ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my computer has been all messed up recently. It's been running really slowly. The one thing I have noticed is that whenever I open the task manager to check my running processes IEXPLORE.EXE is ALWAYS runing, and sometimes has two or more instances open. I can't end them either. If I try to stop it, it just runs again!

I've run a virus scan and it came up clean (def's are up to date as of today) and I ran adaware which came up with some stuff (as it always does) but nothing malicious.

One thing I have noticed with internet explorer is that this "prosearching.com" thing keeps popping up. I found that set as my hoimepage one day, so i reset it and it now opens it's own window whenever i open explorer! I can't seem to get rid of it!

Any help with any of this stuff would be a big help!! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
make sure your adaware has been updated with the most current defenitions. You can also try, spybot search and destroy. it works just like adaware but sometimes one will catch stuff that the other won't, so I use them both.

install ZoneAlarm too, so you can keep track of what is trying to either communicate into your computer, or from your computer trying to send out to the internet. Atleast you'll know which programs are affecting you.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
If you're comfortable with registry editing, you can go into your registry and delete any references to "prosearching.com" to avoid it being inadvertently loaded.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PoorAssRacing said:
If you're comfortable with registry editing, you can go into your registry and delete any references to "prosearching.com" to avoid it being inadvertently loaded.
Yea, i did that right after i posted this thread... Came up with one reference... the damn window still pops up!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
you can also go into msconfig and disable the bajillions of startup proggies that are most likely in there.

use this site as you do so, so that you don't disable programs you actually want running. http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

just enter the name of the prog in that list and it will tell you exactly what it is in most cases. uncheck the undesirable entries.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
PPMotorsports said:
Run.... command
format /s c:

:)

-Jim
format c: /s <--there

BTW joke aside... this to me is the one way to do it.. hehehe but it erase everything in your computer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
MidKnight said:
Ok, so my computer has been all messed up recently. It's been running really slowly. The one thing I have noticed is that whenever I open the task manager to check my running processes IEXPLORE.EXE is ALWAYS runing, and sometimes has two or more instances open. I can't end them either. If I try to stop it, it just runs again!

I've run a virus scan and it came up clean (def's are up to date as of today) and I ran adaware which came up with some stuff (as it always does) but nothing malicious.

One thing I have noticed with internet explorer is that this "prosearching.com" thing keeps popping up. I found that set as my hoimepage one day, so i reset it and it now opens it's own window whenever i open explorer! I can't seem to get rid of it!

Any help with any of this stuff would be a big help!! Thanks!
Yep. "IExplore.exe" is the "Windows Shell". That's the program that handles your desktop; your task bar; etc. That's also the reason that Microsoft had a lawsuit thrown at it by Netscape, et al.

Download and use Litestep. It eliminates IExplore from running all the time; it's lighter weight; and it doesn't fark up your system!!

Also, depending on what you've installed, formatting and re-installing Windows is not really a far fetched idea. That's the only way to truely clean off the crap!

Viggy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts