ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cooling the IC via Walmart Compressed Air Duster ?

Okay, i've seen ice bags.. but this one is trick.
Get a can of diflouroethane compressed air from walmart.
Let car cool some with hood open before spraying. Then right when your turn is up and there's no line to wait in...
Turn can upside down to get the cold liquid gas discharge, then you spray the intercooler all down just before you do a 1/4 mile pass.

Do this with your car off and no smoking or flames around so it don't ignite! Anyway, it chills it very well! Comes out about 106 degrees C below zero! IC was like a freezer after he sprayed. Reduces times by .5 sec if you can get to post quick enough!

I've seen it, laughing though.. didn't know what this guy was doing at first.

Has anyone done this ?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
never heard of it, but it does make sense in a way. as long as that **** isnt bad for your aluminum i guess its ok?

metal gets very fragile at temps like that though....

heh. interesting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gusto said:
never heard of it, but it does make sense in a way. as long as that **** isnt bad for your aluminum i guess its ok?

metal gets very fragile at temps like that though....

heh. interesting.
Nope, doesn't do anything to the aluminum.. leaves no residue either :) Just don't inhale it or spray your skin.. causes instant frostbite burns.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Its not going to harm the metal. I do that all the time to odd objects around work. Usually my desk and stuff. It don't harm metal, freezes it's outside. BUT isn't good for your skin.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
i completely understand it. i work on computers all day and cant live w/o the stuff.

just seen what it can do to some things its not supposed to be shaken and sprayed at ;) so double checking your expensive investment isnt hurt.

like i said, in theory it would seem to work.

pretty clever i think

no different than a CO2 cooler is it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gusto said:
i completely understand it. i work on computers all day and cant live w/o the stuff.

just seen what it can do to some things its not supposed to be shaken and sprayed at ;) so double checking your expensive investment isnt hurt.

like i said, in theory it would seem to work.

pretty clever i think

no different than a CO2 cooler is it?
Pretty much like cooling it with C02 ... but don't use
a fire ext. on it :) that would really make a scene... hehe

:wiggles:

·
Registered
166 Posts
try the gum remover too, that stuff is a little bit colder i believe. but it also has a fragrance with it also. Plus the bottle is also half the normal size. spraying that stuff on people's arm's is funny though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
way too flamable to be used on a hot engine bay if you ask me.....but it is freon, so it is cold....not worth the risk in my book

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
capt'n'caveman said:
way too flamable to be used on a hot engine bay if you ask me.....but it is freon, so it is cold....not worth the risk in my book
That's why you let the car sit for a while with the hood open :)
No smoking or sparks around please... But it works! He had no probs doing it. Give your intercooler a Mr. Frosty ;)

But I'm sure there are other coolants you can use that come in a spray. How about whipcream ? ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gusto said:
if you have whippits and waste them on your engine..

well thats a waste. ;)
Now whip it! :wiggles:

I could just see a punch of cream suds flying out from under the car going down the quarter:tongue:

·
Registered
854 Posts
What about a CO2 bottle for a paintball gun, say a 20oz bottle, and a paintball bottle remote cord (For those who don't know, this is the cord that attaches to the tank and the gun so you can wear the bottle on your back and not have all the wieght on the gun)? That may be an awesome way. You flip the bottle over and it is just straight liquid CO2, which turn into dry ice when it comes into contact with oxygen. I used to work at a paintball store and just thought of that. That would probably work awesome. Just don't leave the bottle in you car on a hot day;) !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
04silver bullet said:
What about a CO2 bottle for a paintball gun, say a 20oz bottle, and a paintball bottle remote cord (For those who don't know, this is the cord that attaches to the tank and the gun so you can wear the bottle on your back and not have all the wieght on the gun)? That may be an awesome way. You flip the bottle over and it is just straight liquid CO2, which turn into dry ice when it comes into contact with oxygen. I used to work at a paintball store and just thought of that. That would probably work awesome. Just don't leave the bottle in you car on a hot day;) !

Try it! don't have to hook it up.. just get under the hood.. frost it up and tell us if you feel more pull!

·
Registered
854 Posts
NightShifter said:
Try it! don't have to hook it up.. just get under the hood.. frost it up and tell us if you feel more pull!

Yeah, I wasn't talking about hooking it up to the car somehow, I was thinking of just carrying it in the car to the track just like you would any other cooling method (bag of ice, can of keyboard duster, ect.) and using it on the I.C. before I pull out of the staging lane to line up at the tree. I wonder if the track personel will have a problem with me spraying a white fog underneath my hood before running though? I mean if people use Co2 and the halo on their IC with cooler setups, why wouldn't this help or work? Granted it won't work as well as the Ntercooler systems since that can be used while running down the track almost like Nitrous but it's gotta help more than ice would in the staging lanes or pre stage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
04silver bullet said:
Yeah, I wasn't talking about hooking it up to the car somehow, I was thinking of just carrying it in the car to the track just like you would any other cooling method (bag of ice, can of keyboard duster, ect.) and using it on the I.C. before I pull out of the staging lane to line up at the tree. I wonder if the track personel will have a problem with me spraying a white fog underneath my hood before running though? I mean if people use Co2 and the halo on their IC with cooler setups, why wouldn't this help or work? Granted it won't work as well as the Ntercooler systems since that can be used while running down the track almost like Nitrous but it's gotta help more than ice would in the staging lanes or pre stage.
Like I said... the improvement times on the car was .5 secs in the 1/4.. which is awesome.. but yes.. timing is everything... you need to spray it before your turn is up...

He waited till nobody was really in line... sprayed it.. pulled up to be next.. and bam! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts