ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my shocks are about to give out on me after 15k on Progress Springs and I need to upgrade to something soon. I was wondering if anybody has and experience with coilovers in the winter? Im in MN where the snow and salt tear cars apart and would think the salt/sand would rust the crap out of coilovers. Im looking at the Progress Coilovers but dont want to spend over a grand on something thats going to rust up and not be functional anymore. My other option is to just get the KYB AGX's but I really want coilovers. Anybody??

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Just wash your car regulary.. once every 2 days or something like that..

Don' t really know, don't have coilovers my self. I want some, but I'm also thinking about a shock and spring setup...

·
1,999 Posts
there are some coilovers with alu threaded bodies...and when not, grease parts well to prevent rust formation(along with cleaning and re-greasing often as possible)

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Coilovers can be problematic in the winter- especially if your state uses salt or other corrosive chemicals (MT uses a terrible spray on chemical- it even "eats" aluminum:mad: ). There is a marine anti corrosive spray- Corrision Pro that is very good-

http://www.iboats.com/products/7/22251_lubrimatic_reg_corrosion_pro_spray.html

I think Jay's suggestion of using a oem strut/spring setup in the winter makes good sense. Ofcourse a good performance spring/strut combo could also be had and run year round.

Mike

·
Registered
226 Posts
rusted coiloverss

i had my coilovers fro only a couple months, didnt take them off thru the winter and they look like **** now. these were on my 02 wrx and had the dealer take them off when i tradeed it in for my sti. im debating if i should clean them up and use them on my sti, what u guys think??? ill try to post some pics of how they look
gabe

·
Registered
71 Posts
from what i gather, it's the salt that freezes up the adjusters on coil-overs. i don't have any personal experience to speak of (mostly because of this hearsay:p ) but since i bought this car pretty much to make the winter a little enjoyable, i for one will go with a spring/strut combo

·
Registered
465 Posts
Re: rusted coiloverss

bigdaddy said:
i had my coilovers fro only a couple months, didnt take them off thru the winter and they look like **** now. these were on my 02 wrx and had the dealer take them off when i tradeed it in for my sti. im debating if i should clean them up and use them on my sti, what u guys think??? ill try to post some pics of how they look
gabe
What coil overs did you have, I to live in chicago and was trying to decide coil overs or spring and strut combo.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys. I think im going to go with the Tein SS or the Tein Basic dampners and just use my stock suspension for the winter.

As for the avatar, I was told to change it:( It did have a good run though.:cool:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Coilovers in the winter???

Chunks said:
On another note I am surprised that your struts are about to die at 15k, I thought the progress springs were pretty conservative?
The drop for the 04's is a 1.8 drop, my stock struts and getting real bouncy.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts