ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm wondering if this is a problem...when i first start my wrx when it is cold outside (30's F) i get a very different engine sound, kind of a ticking sound which eventually goes away while driveing...5-10 minutes and doesn't happen if the engine is somewhat warm on restart...any thoughts, thanks bluedream

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I start my WRX in the cold, I get all kinds of funky noises. Sometimes she sounds like a deisel truck, other times it's more like a sick 5.0 litre Mustang. I might even describe it as a train on occasion.

I wouldn't worry.

RGE:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I get the same thing as well. It seems to be common. And if something is really wrong, I'm sure there would be a recall.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When it drops below -40, my car talks to me.

It says "You mistreat me, Michael. You should store me in a heated underground parking lot, Michael.", in the voice of K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider.

;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I often get a loud knocking noise when car is first started after being left (particularly outside) still happens if car is garaged. Will be hitting the dealer with a recording but have found many owners with this problem that turns out to bea faulty/loose cambelt tensioner. Hopefully no real harm until I get sorted.

Michael
MY01 WRX

·
Registered
238 Posts
Loud howling noise at 10 below??? maybe plat knows something more on this :D :p hahaha

---In a fun crazy mood right now, RaCinWRX ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
They ironed out the piston slap problem following the 1998/1999 WRX's here. The noise is most probably a faulty/loose cambelt tensioner. This is a common problem from reading www.i-club.com.

The noises are not consistently apparent as if it was slap it would happen all the time. I have recorded the knocking this morning into a WAV file and will take a CD into the dealer when I next go in.

Subaru of America are actually stating to customers with this problem that there is infact a design fault with the tensioner but as yet no fix (other than replacing) is scheduled.

Michael

·
Registered
29 Posts
startup noises

After reading all the posts regarding the "unnatural" noise that I was hearing with my 2002 WRX upon cold startups, I felt empowered to have my dealer service my car. I came armed with a recording of the engine sound and that I suspected it was a falulty cambelt tensioner. I had swallowed their explanation about the noises being a engine design peculuarity during my oil change a few weeks earlier. I was unconvinced.

Thanks to those who posted with similar problems, my dealer, New Country, in Saratoga, NY, was very accommodating and replaced my tensioner. Success and what a relief!:D

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
rge_wrx said:
When it drops below -40, my car talks to me.

It says "You mistreat me, Michael. You should store me in a heated underground parking lot, Michael.", in the voice of K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider.

;)
Hmmm...LSD???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts