Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked about Colorado muffler laws and I am happy to share it with you. It's public knowledge after all. As far as enforcement, it's up to the Officer. It's called Officer discretion and lets us Officers decide wheather or not to issue a citation (warning or citation). Same with any violation. Just remember, some violations are worse than others and are enforced more regularly for public safety.

I'll start out with how the law is written, and then interprete the gobble-d-**** in english.

The Law Says (Gobble-d-****) :

42-4-225. Mufflers - prevention of noise.

Statute text
(1) Every motor vehicle subject to registration and operated on a highway shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-off, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of this section.

(1.5) Any commercial vehicle, as defined in section 42-4-235 (1) (a), subject to registration and operated on a highway, that is equipped with an engine compression brake device is required to have a muffler.

(2) A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chamber or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and effective in reducing noise.

(3) Any person who violates subsection (1) of this section commits a class B traffic infraction. Any person who violates subsection (1.5) of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of five hundred dollars. Fifty percent of any fine for a violation of subsection (1.5) of this section occurring within the corporate limits of a city or town, or within the unincorporated area of a county, shall be transmitted to the treasurer or chief financial officer of said city, town, or county, and the remaining fifty percent shall be transmitted to the state treasurer and credited to the highway users tax fund.

(4) This section shall not apply to electric motor vehicles.

History
Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2260, § 1, effective January 1, 1995. L. 97: (4) added, p. 393, § 2, effective August 6. L. 2000: (1.5) added and (3) amended, p. 1100, § 1, effective August 2.

This section was formerly numbered as 42-4-222 and the former section 42-4-225 was relocated to section 42-4-228. C.J.S. See 60 C.J.S., Motor Vehicles, § 46.

English Version:

For a passenger vehicle, such as the Scooby, you must have a muffler installed at all times when you are operating it on a public highway, street, etc. If you are on a race track etc., no muffler is required.

The muffler can not be equipped with any type of cut-off, bypass, or similar device. This is pretty straight forward - no cut offs for muffler.

Installing a new muffler can not increase the noise level of the original equipment - period.

A class B traffic infracton is punishable by a fine of a minimum of $15 to a maximum of $100. However, local ordinances could over ride this penalty and have their own fines. Fortunately they are usually the same.

Think that about covers it. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help. :)

Tonight I will address the catalytic converter question. I have to install my Helix oil catch can now :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
ThankS good to know, but how does the cop know that the new muffer is louder then stock if they are close?
MCL

·
Registered
949 Posts
don't they have to measure the decibals in order to make the ticket legit?

Man, someone needs to start an organization for people that mod their cars. It's violating our freedoms to impose tickets on us for modifying something that is ours.

·
2,210 Posts
Most stock mufflers are whisper quiet, so I would guess that most LEOs can accurately assert whether yours is louder than stock. I may be wrong, but I would imagine that it would have to be obnoxiously loud for you to get pulled for that alone. It seems like the sort of infraction that would usually only get you cited if you were pulled for a more serious offense.

I have a full 4-2-1 race system on my bike. It sounds like a formula-1 car at full tilt. Hence, when I'm in residential areas I tend to stay off the gas and not behave in a way that is going to attract unwanted attention. Seems like common-sense; something that tends to be lacking in the ricey honda fart-pipe crowd. If I get pulled for having a loud pipe, I'll politely pay my fine without complaint. I'm not going to change the pipe, however.

-Pace

·
Registered
949 Posts
pace said:
Seems like common-sense; something that tends to be lacking in the ricey honda fart-pipe crowd.
which is probably why we have those laws in the first place

If I get pulled for having a loud pipe, I'll politely pay my fine without complaint. I'm not going to change the pipe, however.
exactly. However, I'm sure authorities know this, so they'll keep issuing the tickets.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This seems like it would waste an LEOs time. My guess is that is why so few of us have recieved citations for "loud" exhaust.

(I got one in 2000 from the Cherry Hills PD).:)

·
Banned
2,810 Posts
These are the sorts of laws that exist because soccer moms vote and, on the whole, we do not. Just a thought.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great post Law Dawg!!

When you get around to it I would be interested in hearing about the legaility of the clear front headlight mods. (Taking the orange reflectors out.)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
pace said:
I have a full 4-2-1 race system on my bike. It sounds like a formula-1 car at full tilt. Hence, when I'm in residential areas I tend to stay off the gas and not behave in a way that is going to attract unwanted attention. Seems like common-sense; something that tends to be lacking in the ricey honda fart-pipe crowd. If I get pulled for having a loud pipe, I'll politely pay my fine without complaint. I'm not going to change the pipe, however.

-Pace
Best solution to exhaust law "problems".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, Now for Cats

Law Dawg, I didn't take time to respond to your original post yet.

Welcome to the board.

When you get some time can you please review the law in regard to catalytic convectors. I’ve herd several opinions about changing the cats prior to five years. As you know, the REX has 3 cats and most us have or want to take the 2 pre-cats out. I am still at the point of stock exhaust with and Scooby-sport cat-back (it sounds beautiful). I’m leaving the up/down pipes alone until after this season of solo-cross. I want to stay in DS class this year.

Maybe we'll get to meet at the ice tomorrow. Hope you can make it.

Thanks and welcome again, Denver

·
Registered
444 Posts
Law Dawg said:
Installing a new muffler can not increase the noise level of the original equipment - period.

A class B traffic infracton is punishable by a fine of a minimum of $15 to a maximum of $100. However, local ordinances could over ride this penalty and have their own fines. Fortunately they are usually the same.
I think any aftermarket performance exhaust will be louder than stock.

Does a class B traffic intraction show up on the DMV record and/or result in any points? Otherwise, it's just a fine only, like photo radar - not that bad.

·
Registered
309 Posts
So what if you have a silencer in the muffler? What will happen then?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back. This whole V-day weekend thing has had me busy :mad:

Well, pace and WTypeRogerX are right.

Stock mufflers are like a Caddy (silent fart sound). Besides, even cops know the difference even if it isn't that loud.

No points are assesed to your license, just have to pay $$$.

As far as getting pulled over, well, like I said it's Officer descretion. I have never heard of anyone in my dept pulling someone over for this unless something was dragging (broken muffler). However, that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen...

Uber Wagon - I'll find out about the head light covers and let you know. If they are clear, I really don't see a problem. It's when the covers are tinted. I'll find out for sure and let you know.

XspudX - Are you asking if the after market muffler is still quite (silencer)?

Dawg

·
Registered
309 Posts
Like my friend has an Apexi N1 system on his Integra, but he uses the silencer for road use(only comes out when hes at the track).

So is he still at fault(so to speak) at getting fined?

Basically, Im asking are modified exhaust with silencers still illegal?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
XspudX - It depends on the sound level. Remember the law says, "Installing a new muffler can not increase the noise level of the original equipment (english version)".

So if it is as quite or quiter I can't see a problem. If it's louder then there is a risk.

Again, if it's not really loud and obnoxious I really don't think you have to worry about it that much. But TECHNICALLY it is against the law (louder than stock).

Does this clear it up :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts