Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will change my oil tomorrow,,but i am in doubt about some items.
see if i am correct..
1-unbolt the bolt so the oil drain
2-unscrew the oil filter screw to drain excess oil.
3-Unscrew oil filter.
4-replace the bolt back in.
After that i dont know what to do?
Should i pour some oil inside the new oil filter to prevent air from getting inside?
after pouring the oil in filter,,screw the filter back in and put the correct amount of oil.
After that,,should i run my car iddle for how long so the new oil can be in action?
And i should do all this after the engine is warm.
correct?
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
649 Posts
No need to pour oil in the new filter. The only thing you'll want to do to it is rub oil on the rubber gasket. This will keep it from sticking next time you need to remove it.

As far as running engine after correct amount of oil is in, just run it for a couple of minutes, and you'll be fine.

No need to change oil when engine is warm. If you do it when the engine is warm, you'll likely burn your hands. Let it cool a bit.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was saying,,its not good to make the oil change after the car is cold for a long time.
Am i correct here??
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
649 Posts
Usually the only reason that people change oil when the engine is warm is so that it flows easier. You can change it cold or warm. If you're worried about having old oil left in the engine (because it's cold), you can buy a flush from autozone to clean it out. This is what I've always been told.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I fill the new filter with oil. The idea is to prevent oil starvation the first couple seconds after the change when you start the car - although I doubt it makes too much of a difference - but it can't hurt.

Change the oil when it is warm because more of the contaminates will be suspended in the oil and more will come out when you drain it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rick Schu said:
I fill the new filter with oil. The idea is to prevent oil starvation the first couple seconds after the change when you start the car - although I doubt it makes too much of a difference - but it can't hurt.

Change the oil when it is warm because more of the contaminates will be suspended in the oil and more will come out when you drain it.
Finally!!!
Someone speaking my language :D :D :D
I hope we are correct..
Tuca;)

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Rick Schu said:

When letting the oil drain, take off the oil filler cap in the engine compartment, to release any pressure built up in the engine case. That way the oil drains easier and quicker.

I always fill the oil filter full of oil before I install it. Just like Rick said above, The idea is to prevent oil starvation the first couple seconds after the change when you start the car.

Junitari is correct as well. Make sure to put a thin coat of oil around the circumference of the o-ring on the oil filter so it won't stick the next time you take it off. Just dip your finger into the oil, and spread it across the top of the o-ring.

Also, look into buying a fumotovalve. I have one, and I don't mind doing my oil changes anymore, because it makes it so much easier.

http://www.fumotovalve.com

But on my girlfriends 91 Honda Civic, I cannot fill the filter, since the filter sits horizontal on the back of the motor. Why the hell the engineers at Honda designed it this way is besides me. And I get the added benefit of changing the oil in that car every 3000 miles.:rolleyes: Thanks Honda:mad:

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
junaitari said:

WTF is that supposed to mean?
I mean that someone finally have the same opinion as me :D
Its very common to fill the filter with oil in any car..
If you dont fill then the oil pump will take more time to spread oil to the engine cause first the oil pump will fill in the new filter,,so after that it can spread the oil to the engine.
so filling the filter makes the car run dry only for a few seconds.
UNDERSTOOD???????????????
Tuca;)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ummm, as far as I know, when you drain the oil, there's a film that stays stuck to the sides and all the moving parts (like you can never get the oil jug completely empty) so you're not running completely dry. You still have oil there. I'm sure some oil still stays in the lines too. If the oil pump does its job and gets the oil to the engine quickly, then there's nothing to worry about. In my opinion.

I still don't think it's necessary to warm the engine, either.

I'm not trying to be an ******* by the way...

Edit:
I just looked in the manual for the WRX. It says that you warm the engine to ease the draining of the oil, just like I stated. I'd never heard of the suspended particle thing.

It also says nothing about filling the oil filter with oil.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
junaitari said:

I still don't think it's necessary to warm the engine, either.
Hey,,,Warming the engine a little is to get this film of oil in the engine.
If your car is cold ,,then you will not have that film ..
Try changing your oil with a cold car (unused for more than 24 hours)and dont fill the filter with oil.
Try that as you think there is no problem.
TUca

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
the temporary starvation is due to that the oil needs to get to the filter, thus filling the oil filter first.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I've never filled the filter and still had cars last over 100,000 miles before selling them. I guess I don't see the point in doing it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
junaitari said:
I've never filled the filter and still had cars last over 100,000 miles before selling them. I guess I don't see the point in doing it.
You dont know what you are saying..
thats why you say that crap.
This is not the information people need to be in doubt.
If you dont know really what you saying,,go to NASCIOC and discuss there that this is not necessary.
I am not a car expert,,but in many ways(forum search and reasearch,,technical race car teams.),,everyone knows that when they make a oil change.
you are going against what is the real thing.
Tuca

·
Registered
649 Posts
tuca33 said:

If you dont know really what you saying,,go to NASCIOC and discuss there that this is not necessary.
I am not a car expert,,but in many ways(forum search and reasearch,,technical race car teams.),,everyone knows that when they make a oil change.
Tuca
Right, and who's the one that came on here asking how to correctly change the oil? :rolleyes: I've changed my own oil since I started driving 10 years ago, so I can speak from my own experiences.

I just find it funny that it wouldn't say anything about filling the filter in the manual if it was so important. I've never done it on any of my cars. I've seen no adverse effects because of this. That is why I say I feel it's unnecessary.

·
Registered
538 Posts
tuca33 said:

Tuca
Easy there, tuca. This is a difference of opinion of two members, that's all. No need to get ugly.

As for filling the oil filter first, I've never done, never heard of it being done. Furthermore, I drove a rotary engine car (RX7) for 13 years, and you know what? The filter mounts on top of the engine, upside down. You can't fill it first.

I think you owe junaitari an apology. Maybe you've forgotten the days when people used to treat you the way you are treating him.

Now, behave!

Peace,

Curtis

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
OK Boys, enough with the name calling. That's completely uncalled for and really sucks in the technical forums. You guys are getting way too excited over an oil change.

Keep it nice and civil, Ok?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts