ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just farting around during lunch today, Had the AC on just enjoying myself. I'm on a fairly desolate back road just enjoying the scenery and two little Rboys in a mazda 3 with HUGE aluminum wing and typical 5" fart can decide to toy with me, goosing it past me, revving as they pass me, you know the bit. I just ignored them for a while but it got old VERY quick. We got side by side at a light and I hear this ferocious rev, but it didn't sound like it the mazda an it didn't sound like it came from beside me. I look in my rear view mirror and there's what seems to be a ford contour behind me, and NOTHING else anywhere. The light turns and the 3 chirps his tires, I get a beautiful launch dealing out the mazda so fast it wasn't even funny, but this freaking contour is two cars behind me and isn't falling behind an inch, I let off at 60 and just coasted for a few. The contour gets next to me and is just grinning. We hit the next light and he revs, holy crap did that thing sound mean, but WTH it's a contour. Well as it usually happens when I'm against something interesting my foot is shaking bad. The light turns and I get an ok launch, nothing breath taking but enough to yank a half car on him, but that's it. Through second he stays right at my rear door and shifts just slightly before me, and we end up in the exact same place, through second he's not gaining at all, but not losing an inch, then he goes to third and shortly after I do as well and finally I'm slowly creeping on him. I got him at my bumper the let off because I saw traffic about a half mile up and homey don't play in traffic. He comes up next to me nodding and gives a great big thumbs up soI return it and we part ways. When he passed me to get in the turn lane, I noticed was an SVT badge, and a NICE rear valence with some meaty looking twin exhaust.

Right now I only have maddad twindump dp, maddad 3ce, helix up, gpmoto silencer delete(I was hoping to hear more of the turbo, I love the whine, but it's barely audible still), perrin AF, and a cobb AP running CA 91 stg 2 map on an 05 wagon.(I have a few other toys in boxes, but no time lately) I was surprised that this thing kept with me like that, I had no idea there was such a thing as a quick contour. I'm sure it didn't help that it was currently 101° and I'm sure I was heatsoaked pretty bad from just farting around, but I left the 3 exactly as I was expecting, the contour surprised the hell out of me, and I was thankful he was cool enough to give the thumbs up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
this should help you a lil.. they are quick cars......


Year 1999
Powertrain Layout FF
Make Ford Base Price $23200
Model SVT Contour Production 6535
Engine & Transmission Body / Chassis
Configuration Duratec V6 Weight 1374 kg / 3029 lbs
Valvetrain DOHC Length 4671 mm / 183.9 in
Displacement 2537 cc / 154.8 cu in Width 1755 mm / 69.1in
Power 149.1 kw / 199.9 bhp @ 6600 rpm Height 1387 mm / 54.6 in
Torque 229.13 nm / 169.0 ft lbs @ 5500 rpm Wheelbase 2705 mm / 106.5 in
Bhp / Liter 78.79 bhp per litre Front Track 1503.7 mm / 59.2 in
Bore 82.4 mm / 3.2 in Rear Track 1485.9 mm / 58.5 in
Stroke 79 mm / 3.1 in Steering rack and pinion, power assist
Redline 6750 Body / Frame steel/steel
Transmission Type 5-speed manual Front Brakes vented disc
1st Gear Ratio 3.06 Front Brake Size 278 mm / 10.9 in
2nd Gear Ratio 2.14 Rear Brakes vented disc
3rd Gear Ratio 1.45 Rear Brake Size 251 mm / 9.9 in
4th Gear Ratio 1.03 Front Wheels 41 x 17 cm / 16.1 x 6.7 in
5th Gear Ratio 0.77 Rear Wheels 41 x 17 cm / 16.1 x 6.7 in
6th Gear Ratio Not Available Front Tires BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW, 215/50ZR-16
Final Drive Ratio 4.06 Rear Tires BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW, 215/50ZR-16
Performance
Top Speed 230.1 kph / 143.0 mph 0 - 60 mph 6.9
0 - quarter mile [email protected] 91 mph 0 - 100 mph 19.1
Lateral Acceleration 0.86 EPA City/Hwy 29 mpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
illusion said:
I was just farting around during lunch today, Had the AC on just enjoying myself. I'm on a fairly desolate back road just enjoying the scenery and two little Rboys in a mazda 3 with HUGE aluminum wing and typical 5" fart can decide to toy with me, goosing it past me, revving as they pass me, you know the bit. I just ignored them for a while but it got old VERY quick. We got side by side at a light and I hear this ferocious rev, but it didn't sound like it the mazda an it didn't sound like it came from beside me. I look in my rear view mirror and there's what seems to be a ford contour behind me, and NOTHING else anywhere. The light turns and the 3 chirps his tires, I get a beautiful launch dealing out the mazda so fast it wasn't even funny, but this freaking contour is two cars behind me and isn't falling behind an inch, I let off at 60 and just coasted for a few. The contour gets next to me and is just grinning. We hit the next light and he revs, holy crap did that thing sound mean, but WTH it's a contour. Well as it usually happens when I'm against something interesting my foot is shaking bad. The light turns and I get an ok launch, nothing breath taking but enough to yank a half car on him, but that's it. Through second he stays right at my rear door and shifts just slightly before me, and we end up in the exact same place, through second he's not gaining at all, but not losing an inch, then he goes to third and shortly after I do as well and finally I'm slowly creeping on him. I got him at my bumper the let off because I saw traffic about a half mile up and homey don't play in traffic. He comes up next to me nodding and gives a great big thumbs up soI return it and we part ways. When he passed me to get in the turn lane, I noticed was an SVT badge, and a NICE rear valence with some meaty looking twin exhaust.

Right now I only have maddad twindump dp, maddad 3ce, helix up, gpmoto silencer delete(I was hoping to hear more of the turbo, I love the whine, but it's barely audible still), perrin AF, and a cobb AP running CA 91 stg 2 map on an 05 wagon.(I have a few other toys in boxes, but no time lately) I was surprised that this thing kept with me like that, I had no idea there was such a thing as a quick contour. I'm sure it didn't help that it was currently 101° and I'm sure I was heatsoaked pretty bad from just farting around, but I left the 3 exactly as I was expecting, the contour surprised the hell out of me, and I was thankful he was cool enough to give the thumbs up.

Even before reading your post I knew it was a Contour SVT that you had encountered. Yes, there are quick Contours and <gasp> Tauruses (SHO). They will edge out the SVT in a straight line, but the SVT owns in the twisties.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was really really(I feel like saying really a few more times, but you get the point) Nice sounding. Just downright mean, it had the cackle of a catless car when he was revving it, and a real nice tone. It was pretty nice looking also, the body kit on it looked good, and the twin pipes looked like they belonged on it. It was black, with pitch black windows, and his wheels looked like 5Zigen FN01Rs.

I had fun putting a cocky pre 99 mustang owner in place over the weekend and was feeling pretty good about myself until this damn contour. I suppose it's a worthy opponent, but my grandmother has a contour(sadly she really does) and I have this horrid mental image of my grandma rowing the gears and layng waste to me. I'm going to have nightmares for weeks. :eek:

I'm going to go hide under the covers some more. Thankfully I didn't slack or he definately would have molested me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I've known of one Contour SVT that was damn quick, but that was before I had my Rex so it's hard to make a comparison. All I know is they can be fast when modded correctly, and it sounds like this one was. If it wasn't a Ford I'd be all over it - there weren't many fast sedans before the WRX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
SVT contours can be made very fast. you can do a 3.0 liter swap to get to about 180-190 to the wheels then you can get the turbo kit which will put you at almost 300, only problem is lack of traction so they arnt fast off the line
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,777 Posts
Could be SVT, probably very highly modded. I've outrun SVT Contours with my PT before, so mods would be necessary to take a WRX (especially since they are supposed to have 200 hp stock).

RN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
scott144 said:
Why are you only running Stg1? With a downpipe and stock catback you can run stg2.
I'm not , I'm running "CA 91 stg 2 map" :D california crap gas 91 octane stage 2 map :) Although as of about 30 minutes ago I'm running the 93 octane HWG map with 5 gallons of 100 octane and the rest CA crap 91. It's surprisingly noticeable, especially how it doesn't yank timing just because it's too hot outside(5pm and still 97° bleck!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,068 Posts
SVT contours are pretty nice cars.... they stopped making them because they were the biggest POS's and fell apart easily, but the idea behind them was very cool.

the 98' contour had 200hp and something like 230tq. It had pretty good top end because of the highly tuned V6 and the trans was not bad at all. They normally would run anywhere from a 14.8-15.3 depending on the driver. It could definatly give a stock rex a run for its money from a roll, but he must have been VERY modded to keep up with a catless rex with AP. you are probably running mid 13's easily. for him to stay a few cars back, he was probably a low 14sec car..... which was very possible with these.

my uncles friend had one with some handling mods (handled very well) and other mods were (short throw, catback, headers, pulleys, and wheels) I cant remember what his best run was, but some of his runs were 14.6 and 14.4. So if this guy was running those mods with a shot of nitrous that would explain it... I also think there may have been a s/c put out for the car



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
joethesajin said:
SVT contours can be made very fast. you can do a 3.0 liter swap to get to about 180-190 to the wheels then you can get the turbo kit which will put you at almost 300, only problem is lack of traction so they arnt fast off the line
Which 3.0 liter is used for the swap? I wonder why they just don't go with the 3.2.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,777 Posts
DTR rex said:
SVT contours are pretty nice cars.... they stopped making them because they were the biggest POS's and fell apart easily, but the idea behind them was very cool.

the 98' contour had 200hp and something like 230tq. It had pretty good top end because of the highly tuned V6 and the trans was not bad at all. They normally would run anywhere from a 14.8-15.3 depending on the driver. It could definatly give a stock rex a run for its money from a roll, but he must have been VERY modded to keep up with a catless rex with AP. you are probably running mid 13's easily. for him to stay a few cars back, he was probably a low 14sec car..... which was very possible with these.

my uncles friend had one with some handling mods (handled very well) and other mods were (short throw, catback, headers, pulleys, and wheels) I cant remember what his best run was, but some of his runs were 14.6 and 14.4. So if this guy was running those mods with a shot of nitrous that would explain it... I also think there may have been a s/c put out for the car
I see SVT Contours out autocrossing FAR more often than drag racing.

RN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,711 Posts
Buddy of mine had a CSVT. Pretty nice car. Handled well, and yes, the exhaust sounds incredible! They're pretty fast for what they are, but there aren't many options for going faster in that car...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,525 Posts
One day my wife and I were driving around shopping for a couch and we pass like 4 or 5 SVT contours on different roads but didn't think much of it for a while. I guess they were having a meet or something because just before my exit I'm basically surrounded by them. The stockest looking one of them was in front and the rest were behind. I was in 4th around 3500rpms when I see carbon from his exhaust. Since my wife was there I just stayed in 4th and we were dead even for the short run that we had. And I had the A/C on. My wife wasn't too thrilled but all I could think was **** I should've went to 3rd.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top