ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just wandering if anyone has tried the 1-3-5 shifting method when casually driving. I know my friend with an eclipse does it all the time and says it works. Also This wouldn't screw up anything with the synchros would it? I'm just tired of paying 2 damn dollars a gallon and filling up once a week.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
if your filling up once a week, you either drive A LOT of miles, or you get into the turbo too much. i'f i'm trying to save gas, i'll shift between 2000-3000 rpms and never WOT....but that rarely happens:p

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bluerex47 said:
if your filling up once a week, you either drive A LOT of miles, or you get into the turbo too much. i'f i'm trying to save gas, i'll shift between 2000-3000 rpms and never WOT....but that rarely happens:p
Yes i've been driving 35 miles to work 35 miles back 3 times a week. Plus other daily driving. I really dont get into turbo that much, just when i feel the need. "the need, for speed" lol :p

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I normally fill here up twice a week.. And here the fuel cost about 5.2$ pr gallon..:eek:

Saving fuel is easy, don't go WOT or don't boost at all and you'll be fine.. Try to have the revs between 2000 and 3000rpms, but don't let the engine have to work hard (5gear [email protected] 1800rpms) because then you will burn more fuel than what you might do on a lower gear even if it means slightly higher rpms..

Jumping gears is ok and may contribute to less fuel usage, but the main thing is not to boost, just enjoy the smooth, economical acceleration of -0.2bar boost ;)

Personally I try to save fuel when I'm in a good mood and have lots of time to spare, but I'm often more like a 24/7 WOT person :D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
yeah i wouldn't skip shift, just take her out to 2-3k and shift, personally i dont know if this works cause i cant keep my foot out of it and all the roads around here are so smooth and straight, that 2nd and 3rd gear boost is so adicting....:D

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roffa said:
I normally fill here up twice a week.. And here the fuel cost about 5.2$ pr gallon..:eek:

Saving fuel is easy, don't go WOT or don't boost at all and you'll be fine.. Try to have the revs between 2000 and 3000rpms, but don't let the engine have to work hard (5gear [email protected] 1800rpms) because then you will burn more fuel than what you might do on a lower gear even if it means slightly higher rpms..

Jumping gears is ok and may contribute to less fuel usage, but the main thing is not to boost, just enjoy the smooth, economical acceleration of -0.2bar boost ;)

Personally I try to save fuel when I'm in a good mood and have lots of time to spare, but I'm often more like a 24/7 WOT person :D

Woah, 5.2 a gallon :eek: ... if that were the case here i would have to end up buying a hybrid toyota prius.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
My experience seems to be that being light on the throttle makes a bigger difference than keeping the revs low. I go ahead and rev to 3500-4000 in most gears, so that I can stay close to my powerband. (In case I need some thrust) But I'm light on the pedal until the time calls for it.

I've had 3 fillups since my VF34 went in. My mileage actually seems to have improved a tick. (About 27 mpg) I think it's because the bigger turbo lags just a bit more, so I'm not in boost until I really romp on it. This is with a pig rich Cobb map, too.

I hereby make my weekly plead to Cobb to release their AccessTuner product to the tuner community.:(

:Ray waits for Snowvert's inevitable jab...:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Actually RayfieldsWRX brings up something I've always been wondering. Is fuel consumption strictly dependant on throttle position, or engine load, or both?

For instance, with all being equal, will a car going up a hill at 3k RPM in 4th @ 70% throttle get better gas mileage than the same car going up the same hill at 5k RPM @ 50% throttle? This is assuming they're trying to keep the same speed.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Both I think...
And yes I think the fuel consumption might be the same..

Many times cars with bigger engines will burn less fuel because the engine don't have to work as hard to maintain speed..

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
I think gas mileage (in general, not necessarily on turbo cars) is most dependent on engine speed. Throttle position is also important, but not as much so, IMO.

I'm also very light on the throttle up to ~3,000 RPM or so when I'm trying to save gas. It seems to work, as I'm stock engine-wise and usually get 25mpg or so.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Integra96 said:
I think gas mileage (in general, not necessarily on turbo cars) is most dependent on engine speed. Throttle position is also important, but not as much so, IMO.
You sure can't prove this by me. I have some of the highest mpg numbers on the forum, but I sure don't keep the revs below 3000K. Maybe I'd get 40mpg if I shifted early!:wiggles:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts