subaru dealer thats mod freindly like my Dodge dealer. That would be the best scenario. As far as fixing my beater winter car thats not going to happen. The body and frame is rotted to the point where its not safe. Not worth even spending a penny on it.
No problem, I am aware of the differences in the engines but thats about it, ive never driven in any other challanger so I guess it was just a generalization. As for the winter beater... that sucks and I see your predicament. The STI is sweet and Ive have read where owners have gone 100K+ miles with it on their cars with no issues on stage 2 but there is always a "what if".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.