ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I own a 2004 WRX. I really want to get a STi wing (Im going for the rally car look :) ) but my dad has warned me against it saying that it is a HUGE ticket magnet. I wanted to ask you guys what you thought of this. Thanks!
-Ryan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good call wonderspark. A large wing will definately attract more attention. This could be why most Honda Civic owners could double their cars as a rather large shopping cart. Seeing all those things makes me wish I had stock in APC...stock as in wallstreet not stock as in products sitting in my garage. But seriously, anything you do to the car will attract attention, i.e. exhaust, BOV (still not a fan of those), subs, bright colors, even personalized license plates ( 2FAST4U ). Not sure if anyone has that plate but u get the point. Believe I live in a county that features the number one speed trap, or so it is written here on the web, in the country! Our cops have NOTHING better to do than to write traffic violations for anything. I don't mean to preach but avoiding police is my specialty...as well as subtly in modification. But do the wing and do the speed limit. Good luck!

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Spectre186 said:
As some of you may know I own a 2004 WRX. I really want to get a STi wing (Im going for the rally car look :) ) but my dad has warned me against it saying that it is a HUGE ticket magnet. I wanted to ask you guys what you thought of this. Thanks!
-Ryan
my opinion may be a little bias because i like the stock wrx wing better, but think of it this way. you are driving down the street and a toyota corolla passes..... you probably didnt even notice it.
Now a toyota corolla passes with a huge wing on it..... your attention is automatically grabbed.

thats the way I think of it. especially since you are in Cali

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yea, the wing will bring you more unwanted attention, but I think it depends more on how the cops are where you live and how you drive. I've had a STi since Feb. and I havn't been pulled over once. *Knocks on wood* If you use your head, don't drive too fast, and have a decent radar dector I think you'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
wonderspark said:
There is no question about it - - you will attract more attention with the big wing. It isn't like you'll be ignored if you're speeding by a cop, but when he sees the big wing, he'll get boner-riffic about giving you a ticket that you might have otherwise been let go on.

PS. I say this based on my experience with all the state troopers I work with. They call my car "the street racer car," and "hey, that's not stock exhaust," etc. Good luck!
i like that word boner-riffic!!!:rotfl:

S

·
0 Posts
wrxinfx said:
yup, a big wing = having bumper sticker saying "I hate cops!"

Both will get you in a lot of trouble.:(
is a bumper sticker saying "i hate cops!" illegal?...i would so sport one of those jus for the reaction. then ill bust a granny-style driving mode when i see cops and laff as they cant do anything. :D :cool:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Freedom of speech. But then they also have the freedom of law enforcement. When it comes down to your word against theirs, you lose.

However, I disagree that a big wing is equa to that bumper sticker. Big wings are getting to be so common that they just don't attract as much attention as you'd think. Race profiling, age profiling, location, time, etc. IMHO are much more common illegal reasons to pull people over. A big wing typically means the driver is younger, and more likely to get pulled over.

If you don't give them a reason, they usually won't pull you over. Don't overreact when you see a cop, don't slam on your brakes or make erratic movements (quick turns, lane changes, etc). Don't drive excessively fast for a long period, speed in short bursts (much easier to do on a curvy mountain road). Get a radar detector (my V1 has saved me countless times, even on laser), and mount it where it is least visible, above the rear view is best (unless you live where they are illegal, sorry VA). Overall, just pay attention, drive smart, and don't rage, and you'll be fine.

I have had my STi for over a year, and have yet to get pulled over (knocks on wood). With all the SUVs, no one will see your wing way down there, as long as you aren't using them for pylons.

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
23,113 Posts
Spectre186 said:
-Ryan
Like flies on sh!t brother. :tongue:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a slightly different take on the matter, and, it may be from where I live more than anything.

I think most cops in my area, (most people, for that matter) think the wing is a joke. They don't take it seriously, and the car is lumped into the whole "show, no go" catagory, and is quickly ignored. Granted, this may change with time.

What is even worse though, is the fact that it's been 6 months now, and there is only 1 other STI in town that I know of (90,000 people), luckily it's also black.

So, if I showboat or do whatever, chances are they are going to know its the same guy if they run into me again.

Like the V6 Sonoma with flames and dual pipes I crushed last night... Everytime I see him, he's gonna know that I actually raced someone I probably shouldn't have even given the gas nor time to race...

·
Moderating YOU, before you had your Subaru!
13,353 Posts
4 Banger said:
Yea, the wing will bring you more unwanted attention, but I think it depends more on how the cops are where you live and how you drive. I've had a STi since Feb. and I havn't been pulled over once. *Knocks on wood* If you use your head, don't drive too fast, and have a decent radar dector I think you'll be fine. :)
That's how it is here in Seattle. As long as I'm not thundering down the road, cops don't even look at me, despite how much attention my car gets.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The spoiler is a great place for a cop to set his donut while he is writing you up. Also a great place for him/her to have you lean while they do the required cavity check. :D

Make sure you get the bumper sticker that says "BAD COP...NO DONUT!" :D :D :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
A wingless STI (swapped out, pre-delivery with a new stock WRX) is in my near (one year) future.

Frankly, I think the stupid wing makes you look like an adolescent.

Be advised, I am an 'old person'.:cool:

·
Admin - Scooby Hooligan
23,369 Posts
i been drivin since '01 with a wrc wing on and no stops or tickets---so its my beleif its down to the way you drive ---
i also drive 170+ miles a day so i can say that from experience....

then again it could be the grey hair that stops them from stopping me :p

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
where i'm from... these big wings that protrude high enough to obstruct the rear view of the driver is illegal. UNLESS it comes stock. Many officers don't know that the STI and evos come with these stock and many have gotten tickets only to go to court to get them thrown out after proving it comes with it. Those who have those aluminum airplane wings can't prove anything and gets slapped with a nice fine. This is just where i'm from so in other areas laws may differ

·
Registered
150 Posts
~WRBlue'02 said:
On my last ticket the phrase "oversized wing" was mentioned in the report.
LOL that's too funny (well, not the ticket part)! If I do get a ticket, which hopefully I don't, I would love to have that written on my report. :) Of course, "oversized scoop", would be kind of amusing too!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts