Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get a Cold Air Intake (AEM) and a Pulley Kit (AEM) and a short throw shifter, how much of an upgrade in performance would I notice? For instance, half a second, or less, or more?? Would my Horsepower increase? These items are pretty resonable in price and i can afford them right now.

Scott

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
the CAI in all liklihood may DECREASE hp. many tests have pointed to no true gain in power from a cold air intake.

if the pulley's are underdriven, then you should expect some decent hp/$'s there.

the SS will obviouslt net you no extra power, but will definitely add to the fun factor of driving. i love mine.

dR

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I guess what I am looking for is the best possible upgrade to increase the power or gain more speed for under $500. I actualy most interseted in gaining acceleration off the line right now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Under $500

Samco intercooler hoses- 160
go fast bits under drive pulley kit w/ belts- 225
K&N panel filter w/ recharger- 45
grounding mod (DIY)- 25
= noticable change in performance (by butt dyno)

option B (mechanical experience required)
catless upipe- 250 to 350

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
your best bet for a mod to increase acceleration off the line, and also stay under $500 is simple.

uppipe: ~$200 (install another $200 unless you do it yourself). decreases turbo lag by about 1K rpms, adds hp. boost earlier is better. :D there's tons of info on this all over the board on how to install yourself, and how to prevent leaks.

manual boost controller: $60 even if you set the BC at the stock level of 14.5 psi in third gear, you will now achieve full boost in first and second gear. the factory BC limits you to ~9psi. you'll fly through first and second gear in a hearbeat. increasing boost beyond that will yield more power throughout the power band. some say ~10hp & torque per pound of boost added. stay at or below 16.5 if you want the car to last.

K&N panel filter.: $50 more airflow to compliment faster spool up and higher boost. 5hp increase on the box, but with the previous mods, should help to make even a little more.

so you blew budget there by about $10. :)

dR

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
dark_rex said:
your best bet for a mod to increase acceleration off the line, and also stay under $500 is simple.

uppipe: ~$200 (install another $200 unless you do it yourself). decreases turbo lag by about 1K rpms, adds hp. boost earlier is better. :D there's tons of info on this all over the board on how to install yourself, and how to prevent leaks.
I have not found a place by me that installs an uppipe for around 200 dollars. Currys Auto in virginia said they would charge about 500 for the install and even God said he charges 500 for him to install it at his shop. I wish I had more mechanical experience but I think I may end up paying the 500 to have it installed, plus it will be a good piece of mind knowing it will have no leaks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree with Kanos i want to get an uppipe but after all the trouble some people have had. 7 hour installs and it still leaks. Thats a headache i don't really want. The only installers i talked to were saying about 4-500 to install, for 700+ total i think their are several other better bang for the buck mods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts