ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's a big deal.

It used to not be all that much of a production with race cars, since it was just pretty much the pedals and steering, but new production cars are a pain, and that just might be the understatment of the month.

I've seen a couple of higher end cars that have been swapped, and did one porshe a while ago, but i just ran across this a few weeks ago. I think this outlines the process pretty well- http://www.kingpinperformance.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21

or if you want a play by play http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-387183.html

So I think that should be more than enough to dissuade you. If you're desparate for the RHD (and it's fun by the way; I have to admit I prefer it over lhd) then my personal suggestion would be to source one from japan or austraila and then install all of your aftermarket stuff on that. The swap is complicated, time consuming, expensive, and if I read correctly, possibly illegal.

Good luck

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry for the double post, but I just realized I diddn't exactly respond directly to your question.

Generally, the process needs different dash, different seats (they are usually driver specific) sometimes new hvac plumbing, sometimes new wireing harness, new steering wheel, new linkage and rack; possibly a whole new steering set up, which may or may not imply new suspension, new airbag module (i assume on that one; i've never dealt with swapping airbag sides), new pedal linkage, new electronics for door, (window switches etc), and a mess of little things. There's definatly some welding and cutting of the firewall too.

Also, you might run into a clearence problem with the motor/turbo/exhaust assembly with the steering, so maybe new headers or exhaust, or an inventive steering linkage. Not sure on that one but certinally something to look at if you're serious about it. You'll definatly have to do some sort of re orgainzation in the engine compartment to make stuff fit.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Going through the drive-thru is gonna be a *****.

Peeking around RVs to check for oncoming traffic on Angeles Crest won't be easy, either.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the feedback, i saw an earlier integra with an RHD swap, and i was just curious on what exactly what would need to be done on a wrx, and i know its gonna be pricey. plus just rolling up somewhere and getting out of the passenger side would be siiick :wiggles:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Butterflie said:
Anthony, talk to Greg... I'm sure he can help you out or give you ideas on where to get stuff... y'know, with all his JDM hookups and all that. PM if you need his cell...
good call! yea i'll probibly call him this week just to see what he says. i got other plans first, i just thought i'd throw up this idea in the air, and see what others have done

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
But WHY? are you moving to England or something? It'd be a lot easier to just buy one there. Get yourself a used RB 5!

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
anthonywrx said:
thanks for the feedback, i saw an earlier integra with an RHD swap, and i was just curious on what exactly what would need to be done on a wrx, and i know its gonna be pricey. plus just rolling up somewhere and getting out of the passenger side would be siiick :wiggles:
Are you sure it was a RHD swap? There are a few JDM Integras around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I just moved from San Francisco to Brisbane Australia and no one ever stated a price for the swap. I'm gonna spend over 10k on a new car and it only costs 3500 to ship so if it's less than 6500 I'd do the swap . In Australia any car after 1989 needs to be right hand side drive. Does anyone have a link or know anyone to help me price it out? I drive a 2015 wrx limited with prolly 20000 in aftermarket parts so I kinda want my car over buying a different one here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts