ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry guys posted this in maintenance but i really need help now and i know more people look here

just got my stage 4 done and i am trying to put in coolant but my car will not take it! The heat got up to the third line before i shut it off basically i put in coolant to fill up resivoir and i maybe have gotten a little in but the car was over heating to much so i had to shut it off! So the coolant isnt going into the system! WHat is going on i need help!:(

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I had the same thing when I dumped my coolant out, you probably have an air pocket...where are you adding coolant to? Radiator or the resevoir by the turbo? Maybe you didn't attach one of the lines correctly or pinched something off...my car didn't want to take anymore coolant so I took it for a test drive, car started to go up towards the red so I pulled over...then for some reason the radiator would take fluid...but if the radiator isn't taking fluid that might mean your system is full, is there coolant in the overflow tank?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Definitely sounds like an air pocket to me. You have to be patient and work out the bubbles. I think the problem is that the radiator isn't the highest point in the system. I've heard some people disconnect the top hose and fill from there. :confused:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Air bubbles

Can you tell us more about your stage 4 and how you had to work on or around your cooling system? Perhaps FMIC? It is quite possible that air bubbles are your problem. If so, to get rid of them you what to make your radiator CAP the highest point in the system. You can put the front of the car on ramps or jack stands or if you have a good steep incline that will work too. Once you have done this (with a cool engine) remove the radiator cap and start the car. Bubbles want to go up so this should force them to the top, ie your radiator cap opening. You may even see or hear them come out.

If you drained your cooling system how much were you able to put back in? I know this maybe a dumb question but if you removed or replaced your thermostat make sure you put it back facing correctly with the little bobble thing to the top.

Hope this helps you!

Eric

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
all i did was drain coolant. So should i be adding coolant in the resivoir by the turbo or into the radiator? Also i cant really see my overflow becasue i hae the perrin now because i have the perrin fmic!

i think one of my hoses was pinched i now have about 6 liters of coolant in but i think it is still a bit low, should i go take a run around the block or what i had it running at my house for about 20 minutes? And it didnt over heat

·
Registered
224 Posts
Did you have the heater on when filling it. You will het a lot of air collect in there. Having the knob in the hot position will let the coolant pass through. Then, run the car with the filler cap off, the level should drop as the air works it way out. Also, blipping the throttle with the cap off will force a lot of air to the top.

·
Registered
27 Posts
DrewToTheC said:

i think one of my hoses was pinched i now have about 6 liters of coolant in but i think it is still a bit low, should i go take a run around the block or what i had it running at my house for about 20 minutes? And it didnt over heat
You can also check if there are air bubbles because usually when you turn the heat on, cold air comes out of the vents.

The coolant capacity is more like 8.1 liters. Take the radiator cap off, start the car with the heater on, and then let it run for about 10-15 mins or until the thermostat opens and the fans come on. I would only refill the reservoir to about 1/2 to 3/4 full. It will keep dropping but don't overfill it. Usually just a single cycle like this gets all of the air out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i drove it around the block a few times no overheating. I then came back let it cool took off the resivoir cap and turn on the heat and the air was hot, eventually the coolant came up and overflowed from the resivoir so what does that mean that it is completely full? after i turned off the car the level went down and was no longer overflowing.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,982 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i ran it with the actual radiator cap off and it started to overflow everywhere then i tried the resivior cap and it overflowed so i think i may be full but i dont no. I have the perrin fmic so i cant see if the coolant level is low or not so i dont no? My heat works right away though and the car isnt overheating!

·
Registered
498 Posts
flush the coolant by taking off the bolt under the car (RTFM!!!!), then unscrew the black air cap. its a little plastic piece on the left side of your radiator that takes a starhead screwdriver. Remove the resevior.

Dump the contents of the resevior into the same can that you let the coolant drain into.

Put the coolant bolt you pulled off from under the car back on. Then put the empty resevior back on and unscrew the cap that says "CAUTION DO NOT OPEN WHEN HOT." Trust me on this, i opened while it was hot...and while it didnt burn my hand off, it sprayed the engine bay with dirty coolant.

Ok so now you should have put the underbody bolt back on, taken off the air cap and the radiator cap. Fill SLOWLY the radiator till you see green liquid about to flow out. Wait ten minutes. Come back and see if it flowed down and you cant see green anymore. Repeat. Keep doing this till it wont take anymore green. Then screw the air cap back on and put on the radiator cap. You are done, wash your hands because that crap is really sticky when it dries on your skin.

Start car and let idle until operating temperature is reached.

Drive up and down the block, then back into your driveway.

Walk up and down the block to see if there are any leaks. Be careful not to think that fluid that ran off if you got it on other engine parts is a leak.

Drive your car to the local donut shop
Buy one chocolate donut.
Drive home.

Check for leaks again. Youll see a new trail of fluid usually if it is leaking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts