Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question for any of you have had to pass Colorado emissions recently. I am still a way away from having to do this, but I am curious: When you go to pass emissions in Colorado, do the emissions guys actually plug into the OBD2 port and read codes or do they just verify the existence of the lights?

This makes a big difference in the type of engine management you select for your car, so whoever has done this recently (within say 18 months) please reply.

Thanks in advance

JaMa

·
Registered
295 Posts
In the Denver area, they will plug into the OBD2 port. In Colorado Springs, they just look for a light. Springs ROCKS! :D

Don't you still have like 3 more years till you have to get that done?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
March of 2001

My WRX was delivered in March 2001, so does that mean March of 2005 or March of 2004 when I have to have an emissions test to get my plates?

JaMa

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
we get 4 years now? i thought it was 2....

·
Registered
295 Posts
On a brand new car, you are exempt for 4 years. After the title has been transferred once, or the 4 years is up, then your must have it tested every other year in order to regsiter the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
wow

Wow, they are really generous huh.

Hell, Im taking my catalyst out. At least then I can tune by smell....

:D

JaMa

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: wow

JaMa said:
Wow, they are really generous huh.

Hell, Im taking my catalyst out. At least then I can tune by smell....

:D

JaMa
heh.

Nick C.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Supposedly they are testing vans which drive around and remote sense cars. If you drive by the van and it snaps your license plate and gets a pass reading, you will automatically get certified and not have to go into a testing center. How cool is that? :cool: And I hate them driving my car on the rollers. One of the times they drove my old CRX, it looked like it was lurching this way and that on the roller as they tried to drive it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone know how the permenent remote testing done on the south Speer turnoff fron I25 relates to the new Van testing? I only get a 'Fair' rating off of that sucker.

·
Registered
369 Posts
As far as I have heard, that is just to give them ideas of how many cars are failing and how many are actually being reported. It is also an indication for you of how your car does. Just remember that it is not totally acurate though.

I don't recall them actually plugging into the OBD2 port, just looking for lights. Maybe different stations do things differently! I went to the one off of County Line rd and Quebec.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I took my truck in this Aug. or so, and I don't think they plugged into the port. I don't want to have to do my next test with the WRX, I may just have to tow it to every trackday I would to do.
MCL

·
Registered
28 Posts
that sniffer on speer is flaky. it all depends on how hard you are on the throttle. i have had it say poor and great in the same day!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Anybody know how long OBD2 ports have been around? I never heard of it until the WRX.

·
Registered
253 Posts
WTypeRogerX said:
Anybody know how long OBD2 ports have been around? I never heard of it until the WRX.
the obd2 code puller i bought says it works on all cars 1996 and newer, so i would guess '96

cnstman

·
Registered
171 Posts
FastRS said:
that sniffer on speer is flaky. it all depends on how hard you are on the throttle. i have had it say poor and great in the same day!
That is how it should work, your emission are based upon "how hard you are on the throttle"
MCL

·
Registered
10 Posts
obd2-i believe late late 95-present

my car(92gsx)-old! no obd2. im not sure what im gonna do about emissions, buy a 3" cat i guess?

·
Registered
444 Posts
WickedRydaX said:
That is how it should work, your emission are based upon "how hard you are on the throttle"
I can just see it now - all the WRXers driving by that sign flooring it and rally drifting the offramp just to see if they can get a FAIL reading! :D Just got to make sure your ass end doesn't swing out so badly that you take out the sign! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 97 Expedition has an OBD2, but it was actually mandated on US and US imported cars by the EPA for the 1996 model year.

Funny that the Speer sniffer is on a deceleration ramp, while the new vans mandate an acceleration ramp. Never hit poor or good. It's pretty consistant for me at 6am if I drive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts