ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else received their recall notice for this?
I dropped off my car the other day at the dealer, the control arms failed and i'm now driving a loaner for a while.
Anything else i should take note of? has anyone suggested putting on the Sti lower control arms and got the dealer to do that?
Probably a stupid question but just killing time. Lead time for new arms was 3 days....

·
Registered
226 Posts
yeah i got the recall notice for it i think it had to do with rust too. Mine are fine no rust i try to clean the undercarriage alot in the winter from the salt but yea why did they say yours failed...bushings??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said it was the bushings but the whole thing was pretty rusted out. They were able to poke through it quite easily....
we'll see how long it takes now to swap them out

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
It is certainly worth asking if they would install the aluminum if you were to provide / buy them. If you autox or track the car the aluminum arms would be a plus. Where are you located? My dealer said most they see are OK.

I've got them on my 2004 WRX, so the recall did not affect me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
back from the dead

anyone know if this is still in effect? my passenger side control arm is pretty rusted out can see daylight thru them. is there a limit on mileage you must be under?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I'm going to go in and see if they will do mine ('03 wagon) as they look kind of shabby.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wouldn't go in unless you know they will fail the punch test, otherwise they will just coat it with penetrating oil and wax and the recall is closed out, cannot be tested again in the future.

Just PM me your VIN and I will see if the recall is open.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I wouldn't go in unless you know they will fail the punch test, otherwise they will just coat it with penetrating oil and wax and the recall is closed out, cannot be tested again in the future.

I may PM you later if it stops raining again.

How does the punch test work? I have some punches....

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a large spring loaded punch, we rest up against a specific portion of the control arm, top and bottom and then fire the punch. If it punches a hole that a paper clip can go through, you get new control arms and ball joints. If it doesn't punch a hole, you get control arms soaked in oil and then covered in wax and the recall is complete.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
We have a large spring loaded punch, we rest up against a specific portion of the control arm, top and bottom and then fire the punch. If it punches a hole that a paper clip can go through, you get new control arms and ball joints. If it doesn't punch a hole, you get control arms soaked in oil and then covered in wax and the recall is complete.
Ball joints too? I'll definitely wait until it will fail then. Are any '03s covered?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Yes. I have the kit in my car, mine passed, but since I can buy the recall kit, it only cost me 128.00.

Cool, thanks much for the info.

·
slow no mo' !
795 Posts
Since there's a few of us on here: Same recall exists in Canada for the 02-07 Impreza (link below), and another for cruise control on the 04-05 WRX ("Modify search")

Canadian Road Safety Recalls Database

·
Registered
137 Posts

Is this still open for some states?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts