ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had an issue recently where both of my cooling fans are constantly running... I have read posts on here and have taken action according to what I thought it might be. First off I replaced my radiator which needed replacement anyways. Problem was still there though. So I went to replace my thermostat but after taking it out and testing it, it tested OK. So today I replaced the cooling fan sensor but the fans are still running anytime the car is on.. not just the engine but even if I just turn the battery on. I'm getting frustrated because I just want my car's fans to stoooooooooop... btw the engine's temp isn't abnormally high or anything either. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,378 Posts
Is the A/C on, or is the interior selector set to defrost?

There is a logic check that should generate a CEL for abnormal fan behaviour.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh did forget to mention there is a CEL light on.. but my speed sensor is bad ( my next project) so I wasn't sure if it was only on because of that. And no the A/C isn't on as well as interior defrost but the fans still come on. Also what is a logic test?

·
29,378 Posts
Oh did forget to mention there is a CEL light on.. but my speed sensor is bad ( my next project) so I wasn't sure if it was only on because of that. And no the A/C isn't on as well as interior defrost but the fans still come on. Also what is a logic test?
OK I'm beginning to suspect that fixing the CEL will fix the fan issue. By logic test I meant the ECU will figure out if there is a problem with the fan circuit. So are you getting these two CEL codes:

P0483 Cooling fan function problem
P0500 Vehicle speed sensor malfunction

or what?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to take it somewhere to get it checked.. but I can say that after I reconnected the battery, initially the CEL was off and the fans were acting normal.. but after it came on again the fans started up again... I can only assume there is a speed sensor code that will show up and I will have to check to see about the cooling fan code. If it does throw the cooling fan code, what should I do to correct the issue?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
or are you saying that it won't be fixed until I fix the speed sensor too.. and that as long as the CEL is on it will keep the fans on ( almost as a safety precaution from the ECU)?

·
29,378 Posts
OK, if the ECU complains about a fan malfunction I suspect it would be from the fans not working, rather than working constitutively. Still I seem to remember working out this issue with another poster a while back (search for fan problems, I bet it's still there somewhere).

Does your speedo work?

See:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/gener...th-radiator-fans-supposed-work-same-time.html
and
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/gener...s/134325638-both-cooling-fans-constantly.html

I suspect the speed sensor has something to do with the fans on but have no experience with it. Just a suspicion.

If not, a relay stuck.

Wait -- are you in test mode? Are the two connectors under the dash that engage test mode connected? Because the symptoms do fit.

·
29,378 Posts
Bump for test mode as reasonable guess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well today I checked the relays in the fuse box.. all were good. However I noticed new coolant everywhere so I knew somewhere there was a leak. I eventually found that the upper radiator hose had been cut by the cooling fan on the passenger side. Apparently somehow the hose was positioned in a way that it was way too close to the fan. Not sure if this has something to do w/ the fans always being on ( being that the system couldn't pressurize.) I will have a new hose here on June 2nd. I also took the car to get a diagnostic check which threw a Speed sensor fail code as well as a P0519 code which is idle air control malfunction. Looks like I have my hands full w/ this car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts