Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '16 STi with a Stage 1 Cobb currently. I have not done the air intake yet, I will probably do that when I do the stage 2 kit.
I am looking at going Stage 2 and have been doing some research. I find a lot of information is either old or very scattered.

I am not a track guy, I just love to drive my car around the city. I have my old ladies blessing on this as long as I don't destroy my car haha.

My primary concerns:
  • Ringland failure - Seems a good protune and good gas resolve this?
  • General engine failure - not much needs to be said here.

My next set of questions:
  • Do I go Invidia or Cobb for the downpipe?
  • I need a cat + exhaust that is NY emissions compliant.
  • Bonus: Can anyone recommend a good etuner or someone in the NY area?

Please don't think I haven't attempted to answer these on my own, especially the ringland failure...it's just been a lot of being unsure.

· Super Moderator
3,438 Posts
My primary concerns:
  • Ringland failure - Seems a good protune and good gas resolve this?
Ringland Failure just kind of happens really. Yes a bad tune or modifying your car could increase the risk. But I am not aware of a magical remedy that fixes this problem like a protune and good gas. Ringland failure has been an issue with the EJ engines since their existence. I have seen stock cars fail, and I have seen 400whp cars on stock blocks go for 150k miles. Go stage 2, get a proper tune, and be happy. Say a little prayer to the Subaru gods that yours isn't one of the ones that blow. (which is like less than 5% of these cars btw) You'll be fine.

• General engine failure - not much needs to be said here.
Change your oil on time and regular, perform regular maintenance to the car as needed. Should prevent most of this.

My next set of questions:
  • Do I go Invidia or Cobb for the downpipe?
I wouldn't buy a cobb downpipe personally. Only thing you need to make sure of is that the downpipe has a high flow cat to meet cobbs map notes is you use a OTS map. So you have numerous choices for a downpipe. I would suggest the invidia or grimmspeed catted ones

• I need a cat + exhaust that is NY emissions compliant.
A catted downpipe will not pass the smog test if NY does that. It MIGHT pass a visual inspection, but I have read stories that some places wont pass the visual either.

• Bonus: Can anyone recommend a good etuner or someone in the NY area?
For etuning a lot of people like Eric at Torqued Performance. But as of late I have heard hit of miss things about him. The only protuner in that area I can think of is Precision Tuning.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
" A catted downpipe will not pass the smog test if NY does that. It MIGHT pass a visual inspection, but I have read stories that some places wont pass the visual either."

Does that mean in NY stage 2 won't pass inspection? If thats the case, what are my options?

· Super Moderator
3,438 Posts
It means one of two things. One, mod it, keep the stock parts, and when it comes time for inspection put the stock downpipe back on the car. After inspection, switch it back. Many people do it this way.

Second option, leave the car stock.

· Super Moderator
3,438 Posts
The only other option is if you know somebody, or know somebody that knows somebody, that does the inspections and will sign off on the inspection for you with the mods.

· Super Moderator
3,438 Posts
It depends what all you have done to the car. if you are just going stage 2, then yes. Just the downpipe would need to be changed. An aftermarket catback should be fine to pass. So you would just put the stock downpipe back on, flash the stage 1 map for the intake you have (if you have an intake) and should be good to go.

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,460 Posts
" A catted downpipe will not pass the smog test if NY does that. It MIGHT pass a visual inspection, but I have read stories that some places wont pass the visual either."

Does that mean in NY stage 2 won't pass inspection? If thats the case, what are my options?
Stage 2 should not pass inspection anywhere in the United States. Whether it does or not in practice is an empirical question. I'd leave the car legal but that's just me.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,792 Posts
Stage 2 should not pass inspection anywhere in the United States. Whether it does or not in practice is an empirical question. I'd leave the car legal but that's just me.
This.

A stage 2 car will not pass any inspection that's legit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, am I seeing this right, don't go stage 2? but isn't that the whole idea of owning a STi? I feel like not going Stage 2 would be a waste of potential...I mean, yes changing the downpipe is going to be annoying, but it's once a year...twice if you count re-doing it

· Registered
69 Posts
Where in NY? If you're on or near Long Island, look into Performance Auto in Deer Park. If you're upstate anywhere near Albany, look into Quantum Raceworks. Both seem to have very good reviews. I'm close to Quantum and plan on taking my car over there to get tuned once I finish collecting parts.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I understand. I just got more of a "not worth it" vibe. Not saying that's what they mean, but what I got. Just wondering how the people around me with a stage 2 do it. I'm joining a local forum and I'll ping them. Can never do too much research!

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,792 Posts
Where in NY? If you're on or near Long Island, look into Performance Auto in Deer Park. If you're upstate anywhere near Albany, look into Quantum Raceworks. Both seem to have very good reviews. I'm close to Quantum and plan on taking my car over there to get tuned once I finish collecting parts.
They find a podunk shop that doesn't care or they decide to swap it around each time. It's also worth noting that any issue that arises with your car after the stage 2 you should be prepared to pay out of pocket. Dealerships that will manage a miracle and find a way to get the warranty work accepted are a rarity and should not be counted on.

Many things can go catastrophically wrong and you should know that repairs are not always cheap. If you can't afford the worst case scenario out of pocket then keep yourself at the best case scenario.

· Registered
69 Posts
They find a podunk shop that doesn't care or they decide to swap it around each time. It's also worth noting that any issue that arises with your car after the stage 2 you should be prepared to pay out of pocket. Dealerships that will manage a miracle and find a way to get the warranty work accepted are a rarity and should not be counted on.

Many things can go catastrophically wrong and you should know that repairs are not always cheap. If you can't afford the worst case scenario out of pocket then keep yourself at the best case scenario.

I should have clarified in my post. I was only posting shops that are Cobb Pro Tuners that have good reviews in a couple different places in the state. I wasn't stating either were inspection stations that passed illegal cars. To be honest, I don't know if either shop is an inspection station or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.