Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Toledo, Ohio, and when ever it has been a cold night the following morning my car sounds like a piece of s&*t! I mean it sounds like it's running on two or three clys. After about five minutes of driving it seems to just go away. Would this happen if I got the optional engine block heater, or is this crap normal?
I'm sure none of you lucky ass Cali- dudes have the slightest idea of what I'm talking about you lucky sons-of b*&ches, but for all of my fellow unlucky sons-of-b&^ches what do you think?:cool: :eek: :confused: :mad:

·
Registered
134 Posts
well im in GA it does not as cold here as it does there but it gets pretty cold here....and on cold starts my car just idles kinda high compared to the normal 500rpm idle and it also is noisy. as in I can hear the natorious Suby ticking....but after i drive for like 2 min it is back to the norm again

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep thats exactly what mine does. The dealer said that the car is picky with gas. I am switching to shell from Sunoco I think its watered down.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used shell for a while then I switched to 76 gas dont know if you have them there but it sucks! then i tryed cheveron and it's not to bad,,,I cant notice a diff between shell and cheveron so it's whatever is closer when im in need of gas,.. any one try the exxon supreme with the scoobs yet??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Quicktrip's gas worx great, and is the best priced.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I use nothing but 93 octane in my car from Exxon/Mobil or Texaco. I refuse to put "non-brand-name" fuel in my car. When it is cold (<40degF) the car idles high, but smooth. It is quite possible that you got a bad tank of gas and have to work it out of the fuel system. However, if this problem persists, I would say it is caused by a faulty ignition component. Let us know if the condition improves or worsens.

-Jim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gas is gas is gas, comes from the same 3 oil producers. QT's gas is guaranteed and works fine plus I bet they buy it from Texaco, Exxon or Mobil. I used to run that amoco crap and you can feel the car doesn't have the same power. But hey, it's just pennies we're arguing about right? :p

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
gas is gas

after the three major oil producers, different companies do different things. some add detergents, some don't, some have different inventory practices which allows it so sit for a different amount of time.

but for the most part, if you are picking 93 octane, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

i like the ultra 94, although i think i go through the tank faster. i could also be going crazy.

dR

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: gas is gas

dark_rex said:
after the three major oil producers, different companies do different things. some add detergents, some don't, some have different inventory practices which allows it so sit for a different amount of time.

dR
Well, we consume more oil/gas than is pulled out of the ground so it never sit's for too long. As far as detergents in the car, I agree...I've also heard that Chevron has the best detergents in the gas.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
"Well, we consume more oil/gas than is pulled out of the ground so it never sit's for too long"

how is THAT possible? are we getting oil from somewhere else too?

:confused:

petrol inventory management and production is the only reason why our prices are so volatile. opec is renowned for manageing supply to alter pricing becasue demand is the only constant. it is not uncommon for petrol reserves to be stocked up heavily for months during price decreases to decrease supply, and therefore spike scarcity.

my point is, it doesn't spoil. the differences are so negligable, that no quality is lost, especially before refining.

dR

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The Enemy said:
Gas is gas is gas, comes from the same 3 oil producers. QT's gas is guaranteed and works fine plus I bet they buy it from Texaco, Exxon or Mobil. I used to run that amoco crap and you can feel the car doesn't have the same power.:p
Actually, the cheaper versions of gas do come from the same producers, but they buy the "ends" so-to-speak. When the gas is pumped through the pipes, the companies separate the grades with water. The "plug" of water will obviously mix ever so slightly with the gas on either side. The cheaper companies buy the gas at these interfaces to save money and pass along these savings to the consumer (you). For most cars it's probably not a big deal, but for the WRX I wouldn't take a chance.

Rod

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, considering the gas resellers still guarantee gasoline regardless of who it is I don't see it as being a big deal. Beside's once it's paid off I'll just buy a new WRX and enjoy the fun all over again if I don't upgrade to a BMW. And the engine is designed to tolerate alot more than a small percentage of water in the gas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in vermont and have been having this problem every single time it gets cold. When I start it in the morning, it idle's at about 1200rpm and is extremely rough and loud! After about 5 min of idling, it goes away all of the sudden. I'm not having a good experience with my WRX. I've taken it to the dealer and have been having problems (noise coming from short throw shifter when decelerating, upgraded speaker rattling, can't put the damn thing into first gear when going more than 5mph) I've scheduled an appointment with the District manager and if he doesn't help me out its time for SOA to get a nasty letter.

If anyone has had these problems please email me and tell me if you have gotten them fixed. Thanks

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
the first gear thing happens in higher performance cars. it happens in my friends 330, and my other friends A4. at 5mph, why not just give a little gas and use second anyway? try giving it a little gas too before putting it back into first. otherwise this sounds completely normal, i wouldn't worry about it.

the speaker? that stinks. but it's under warranty still right? it's mostly a function of the "upgraded" option being a little better than a speaker made from warm crap. there's no way the subaru amp blew one of those, so you must have gotten a defective one.

all madern cars idle higher at the start. its a design to heat up the catalytic converters to minimize pollution. if you watch closely, your rpms will slowly fall to around 600 or so. it is a little louder when this happens too.

what type of short throw does subaru use? i didn't like the look of it at the parts counter today. looks shoddy. anyone got one/any experiences with the OEM short throw?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dark_rex,

I have blown out both "Upgraded" speakers in the front at different times. I just took it back to the dealership and told them it rattles like it blown. They order a new speaker in about a week, and just come by, they throw it in, and I am outta there.

With the idle problem, we don't get that cold here. Mine does idle pretty high in the morning when its warming up. Its funny, with stock exhaust, in my downstairs bathroom it sounds like the rumble of a big V8 warming up. Noisy only because of both cooling fans coming on in "hi" speed.

The other two problems i emiminated by buying an automatic.

Good luck on your quest,
Justin

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
igalwrx,

That is exactly what I'm talking about as far as the idling problem. It really sounds like crap. It's like some body threw a marble into one of the cylinders overnight.
It does however go away in five-ten minutes depending on how cold it is outside. I wonder how this affects the cars long term reliablilty. It can't be good.:mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts