ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...mom and I were up in Vail and Breckenridge training for a bicycle tour. We come across a corvette autoX on the way riding around. Of course, we both stop and look. It was a short 35 second course that made a tiny loop in a dinky parking lot. She's never tried it, but knows how to drive fast and can even drift! Conversation went something like this...with the first words out of her mouth being...:

Mom: "Wow, they sure aren't going very fast."

Me: "It's a short technical course. They aren't getting above about 40mph. This is the stuff I like to do in the Scooby."

Mom: "They're still slow. I've gone faster in a go-kart with a flat. Why are they wearing helmets if they're going that slow?"

Me: "Just the rules. Coors field is where some of the big boys play."

Mom: "How fast do you get up to there?"

Me: "Depends on the course. Short, tight courses like this, you don't get a lot of speed. Others you might see up to 70 but briefly. You just want to beat your own time. Wanna try it sometime?"

Mom: "If you go that slow, don't bother. Let's go ride. This is boring."

Maybe t3h ghey to some of you. But, I thought it was pretty funny hearing it out of 48 year old lady. Now, I get to bait her to the track :).

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
Nice! Speed lovin' moms are great. I let my mom borrow my car once while I drove hers home, and she came TEARING past me, at least 60 in a 45. Nothing too crazy, but rare for a mom.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My mom *****es that I'm speeding when I'm doing 15 in a 25.

A couple weeks after having my Yokohamas put on, I was bringing mom back from the dealership where she dropped off her van. Light turns yellow at this intersection, and since I knew it was a LONG light for the left hand turn lane, I downshifted into 2nd and punched it through the corner... momentarily forgetting that she was sitting in the passenger seat. My poor mom didn't know my Celica doesn't have "oh shit" handles until then, either.. I remember after I came home, I saw a oil spot on my passenger side window that sorta resembled the side of her face...

Mom refuses to ride with me now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Aracheon said:
My mom *****es that I'm speeding when I'm doing 15 in a 25.

A couple weeks after having my Yokohamas put on, I was bringing mom back from the dealership where she dropped off her van. Light turns yellow at this intersection, and since I knew it was a LONG light for the left hand turn lane, I downshifted into 2nd and punched it through the corner... momentarily forgetting that she was sitting in the passenger seat. My poor mom didn't know my Celica doesn't have "oh shit" handles until then, either.. I remember after I came home, I saw a oil spot on my passenger side window that sorta resembled the side of her face...

Mom refuses to ride with me now.
Ouch! My wife usually just punches me in the arm or leg. That's my indication that I took the turn too fast for her.

Viggy

·
Registered
54 Posts
You know, you'd think she'd have learned by now!

I do keep some 'air sickness' bags in the map pocket, just in case...

:D

Viggy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only time she ever slapped me was when I did an AWD launch in the stock RS. 5k on the tach, then drop...even in an RS it's still a hard launch.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My friend Evan (61DSR) had this crazy ~380 WHP taurus SHO with a dual diaphraghm metallic clutch. The pedal effort was hideous and the modulation was non-existant, basically on or off. EVERYBODY who had EVER driven the thing immediatly stalled it like the first 4 times starting out, including both Evan and his dad (who if you know... are probably 2 of the best drivers in the region). Anyway, his mom jumped right in this car, started it right up, took off with no issue and never stalled the thing.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah, it was Jeff and Evan. The thing was most definately a 5 speed. The supra was sold like a month ago to some guy in colorado springs. I saw the thing a few days later sitting at the dealership near Heuberger.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I just assumed that supercharged Taurus was an automatic. No wonder it was so fast at SCR.

And last I heard, the Supra was for sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts