ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it bad to have a cold air intake w/o a tune? (this is the only mod I have, everything else is stock)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Meh, it might mess with your MAF readings a tiny bit, which can be tuned out. I believe the dyno-tested Injen cold airs are known to do this less. More people get short rams - however, don't opt for a short ram instead of a cold air just because people tell you to worry about hydrolock from driving through puddles. The general tuner consensus is that this is a negligible concern, because CAIs are designed to be able to be briefly submerged, even halfway up the filter, without sucking in water.

Just don't expect substantial gains from the intake.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one on right now and heard that it can cause damage so I was just concerned. I will be getting the stg 2 cobb package as well as a protune within 2-3 months though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
you should be ok then

which cai do u have ?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yeah, you'll be fine. The CAI won't really hurt.
And wow, Cobb stage 2 package? $$$$$$$$$$!! You might wanna consider a cheaper downpipe and catback :)

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Is it bad to have a cold air intake w/o a tune? (this is the only mod I have, everything else is stock)
Bad in what respect? Bad in terms of damaging your car? The only damage you're going to do without a tune is possibly damaging your MAF due to the oil on the filter.

Just don't expect substantial gains from the intake.
+1, if your reason for going with the intake is power then get rid of it and go back to stock. It's not going to give you any more power. If you want it for sound, then just stick with the exhaust when you go stage 2 and sell the intake.

I have one on right now and heard that it can cause damage so I was just concerned. I will be getting the stg 2 cobb package as well as a protune within 2-3 months though.
See my last comment.

And wow, Cobb stage 2 package? $$$$$$$$$$!! You might wanna consider a cheaper downpipe and catback :)
Cobb is expensive, but it's also the best. Great fitment and nice power gains. You can get decent fitment and nice power gains from other exhausts for stage 2, but Cobb also has what I'd say is the BEST exhaust note out there too. I highly suggest you go to youtube and listen to these search results for "sti cobb":
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sti+cobb&search=Search

There's comparisons to other exhausts so you can hear to difference too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
you should be ok then

which cai do u have ?
the one seen here

koogxone said:
And wow, Cobb stage 2 package? $$$$$$$$$$!! You might wanna consider a cheaper downpipe and catback
What else would be good? I wouldn't mind spending less money but I like the sound of that cobb exhaust and I would like to have a sound similar to that.

teflon_jones said:
+1, if your reason for going with the intake is power then get rid of it and go back to stock. It's not going to give you any more power. If you want it for sound, then just stick with the exhaust when you go stage 2 and sell the intake.
I'm assuming that the intake amplifies the stock 'bov' sound? Once I get the exhaust and get rid of the intake it will do the same thing or what?

^ yea man thats exactly why I want to get it. I'm going to resell it once I get into a military academy and I hear the resale value is pretty good, so what the hell.

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
What else would be good? I wouldn't mind spending less money but I like the sound of that cobb exhaust and I would like to have a sound similar to that.
The closest I've heard is the B&B, but not a lot of people use B&B on Subarus. They're well regarded in the Porsche community and for other cars though. They just don't have the greatest welds. But the B&B is probably as much as the Cobb. I'd suggest you keep your eyes open here, on eBay, and Craiglist for a used Cobb exhaust. I got a catted TBE one for only $600.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well if you want a deep, throaty sound, an Invidia or an HKS catback might be for you. HKS only if you don't mind having a conspicuous exhaust. Or you can just get the Cobb catback and a cheaper downpipe - I'm very partial to Invidia downpipes. I have never heard anything negative about them and they are very affordable. I would think that with the Invidia downpipe and the Cobb catback, you would have a sound very similar to the full Cobb TBE at a little lower cost. Good luck :thumbup:

P.S. B&B = Billy Boat? Those are really rare and expensive; I don't know if you'll want to spend the money for one of them.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
P.S. B&B = Billy Boat? Those are really rare and expensive; I don't know if you'll want to spend the money for one of them.
They're actually the same price as Cobb and sound really good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts