ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My coolant level is 2 inches above the full line, dealer says its normal when the engine is hot and that it will go down when cold and its better to have a little more then a little less. On my old truck (diesel) the coolant would go down when its hot and up when it was cold. Is this normal for subarus? Car has 10 miles, 2011 wrx base.

P.s. Engine was at full operating temperature when picture was taken.

Sent from tapatalk.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Perfectly normal.. coolant expands when hot.. thus, the extra area it takes up.

Your truck should have done the same... unless some other part of the cooling system also expanded enough to make it look low. *shrug* dunno what to tell ya about that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the motor is cool now and just took another picture and it looks like it has not moved at all. I even took off the radiator cap to vent any pressure. When my truck had blown headgaskets the coolant would "puke" out of the cap like the picture. Again car has around 10 miles and I have not gone over 4k rpm.

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,463 Posts
Is the coolant around the rad cap due to the cap being opened under pressure? If so there is no indication anything is wrong with the car. If not suspect the rad cap is faulty. Again though, ONLY if the rad cap has not been opened under pressure to cause the spilt coolant around the top of the black reservoir.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the coolant around the rad cap due to the cap being opened under pressure? If so there is no indication anything is wrong with the car. If not suspect the rad cap is faulty. Again though, ONLY if the rad cap has not been opened under pressure to cause the spilt coolant around the top of the black reservoir.
Pic was taken before cap was removed. I has been like that sense the first time I opened the hood when I got home from the dealership.

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,463 Posts
That is odd. Ask the dealer about it.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
If I am not mistaken it will take at least a couple of hours for the coolant to cool down.Check again in the morning.

And I wouldn't take off the radiator cap too often.Doing this you are introducing air into the system.

But that coolant around the turbo reservoir is strange, if it did not bubble out when you opened the cap when it was hot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts