Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With old turbo charged engines it was recomended that you let the engine idle for 30 secs to a minute before shutting it off. Especially when it was a hard drive to your destination. Is this necessary with the 2002 WRX's?

·
2,210 Posts
I believe that Subaru claim that it isn't necessary, but many owners take precautionary measures anyway. I always go easy on the boost for the last 5 minutes of any ride, and sometimes let it idle for 30 seconds or so.

The only foolish thing you could probably do would be to really thrash the car, get the turbo glowing nicely, and then abruptly shut off the motor. Many people buy turbo timers so they don't have to worry about this sort of thing.

-Pace

·
Registered
932 Posts
Subaru says no, it's not necessary. I do it anyway. Really, it's just the amount of time it takes to turn off the fan, the radio, put away the cell phone, etc. I've made it a habit to turn off the engine last just before exiting the car.

Frankly, I think it's far more important to vigilantly make sure your engine is warmed up before allowing your turbo to engage.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Yes by all means properly warm up your turbo! I was stupid and didn't before driving 90 miles and POOF...CEL :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Turbo cool down

Do we really need to let the turbo cool down before we stop the car. i know in some of the other turbo car this is a must but i am not sure about the wrx. i have heard no. what damage can it really do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
well we just talked about it. The manual says it doent have to be.

Here is how I personaly figure it.

If your planning on replacing the turbo, Let it cool for a minute and then shut off the car. A few miles befre the parking area, LAY OFF THE BOOST.

If you are going to keep the stock turbo, buy yourself a Turbo Timer. For 100 bucks it would SURE AS helll save your butt from any problems you MIGHT have down the road.

-John

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
black99gt said:
A few miles befre the parking area, LAY OFF THE BOOST.

-John
I have a forced induction specific book, and the author says basicaly what you just did. He mentions how he would rather see a car run at low RPM (he said 1500-2000) for a short while, than to just sit and idle. He stated that keeping the engine moving slightly quicker obviously gives much higher oil flow to the turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts