Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new in car modification/parts world so i dont know anything about which coilover would fit my interest best. I have a 2017 subaru wrx and Im not planning on taking them to tracks, i just want to lower it a little bit. Im looking for an affordable coilover but a decent one which would last me couple years. I have a friend selling me a megan racing coilover for 600 he said he only used it for 3 months but i dont know if thats a good one. I live in orange county california if that matters, i believe road conditions are a factor in getting coilovers? Please help and take it easy on harsh comments i know its a n00b question. Lol

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
Since you won't be tracking the vehicle, unless you want coilovers for bragging rights (to impress those who don't know better), that's not the path you should pursue. If you care about ride quality / handling, you should be looking at lowering springs; RCE Black or Yellow and Swift Spec-R are great options.

Megan Racing is garbage

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
There isn't a lot in the coilovers range sub 2k bucks you want. Even the really good quality stuff needs constant care and adjustment. It's common to have the height adjustment collars slip and need readjusted.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since you won't be tracking the vehicle, unless you want coilovers for bragging rights (to impress those who don't know better), that's not the path you should pursue. If you care about ride quality / handling, you should be looking at lowering springs; RCE Black or Yellow and Swift Spec-R are great options.

Megan Racing is garbage
What are the downside of getting lowering springs?

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
SherlockeHomies said:
1) You can't brag to your friends that you got "coilovers"
2) The additional spring rates will likely increase the wear on your OE struts, and will cause the struts to be replaced more frequently than if you stuck with factory springs
3) You may not have the adjustability in terms of damping, but most people don't know what they're doing and will screw it up more than they "fix" it.

Neither of these are a big issue, if you go with the springs I recommended. When your OE struts go, then look into replacing them with upgraded units, but you should be able to get a bunch of miles on the OE struts with the recommended springs before they need replacement.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SherlockeHomies said:
1) You can't brag to your friends that you got "coilovers"
2) The additional spring rates will likely increase the wear on your OE struts, and will cause the struts to be replaced more frequently than if you stuck with factory springs

Neither of these are a big issue, if you go with the springs I recommended. When your OE struts go, then look into replacing them with upgraded units, but you should be able to get a bunch of miles on the OE struts with the recommended springs before they need replacement.
Thanks for all the info bro. Never thought of bragging anything though. Its just all of my friends are saying get a coilover than springs and me being a rookie in all of this set my mind into getting a coilover but i?ll definitely consider getting a spring now. Thank you

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
Coilovers are a complete waste for someone who doesn't need the flexibility.

From what I've heard here from zax and others elsewhere the newer struts are more robust than what was previously on the vehicles and should give you a good life even with the higher spring rate.

Don't forget to take your car to a good shop and have an alignment done. If you have a performance shop in the area it will be a good place usually. They will have experience as to what will give you the best results for the street. You'll wind up with a better performing, longer lasting, better feeling suspension than those with cheap coils.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coilovers are a complete waste for someone who doesn't need the flexibility.

From what I've heard here from zax and others elsewhere the newer struts are more robust than what was previously on the vehicles and should give you a good life even with the higher spring rate.
If i ever want to get back into stock suspension would i be able to do it from the lowering springs?

Don't forget to take your car to a good shop and have an alignment done. If you have a performance shop in the area it will be a good place usually. They will have experience as to what will give you the best results for the street. You'll wind up with a better performing, longer lasting, better feeling suspension than those with cheap coils.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.