ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've got a 2004 WRX wagon, and recently it developed a severe coolant leak from a hose very close to the turbo. I know exactly where it's leaking, but I'm just having a hard time finding out what the hose is called so I can order a replacement. In the picture below, you can actually see the stream of coolant coming from the hose. Look just to the right of the bottom right corner of the heat shield.

I was thinking it might be one of the ancillary hoses, since my searches led me to those kits, but after watching the install videos it's clear that those kits don't replace this hose. Looking around, I noticed the hose has some metal shielding around it (similar to one of the other hoses you can see running horizontally in the picture, in the lower half).

It's for sure a coolant line. I can tell by the white smoke that was generated, and the smell. Also, the residue that's now on the turbo and the floor is green.

Thanks in advance for any help. Also, if you have suggestions for a good way to find out things like this, I'd welcome those. It's hard to find good diagrams online. I've been thinking of buying a Haynes or Chilton manual, but I'm not sure if they're very helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not sure why I didn't come across this before, but I looked up the turbo coolant lines, and it looks like this is one of them. Luckily, you can get it for pretty cheap from Subaru. While I'm in there, maybe it would be worth it to replace some other lines that are likely to fail. There are several other pieces of the turbocharger assembly that I could also get from the dealer for cheap. Any suggestions on what else I'd want to replace?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Being that the car is 15 yrs old all the vacuum, PCV and coolant hoses should be checked for embrittlement. Check the air hoses from the airbox to the intake manifold. They are known to crack with age. If the turbo is working properly, leave it alone. Best not to create a problem where there is none.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts