Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

Thinking of putting my first performance mod under my belt soon. I have read / heard a cold air intake would be a solid first mod for my '17 6MT Prem. I did some research on my own and saw some people love it while others steer clear. If you have went this route, could i get some advice on brands / pricing / quality. I am open to all ideas / discussions, there is so much i want to do with the car I just don't know where to start.

· Registered
100 Posts
A lot of owners choose this as their first mod. I think it might be because of the cool turbo sound you gain as well as the power boost, however, that comes mostly from the tune that is required when you do an intake. My first mod was a cat back exhaust simply because it doesn't require a tune. I would love to purchase an intake (specifically the COBB big SF intake or MAperformance) but I am on the fence simply because I am weary of having it tuned.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of owners choose this as their first mod. I think it might be because of the cool turbo sound you gain as well as the power boost, however, that comes mostly from the tune that is required when you do an intake. My first mod was a cat back exhaust simply because it doesn't require a tune. I would love to purchase an intake (specifically the COBB big SF intake or MAperformance) but I am on the fence simply because I am weary of having it tuned.
Yeah i am also weary of getting it tuned, also don't know if any CAI are available for the '17WRXs either. Need to read more about them and tunes. Thanks for the reply.

· Registered
25 Posts
I am in the market for a 2017 WRX, so have been browsing these forums here and at NASIOC just learning as much as I can before I buy.

As for intakes, anything for the 2015+ WRX will fit the 2017 WRX. (Non STI)

Several of the intake manufacturers say you do not need a tune with their intake, but the only one I have seen that has data to back up that claim is ETS. They have provided the MAF reading from stock and with their intake, and the number are close enough that you should not need a Tune with just their intake.

Their numbers also show that there is little to no power gains with just an intake, and that it's really all for the sound.

· Registered
3,060 Posts
Yeah it looks like I will end up waiting for the 17 access port stage 1 package, plus don't want to void any warranties. Appreciate all replies fellas
That will compromise your warranty, but not void it... Welcome bud.

· Registered
34 Posts
Getting a tune is fishy with the 15' + WRX/STi's considering the ECU now has a Flash Log.
So once you change your MAP on the car, you can kiss the Warranty goodbye if its Motor Related.
I'd say go with a Cat-Back Exhaust, Coilovers, Tint.. Pretty much anything that doesn't
include having to go OTS Tune or Pro-Tuned. Once you feel like getting ballsy with your warranty,
go all out.

· Registered
20 Posts
Yeah i am also weary of getting it tuned, also don't know if any CAI are available for the '17WRXs either. Need to read more about them and tunes. Thanks for the reply.
Personally I picked up the Mishimoto CAI w/Box & Polished tube from a fellow member here, and I feel like I need to have it tuned to really make it work properly. It doesn't throw a CEL or anything, but the boost will either stutter or fall flat sometimes. It's seemingly random but I guess there are certain conditions that cause it to happen. Overall I'm about 50/50 with my satisfaction on it...I really like hearing the BPV and the turbo spool but I'm not a fan of the intermittent power loss...
When it doesn't fall short the power gain is pretty noticeable though even without a tune so I can only imagine that it'll be a HIGHLY noticeable bump in power if I get it tuned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.