Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in a warm temperature environment, such as houston - which stays at 90 degress year round ;) is it really necessary to have a 50/50 mix of coolant and antifreeze?

since theres probably NO risk of temps getting that low, would it be ok to change it to say, a 80/20 coolant/antifreeze ratio instead? or perhaps even do away with the antifreeze in the first place?

·
1,377 Posts
Antifreeze also has a preventative aspect of not boiling either. So no, don't do away with the antifreeze mix. Take a look at what is best for your environment. You may not need the freeze protection, but you will need the boil protection.

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well considering the lack of um...what's that stuff called?....COLD :D down here in texas, i'd like to do away with some of the antifreeze mix at least. so what would a reasonable ratio be?

btw i can alter this when summer comes along and it gets to 100 degrees, but i'm talking about for right now

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Why?

Glycol is good stuff. As I understand it, glycol boils at 212 degrees as does water. When combined, the boiling temp of the mixture is increased. So you not only get protection from cold, you are also protected from overheating.

X

·
1,377 Posts
I would look at a bottle of antifreeze. From what I remember 50/50 is ideal for not boiling over. Or you can try what all the bike guys use for track days. It's called water wetter, add that to water and you have a boil over protection but none (at least that I know of) freeze protection. I would avoid using less than a 50/50 mix of antifreeze unless you use water wetter in my opinion.

·
1,377 Posts
Maybe this'll clear it up for you. Take a look at this page: Howstufworks.com

That shows you (being in a warmer climate) actually want more coolant that water (a 70/30 mix) to achieve a better boil point.

Hope that helps a little more.

·
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks!

i know i don't have the absolute need for a better cooling system, since the stock sys does a pretty good job by itself. i was just looking for ways to improve on it - something that might help out a lil bit in the long run :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts