Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently run a PE1820 large version. I'm looking for something that I can lay down big numbers with. I know TXS has tuned their street version of GT30r to 34X whp. I'm in the waiting stages for their kit, but can't seem to leave my car alone in the mean time.

There are several manufacturers that carry Garrett hybrids that fit our cars. I don't remember their names but rather that numbers, something 50, AVO 450(or 500), something 500. I have a dyno session at the end of the month and can then compare 1820 to one of the garrett based turbos.

What I am trying to say is, would teh "avo 450" type be equivalent to the GT30r? Anyone get a TUNED version on the road on a EJ20 block?

I have anti lag utec software that takes care of any respool issues due to turbo size.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm VERY curious in this also. I have a VF22 which is only temporary as I look into bigger turbos. I also want to know exactly what you're talking about. :) I was looking into the AVO 450 or 500, but I don't know of anyone who has these turbos to get any feedback from. I believe XS engineering also has a bolt-on turbo that's a modified version of the Garrett GT3037.

Bump for more info. ;)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
This might not mean anything, but one of my customers is on his third AVO 450HP turbo. I'm thinking their reliablity is questionable at best.

-Jim

·
Registered
507 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
This might not mean anything, but one of my customers is on his third AVO 450HP turbo. I'm thinking their reliablity is questionable at best.

-Jim
Oh, that's good to know, Jim. Hmm, I wonder what the quality of the XS Engineering units are. Thanks for the FYI. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know of one owner who blew one because the oil feed line to the top of the turbo came off. It was sent with the AVO450 turbo.

I know the SR50 and AVO500 are identical garrett hybrids. I'm not really sure if teh quality of the sr40 is any different than a AVO400 (they may be teh exact same actually).

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm not sure about that one. From the pix of both of those turbos, the actuator is in different locations. However, I'm not sure if the internals are the same or similar..shrug.

·
1,911 Posts
The cores are all the same. All Garrett GT catridges BUT the quality of the install and assembly is what determines how well it will work and how reliable it is. I am going to skip that whole proces and should have my prototype GT25 kit operation in two weeks. Instead of trying to fit a catridge into a housing I'm using a Garrett housing and making a new uppipe and downpipe to fit that housing. Should work much beter for response and efficiency and still be bolt on at a very competitive price. As for my GT35 kit I need my STi to get that ready and sadly it just got to POrtland so I won't even have the car for 3-4 weeks. I will get to work on that ASAP though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I were still in Phoenix then having a similar setup fab'd would have been feasible. Unfortunately I am in the sticks in MD now. What would it take to replicate an up pipe and downpipe combo through you. I'm assuming you're using a 35 of 40mm external wastegate too. Drop me an email if you wouldn't mind [email protected], I was waiting for the txs GT30r kit, but I'm getting restless. All I need are 2 pipes and the rest of the parts are easy for me to obtain.

I have a 04 sti on order too :) I'm still deciding whether to buy it or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ross is perfection

Ross Wilsons (owner of Avo Turbo World) attention to detail and mechanical perfection is hard to rival. He does most of his R&D himself to ensure good products and feeback. The general suby tuners that have emerged from the birth of the wrxs debute in early 02 (US) to the present havnt a clue how well Avo is looked upon in Japan. Ross made the 450 many years ago and will in my experience fit on any gd, the 500s will not in some cases.
i will explian as best as possible, the variations of throttlebodies over the years in our US models of wrx and the newer sti wont facilitate the 500avo. I have only had trouble with one wrx (03) with a 500avo but i suspeced that car was shady if you know what i mean. stis 04 and up will not exept the 500avo i guarantee you the placement and style of the throttle body wireing harness rubs so bad on the compressor half you can not fully fit it in with out shearing of the wires. ( pictures can be provided) Early this year when i did the Usdm R&D for Ross we found the modification to be made would make it impossible to it in with stock intercooler, his avo intercooler wouldnt fit the US 2.5 liter sti because of the hard mounted coolaint lines coming from the block. (pictures can be provided) ill be more in depth about this if you have the interest. But my long time doing business with Ross has only shown me good products. My answering your question if avo is worth your hard earned money is yes i have produced amounts of good horsepower from his turbos.
(garret hybrids) his 550 to 600 hp twin scroll comes out on the 1st of jan 06 be sure to check it out. Dex Renick
let subyism spread:p

·
In Memoriam
1,593 Posts
East Coast WRX said:
I have anti lag utec software that takes care of any respool issues due to turbo size.
:confused: , what are you smoking....or is this some special ****?

pm MidKnight...he has a AVO450 IIRC....

also, I believe that the XS Engineering unit is a rebadged AVO unit....

·
Registered
4 Posts
comparison=google

on google pics under avo turbo 500 there is a pic of the vf-22 and a 450 and 500 sitting in a box to show size differance. hey you say you have a anti lag ecu? which are you using?...(company)
dexter-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hu?

u-tec has anti lag?...does it come with 2 step revlimiter.. or is it like a anti lag launch control do hicki.. because i have somehing similiar 4 when im on the track.. can you be more specific 4 us peoples out herr that r wondering what you mean.
dexter-

·
In Memoriam
1,593 Posts
RenickTuning said:
u-tec has anti lag?
no, I think the poster mis-typed....it does have launch control plus it also has a 2-step for flatfoot shifting but NO anti-lag....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Uh yeah maybe he had that functionality in 2003, he might not even have the car by now :screwy:

Old posts should be locked dont you think :)

tex

·
Registered
8 Posts
testes1010 said:
dates > me....:baaa: but I'm not the thread digger...

LOL yeah I know, it's just funny that people respond to very old threads without looking at the date stamp thinking it's current. Well I must comend the original poster for using the search function.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
RenickTuning said:
Ross Wilsons (owner of Avo Turbo World) attention to detail and mechanical perfection is hard to rival. He does most of his R&D himself to ensure good products and feeback. The general suby tuners that have emerged from the birth of the wrxs debute in early 02 (US) to the present havnt a clue how well Avo is looked upon in Japan. Ross made the 450 many years ago and will in my experience fit on any gd, the 500s will not in some cases.
i will explian as best as possible, the variations of throttlebodies over the years in our US models of wrx and the newer sti wont facilitate the 500avo. I have only had trouble with one wrx (03) with a 500avo but i suspeced that car was shady if you know what i mean. stis 04 and up will not exept the 500avo i guarantee you the placement and style of the throttle body wireing harness rubs so bad on the compressor half you can not fully fit it in with out shearing of the wires. ( pictures can be provided) Early this year when i did the Usdm R&D for Ross we found the modification to be made would make it impossible to it in with stock intercooler, his avo intercooler wouldnt fit the US 2.5 liter sti because of the hard mounted coolaint lines coming from the block. (pictures can be provided) ill be more in depth about this if you have the interest. But my long time doing business with Ross has only shown me good products. My answering your question if avo is worth your hard earned money is yes i have produced amounts of good horsepower from his turbos.
(garret hybrids) his 550 to 600 hp twin scroll comes out on the 1st of jan 06 be sure to check it out. Dex Renick
let subyism spread:p
Unless something has changed on the avo turbos, the 450 and 500 both use the same compressor and turbine housings. So why would one fit and the other not fit? I've held both in my hands and they both seemed identical in external dimensions, but with different wheels...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts