Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.usacomp.com/th2.htm

http://www.usacomp.com/th3.htm

I was thinking about these for not only looks, but functionality later on. I've seen them run on D. Higgins' AVSport WRX in the SCCA prorally. I think they'd look great on the WR Blue WRX. My question: does anybody know anything about these? If I wanted to get them more for use than looks, should i stick with 16". Also, don't rally wheels have to conform to 7" width on most occasions? If thats the case wouldn't it make sense that the size to go with should be 16"x7"? And lastly, how much road performance would i be sacrificing if i got a pair of 16x7s? Not that im looking to actually race or rally (in the near future), but just looking for a unique look and a bit of country road driving functionality.

-c

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Conditions on a rally would dictate what size you would run. For the traditional gravel, dirt and bumps, the common size is 15x7. These are the wheels I'm most likely to run(first set coming to me this fall). None of the rally shops here(QC CANADA) have any real word on the new TH3s in terms of weight difference and brake clearance over the TH2s(but I'm getting word this coming week on the TH3 from CompUK). Either way, they are super tough, but they aren't light. Your stockers are actually lighter. I can confirm with you if you like, but i think the 15x7 TH2 are 16 odd close to 17lbs.

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i got the 15x7s wouldnt i be sacrificing some street performance? I figured that with the 16x7s (stocks are 16"), i'd be getting the same performance, while being at least safe with gravel and dirt. Im looking for the all around size here ( paved and unpaved(rallycross) ). Your input is appreciated.

-c

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well sacrificing street performance is debatable as tyre sidewall stiffness comes to play along with compound grip. What tyres do you plan to run with Compos? You can't really get gravel based tyres that are going to feel well on tarmac. I suggest you just find a suitable all purpose tyre to set on your stock 16x6.5. The stockers are quite light weight and reasonably tough.

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The TH2 seemed like a tougher wheel, and i'd probably get some sort of all-weather type of tire or something on them. Since I already know the performance of the stockers, i figured the TH2 would function the same, being a tad bit heavier but more durable. They would be great for rallycrossing and at the same time look good on my WRB WRX. Do you know alot of people that run 16" in rallies? Also these wheels would funciton later (much later on) should I decide to go all out ( which will probably never happen). Rallycrossing gives us wannabe fans a chance to experience some unpaved sport without the sacrifice of our vehicle entirely to Rallying. Also how much do the TH2's cost over there? Seems they are pretty expensive over here.

-c

·
Registered
17 Posts
the issue of how your car will perform, versus the rims that your car is wearing depends on what kind of performance you are looking for.

kinda obvious, but if you are looking for faster accelleration, smaller wheels are better than larger diameter ones (15" is better than 16"). if you are looking for handling, wider/bigger wheels are going to be better, because the tires will cover more ground.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Ah well...for the above post, you'd get larger sidewall tyres to get the same diameter as with any size wheel you choose. Smaller wheel does not mean smaller tyre in terms of overall diameter.
As for 16s in rally. It would really depend on the conditions. Less bumpy situations would see 16s, but the typical gravel rally calls for 15s. You could enter some exhibition rallies just to see how things go(since you don't need a rollcage for those). If you do get into rally, you're going to need more than one set of TH2s anyway. For rallycross, I wouldn't bother so much.
Compomotives sell for around $300CDN per wheel in Canada(with the MOs a little cheaper).

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
more than one set for rallying? If you assume dirt and gravel and snow, wouldn't a single wheel cover all the different types of tires, or are you saying 1 wheel set for each type of tire? I'd be going with 16x7s for looks and club rally / rally-x. But they are a tad bit expensive (make that alot)

-c

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well you'd want more than one set to decrease the number of mounts you do but you also have to consider that if you are really going to rally, you're going to need spares and wrecking a wheel is always a possibility.

·
Premium Member
17,861 Posts
Fengshui,
i tried pm'ing you but your mailbox is full !!!

i used to run the 15x7 th2's on my rex since they fit over the subaru 4 pot calipers :)

my only issue ever was tire sizing so as not to throw out the speedo ;)

most rally teams run 15x7 :) but imho if your mainly road/street driving i'd go with the 16x7 size just so you can run a lower profile street tire :)

another good strong rally wheel is the Speedline RL7
both types of wheels can be gotten from www.avsport.com

Andy...

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool, just the post i was looking for, yeah i think the 16x7s will rock and i really like their unique look. After the slight monetary problem i have to overcome :rolleyes: , i should be able to get these.

thanks weasel

-c

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you rally? how far from the jersey shore are you? and are you going to any of the rally-x club rally events in NY in september? i was thinking about working some, might be cool.
let me know, i cleaned out my inbox! :D

-c

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Andy what class did you rally in? Actually the RL7s used to be made by Raceline(before Speedline absorbed Raceline...just a fun tidbit of info for anyone who didn't already know).
Speedline has a bunch of nice rallyable wheels....I think they have something like 2118s or something. You can't go wrong with Speedline nor Compomotive.

·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andy, do you know if AVsport offers a good deal on the compomotives? I also found them at www.usacomp.com and they were 310$/wheel. The cool things besides the looks about these wheels are their durability, caliper clearance, and downright @ss-kicking rally feel, or so i am told. I think the 16x7s will be fine when i decide to get them, but what is a good all-round tire to get for em? I know i have to be careful in choosing tire sizes.

-c

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.