ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NYC (New York City) and went to go visit my parents in Long Island. They live in a gated community with a big pond that is frequented by Canadian Geese. At about 7:30pm my GF and I were headed back to the city when she says "look hunny a big goose, it look like it's hurt". I then got out of the car and walked towards it and it was shreiked! that was no goose, it spread it's wings and it had a 4.5ft wingspan not to mention RAZOR SHARP TALONS!!!!! and a beak, it was a HUGE HAWK!

It's wing was broken so I made an effort to rescue it, i tried to sneak up on it but he kept hissing and aiming his talons at me, after rememberring my Discovery chanel lessons i took a beach towel from the back of my car and threw it over him....it instantly calmed him down.

i managed to wrap him up in the towl and let me tell you i never though a bird could be this strong, it was so powerful and all i could think of is to stay away from it's beak/talons....for 1 hour my GF and i drove around long island for 1 hour trying to find a place that'll take the bird...

We go into the 1st precinct in Syosset and got information on an animal hospital that would take her....Drove tot he hospital and got a positive id that this was a juvenille Red tail hawk/ossprey....juvenille?..yes they end up with a 6 foot wingspan:D

all in all i'm happy that it was ok....they;re on the protected species list....

cliff notes:

found big ass bird, rescued it, felt good doing it..

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
:eek:
That is freakin' cool! Glad you took the time to save the thing. Those are some mighty birds. We see them out in the fields of eastern Colorado a lot.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
djrez4 said:
:eek:
That is freakin' cool! Glad you took the time to save the thing. Those are some mighty birds. We see them out in the fields of eastern Colorado a lot.
it was well worth it, it took a lot of time, a ripped beach towel and some dirty jeans but i'll do it again if i had to...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Integra96 said:
You're braver than me. I'd worry about that thing kicking my ass in the car. Nice work!
his talon ripped through the beach towel i screamed like little girl in prison, we put him in an optima truck battery box after that:)

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
SLOW4EAT said:
his talon ripped through the beach towel i screamed like a virgin in prison, we put him in an optima truck battery box after that:)
Oh my. I think I may have shatted involuntarily if that happened to me. :eek3:

·
Registered
461 Posts
You are twice cool my friend.
Once for taking the time and effort to help an animal, and twice for actually taking a risk of getting hurt to do it. One good swipe with one of those claws could have seriously focked you up.

Mad props!

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
you da' man.. what you did = very very cool..

However.. Next time take some pics and post geez...hehehe :D

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Thats cool...I saved a swan that was trapped in a baseball field the other day. His powerful beak shreaded into my muscle and sinew with little effort..... actually I just nicked my finger on the fence and screamed lke a girl cause I thought it bit me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts