ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m considering buying a 05 wrx and I’d just like to know what mechanical issues and just overall the stuff that can go wrong with the car

·
Æternum
15,163 Posts
A lot.

That particular car is 16-17 years old. We don't know any of the history here.

How many owners?
How many miles?
Is it unmodified?
How many timing belt services has it had?

The biggest problem with WRXs is the owners. Seriously, just look around these forums and you will see so many users and ex-users that want to poorly modify their vehicles and will not take any logical advice. If this is a one-owner car with an extensive service history, it may be an OK buy. If there are many owners and an opaque past... well it depends on how deep your pockets are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A lot.

That particular car is 16-17 years old. We don't know any of the history here.

How many owners?
How many miles?
Is it unmodified?
How many timing belt services has it had?

The biggest problem with WRXs is the owners. Seriously, just look around these forums and you will see so many users and ex-users that want to poorly modify their vehicles and will not take any logical advice. If this is a one-owner car with an extensive service history, it may be an OK buy. If there are many owners and an opaque past... well it depends on how deep your pockets are.
2005 Subaru Impreza · WRX Sedan 4D this is the link to the vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
346 Posts
It's been modded to hell. Stickers, tire decals, vortex generator, etc. $10k is an absurd amount of money for that pile of junk.
"..Maybe I need to retune it because I changed some sensors but it still pulls hard !!.." HAH!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,163 Posts
HAHAHAHAH does that person really think it's worth $10K?

Seems people are jokers these days.

Hard. Pass.

·
Æternum
15,163 Posts
"..Maybe I need to retune it because I changed some sensors but it still pulls hard !!.."
I was seriously about to edit and add this to my post and saw you posted it first. This is undoubtedly my favorite part.

Goddamn Subaru owners are the absolute worst.

Love how the person also puts "$585" in the title to try and grab clicks. I hope that car never sells.

OP - I sold my 2003 WRX in 2014 for 1/2 that price. Don't be put-off by these dipshits trying to pass off their half-assed projects for obscene dollar values. These aren't collectors cars.

·
10,511 Posts
Some idiot will pay that for the car, don't let it be you.

·
Æternum
15,163 Posts
Any time I see a car with Air Suspension I think "aww hell nawww," sorry no offense @stilletto , you were a VW fan right?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
346 Posts
It's my opinion that any WRX/STI over ten years old should only be purchased with intent to rebuild. Obvious exceptions being one owner time capsules.
The last WRX I bought had a ton of miles BUT came with service records. It was an '04 Wagon for $4k. Still, I planned for multiple failures.
Last year I paid $10k for a Rebuilt Evo 8. Not terrible considering rolling shells go for ~$7500. I rarely buy cars with branded titles but this one came with service records and the work order from the body shop. It's currently being built for drag.
I know I'm rambling but point is these cars are becoming more affordable to the younger crowd and when that happens everything goes to shit. If you plan on buying a Used WRX/STI, Evo, Civic Si, DSM or any other cheap performance car, expect the worse.

·
Æternum
15,163 Posts
these cars are becoming more affordable to the younger crowd and when that happens everything goes to shit
I remember my buddy telling me that we was very impressed with the lack of fuckery in the Ford Focus ST community back in 2013 when he bought his new.

I told him... "wait and see."

3 years later I nearly wet my pants watching a slammed 500whp Focus ST on bags trying to navigate an AutoX course. I think he spent at least 50% of each run facing the wrong direction. No doubt also riding on middling A/S rubber.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
346 Posts
Any time I see a car with Air Suspension I think "aww hell nawww," sorry no offense @stilletto , you were a VW fan right?
Haha! None taken!
When done right Air Suspension is awesome.
Aside from those two I also had a Bagged Evo X. That was only done because of a sponsorship from Airlift while they were finalizing that particular kit. Wouldn't run it on anything I was actually tracking though.

·
10,511 Posts
I remember my buddy telling me that we was very impressed with the lack of fuckery in the Ford Focus ST community back in 2013 when he bought his new.

I told him... "wait and see."

3 years later I nearly wet my pants watching a slammed 500whp Focus ST on bags trying to navigate an AutoX course. I think he spent at least 50% of each run facing the wrong direction. No doubt also riding on middling A/S rubber.
I rarely see them anymore. Not sure if the kiddos treed them all or they were unreliable nightmares.

·
Æternum
15,163 Posts
Haha! None taken!
When done right Air Suspension is awesome.
Aside from those two I also had a Bagged Evo X. That was only done because of a sponsorship from Airlift while they were finalizing that particular kit. Wouldn't run it on anything I was actually tracking though.

I'll keep saying it. Stanced cars look like broken cars 🤷‍♂️

I guess in that sense, bags make the whole endeavor slightly less dangerous, albeit slightly. I don't understand the trend of sacrificing so much functionality for a look, particularly when the look (like I said) is broken.

·
10,511 Posts
I've seen more FiST's lately. Now those are fun!

I prefer them over the focus, but being a tall portly fellow there is a limit to how compact a car can be. For instance I can't drive a miata unless I'm wearing ww1 style red barron goggles because my head sticks over the windscreen.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
346 Posts
I'll keep saying it. Stanced cars look like broken cars

I guess in that sense, bags make the whole endeavor slightly less dangerous, albeit slightly. I don't understand the trend of sacrificing so much functionality for a look, particularly when the look (like I said) is broken.
Both of these were laid out for quick pictures. Normal driving pressures kept the car just a bit lower than stock ride height. I'd also run more of a tucked setup to avoid rubbing as well. Not a fan of that camber stuff.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX
346 Posts
I prefer them over the focus, but being a tall portly fellow there is a limit to how compact a car can be. For instance I can't drive a miata unless I'm wearing ww1 style red barron goggles because my head sticks over the windscreen.
Yeah, I'm 6'2". The reason I still haven't owned an S2000.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts