Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Prodrive Stage 2 package last summer with plans of upgrading to Stage 3 in the spring when I had the money for it. Well I have been looking around and it seems most places are asking for 1499.00 dollars for the upgrade. I think this is totally insane, the price difference between a Stage 2 and Stage 3 is only 1230 dollars, so they are making valued customers who have already invested in Prodrive products pay extra fees to upgrade?? The other thing I don't understand is that every other vendor that sells chip reflashes, such as with the ecutek charges a one time fee to get the first reflash, then charges a nominal fee to cover labor and shipping the next time you want to reflash it again, maybe costs 50 bucks. Well I paid the one time fee to get my ecu reflashed from Prodrive, but now they want me to pay the full 500-650 dollars again just to get the Stage 2 upgraded to Stage 3, if anyone else thinks this is crazy please let me know. The way I see it a Stage 2 to Stage 3 upgrade should be 1000 dollars or less, to cover the Uppipe/Downpipe/labor for reflashing the ECU/Shipping.

I have been very happy with my Prodrive Stage 2 kit, and Prodrive has always been great to work with in regards to any problems or questions I have had, so hopefully they will correct this issue/problem and support the people who already own their products and want to keep on supporting Prodrive products. If not well, I guess I will have to go to some other vendor, but I would very much like to stay with Prodrive, but I also don't want to pay more then would be expected.

I know most will say just get a new DP and Utec or ECUteck reflash, but I would like to stay with the prodrive packages if possible. I am just posting this to get peoples thoughts and to inform other people with Prodrive stage kits, and those thinking about them.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
If you want, get the prodrive dp and then get accessport :). Upload your own maps. Or check WRX hackers and see if someone has a prodrive map clone type thing for the accessport.

*cough* buy a utec *cough*

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't get the prodrive dp by itself, or atleast no place I know of just sells its. Prodrive only sells stuff in packs.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I tried to e-mail him, bounced back, I will try again from home.

edit: just pm'd him, we will see what he says.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Yeah, Prodrive is pricey, but the quality of their products speak for themselves. I would agree that it seems silly that they charge a lot more to upgrade from stage 2 to 3. I bet if you contact them and express your concern, they might be able to swing something for you.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Cobb charged me $20 (+ shipping) to upgrade from their Stage 1 to Stage 2 maps. Prodrive is sort of a "premium" name in Subaru upgrades; perhaps their marketing folks believe that the market will bear the premium pricing. I know that it would be a little too steep for me to justify...

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, paying a 300 dollar premium in addition to paying the full cost of a reflash ~500-600 dollars is insane. Prodrive really is dropping the ball on this. Anyways right now I am looking into the Cobb AccessPort, and Possibly the UTEC. I like the Cobb since its really cheap, like 550 for the access port box, which lets you change things on the fly and upload new maps. Of course the UTEC can do this too, but requires the remote switch (which is 70 bucks extra) in addition to the cost of the utec ~900 dollars, So with that difference between 550-970 I can buy my downpipe. But we will see, still looking at all options.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Of course, it also depends on whether or not you think you'll be doing some tuning. I'm satisfied to let Cobb come up with the maps, and I'll just remap as needed.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
ah yes.... I can't wait till my tax return comes in....

Accessport here I come...

Cobb will later offer an upgrade for the accessport I beliieve called accesstuner, which will be comparable to the UTEC.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Chunks said:
ah yes.... I can't wait till my tax return comes in....

Accessport here I come...

Cobb will later offer an upgrade for the accessport I beliieve called accesstuner, which will be comparable to the UTEC.
True, however the cost is the same if not greater.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts