Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted something along these lines in the performance area of the boards some weeks ago... Figure I might post it here as it would be better off here to begin with...

As far as I can see it... You can't use any mods that will trip the 'CHECK ENGINE' light without using a UTEC, XEDE, or any other kind of chip. I highly doubt the Prodrive Reflash will pass either.
Gutting the stock uppipe doesn't seem like an option now, unless, the sensor you can buy to prevent it from coming up won't be noticed by the OBD testing.

However, I do see this as possible...
If you do change the uppipe all all, have the fix for the CE light, and so on... And have the hardware to wipe the old data from the WRXs computer. You could essentually wipe out the old data, and when they plug in and to a check... "OK, you're all set. Have a nice day." However, that's considering the OBD scanning they do, doesn't notice some things are different, even though the CE light doesn't go on.

I'm guessing an OBDII hookup, and some general knowledge (or even a particular manual) of this would help.

Any thoughts?

~ Dan (Zapix)

Notice to All Motor Vehicle Owners
Important Changes to Connecticut’s Motor Vehicle
Emissions Testing Program

Major changes in motor vehicle emissions testing affect Connecticut vehicle owners as of June 28, 2002. Below is an explanation of those changes.

1. Temporary Rescheduling of Emissions Testing.
As a result of the implementation of changes to the emissions testing program, there will be no emissions testing for a period of time beginning June 28, 2002.

DMV will reschedule emissions tests for all vehicles required to be tested at any time from July 1 through the early spring of 2003. Your current due date for testing is indicated on your vehicle’s emission sticker located on your windshield. Please take a moment to check this date. Only test dates between July 1, 2002, and March 1, 2003, are expected to be affected. If your vehicle’s test is rescheduled, you will receive a notice later this year from DMV that will give you a new emissions test date and the locations of the new emissions testing sites. The fee for the emissions inspection test will not change ($20 for a sticker for two years and $10 for a sticker for one year) when the new emissions program commences in the spring of 2003.

For vehicles with expired stickers dated June 29 or older and have not yet been tested, the DMV will be providing an opportunity to have those vehicles tested when the testing services resume.

2. Certain New Vehicles Exempt from Testing for Up to Four Years
As a result of a change in state law effective July 1, 2002, motor vehicles whose model years are four years old and newer will be EXEMPT from emissions inspection requirements for up to four years. The exemption begins this year with model years 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003. The model years exempt will change each January with the newest model year added and the oldest of the four model years dropped.

All eligible vehicles registered before July 1, 2002, will receive, in a separate mailing from DMV, a special exemption sticker. The sticker will contain your new test date. For example, as of July 1, 2002, if you own or lease a 2002 model year vehicle that is currently registered, you will not be required to have the vehicle inspected until 2006. No action is necessary on the part of the vehicle owner, at this time.

Exempt vehicles that are registered after July 1, 2002, will be issued the appropriate exemption sticker at the time of registration, or at the time that a new vehicle is purchased or leased from a Connecticut dealer that is authorized to issue registrations.

3. Vehicles Not Tested or Passing a Test

Vehicles that failed the emissions test during June will have 30 days to have the free re-test when the program resumes operation in the spring 2003.

4. Enforcement on Owners with Expired Stickers

The department will be communicating and coordinating with law enforcement officials statewide to ask that citations for violations not be issued until the inspection program resumes operations in the spring.

Questions?

If you have any questions on either of the two changes, please call the DMV at 1-800-842-8222 (statewide) or (860) 263-5700 (in the Hartford area).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions
About the New Emissions Program
Will I be affected by an emissions test deferral?

If your emissions sticker expires between July 1, 2002 and the time the emissions program resumes, your vehicle's inspection date will be deferred. DMV will contact you by mail indicating your vehicle's next test date. Please make sure your current address is consistent with the DMV registration files. You can complete a change of address form online, at any DMV office, or by mail.

Will my vehicle be exempt from testing during the next four years?

As of July 1, 2002, new legislation exempts vehicles of model years 2000 through 2003. Affected vehicle owners will be notified by DMV and sent appropriate extension stickers indicating the date for their next inspection. A list of the geographic locations of the new program's 300 testing sites will be available by accessing the DMV web site, by contacting the DMV at 203-805-6244. You may also check with your local dealers or repairers to see if they are doing the tests.

Will the cost for an emissions test change?

The new program will keep costs to customers at the current rates. All inspections will be biennial with the test fee remaining at $20 for all eligible vehicles. An emissions test is not required for vehicles that are 25 years old or older. For new vehicles that are exempt from the emissions testing process, owners will pay an administrative fee. Connecticut residents who register a new vehicle, beginning initially with model years 2000 through 2003, will pay a $40 administrative fee. The $40 fee will also apply to model-year 2000 and newer vehicles coming from out of state to be registered in Connecticut.

Will the test on my vehicle be the same or different?

The testing process will be simpler for some vehicles. For vehicles 1996 and newer, a testing process called On Board Diagnostics (OBD) will be used. The test is performed by connecting to the vehicle's diagnostic computer and reading the trouble codes stored on the vehicle's internal computer. For vehicles 1995 and older, the current ASM dynomometer tailpipe test will continue to be used. Also, eligible diesel vehicles will continue to be tested for acceptable opacity levels.

If I need to get a test, where do I get a test?

Testing is currently suspended to allow time for a transition to the new system. When testing resumes, the Connecticut Vehicle Inspection Program will change from 25 centralized stations to a network of at least 300 licensed dealers and repairers spread across the state. You will need to either check with your local dealers or repairers to see if they are doing the tests, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at 203-805-6244, or check the DMV web site at http://www.ct.gov/dmv for a list of the stations doing tests in your area.

I own a dealership or garage and would like to participate in the test program. How do I get information?

Send a letter explaining your interest to:

Connecticut Stations
Agbar Technologies Inc.
444 North Michigan Ave., Suite 1110
Chicago, IL 60611

·
Registered
30 Posts
They are essentially reading the the IM240 monitors with OBDII. IM240 is a couple of laws passed a while back with OBDii that says your car has to have the ability to monitor itself reguarding emmissions(mostly) and performance.
When the inspector checks these monitors he can see if the car has done its self checks on things such as misfires, heated cats, cats, A.I.R., EVAP Emissionions, EGR, and other stuff. The inspector can also see if the computer is commanding the CEL on.
In Maine if the (1.)self monitors haven't run(ie; battery recently unplugged) that is reason for inspection failure. other reasons for OBDII inspection failure...
2. If scan tool cant communicate with car.
3. If CEL is commanded on but light is not on.
4. CEL is on and commanded on by PCM only when being inspected. (In other words it could have recent codes but if those codes aren't commanding a CEL at the time of inspection then it is not reason for inspection failure).
Most guys just look for a CEL and don't bother to inspect it with the scan tool even though they are supposed to. If you don't have a CEL then you have passed the OBDII part of inspection. I have inspected one car with a chip and other turbo goodies. It was an Audi A4 with a chip and the scan tool wouldn't communicate with it.
The other thing is that most of the monitors don't run right away. Some take several ignition cycles or certain run time perameters, so essentially brand new cars don't pass OBDII inspection and by law shouldn't get a sticker, until the dealers get upset and they make a special excemption for them.
So, get your inspection before you do any modifications:D Or get yourself a buddy in the inspection ring.;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Zapix said:

Gutting the stock uppipe doesn't seem like an option now, unless, the sensor you can buy to prevent it from coming up won't be noticed by the OBD testing.
I've not heard of anyone getting CEL's from just removing the pre cat. I do get a CEL every few weeks now that I've replaced the uppipe, downpipe and the third cat is now a TXS high flow, but even that should pass inspection with a MIL eliminator wired into the rear O2 sensor. Will a garage see that? Unlikely.

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts