Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions of the best coilover front/rear components for an '04 STi (and remote adjustment unit if applicable). Prefer constant rate springs.

And Stainless steal brake lines.

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Flex's are just the entry level teins, I dont see them having much advantage over the stockers besides height and camber adjustability. I would go with Tein RA's with some custom spring rates.

·
Banned
968 Posts
Tein is ****.

:Flames begin now:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone care to provide some details?

I'm very capable of filtering out any information for myself.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Just to clarify I wasnt saying teins were the best I was just saying if I were getting teins I would go for the RA's and not even consider the flex's. If I decide to move to ESP I will get some of the top of the line JIC's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
good man... :)

V8VENOM said:
Anyone care to provide some details?

I'm very capable of filtering out any information for myself.

Rob.
comments like the previous individual(s) were kinda off topic.

KYB shocks, AGX series with eibach springs. This is a fine combo for less than $800. little adjustability but fine for looks and some functionality. Only recommend if you DO NOT autoX regularly.

Koni's W/ Ground Control Springs: stiffer ride. perfect for the once a year/month AutoX. rougher street ride though $800. total.

K&W- good ride, little more track responsive. $899-1199, fender gap lower than H&R, but build quality not as nice.

H&R - better than separate shocks and springs, but not hard core track material. lovely ride though. $1000. I have ridden these, comfy, does a lovely lower job. car looks good.fender gap also nice.

SAME shocks WRX- Tein springs, comfy, not realy diff from STi springs i hear. on RSX tein springs were better than stock.$290

SAME shocks WRX- H&R springs. more rigid.good road ride.$250

SAME shocks WRX/RSX- Prokit from Eibach- good ride. watch our for shock wearout. $250.

Tein Flex kit is fine fore street drivers and occasional autoX ers. A friend of mine had them on a wrx, and a RSX Type S. i thought they were fine for $1500 shipped. LOWER then this class, TEIN coilovers RUST. they do not have teflon coating under FLEX.

JIC Magic - only felt them on an RSX Type S. autoX S*l*u*t*s they were. for $1600, hard to beat. No, they are NOT the best.Also rode in a car with these.good solid ride.assembly is heavier than Tein, but better quality.

APEXi, N1 pro damper kit. Used on RSX and Mazda RX7 TT. These things, when corner balanced, and set up for aggresive driving made you think the car was on a slot track with no hinges. top quality. Price $2000 for full JDM REAL kit.Rode these, two words -STOP PLAYIN-

Buddy Club- RSX Type S,350Z, rode like magic with sprinkles.good for street, better for track. $2200.

Moton™ (pronounced MOE-TON) Damper kit- one of the best. used in JGTC. 24hour HARD driving endurance.computer controlled. minimal pressure loss. only setback- $8000 price tag. Other than that, they rule.
good luck. just an idea. if i have ridden them, it should say so. if not, its heresay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What about HAs vs RAs? The Tein website doesn't give much info about either one of these. HAs good enough for serious autox competition or are the stock STi shocks as good?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The best things about the ha's compared to the stock setup would be it comes with camber plates and you can put in stiffer springs. In my opinion its not worth the upgrade in coilovers unless you go for somthing at the RA's level or higher.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm, what about STi pinks? I'm thinking the stock struts are pretty good and to reduce body roll, get front and rear sways with STi pinks.

Stock the car handles pretty good. I just think that quick transitions and aggressive driving upsets the car too much.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Sti pinks are nice but they are not going to be cheap. Retail they are like $2200 and the RA's or FLa-2s would probably still be better due to camber plates, lowering the car and any spring rates you want. But if you want a set it and forget it solution sti pinks are good since it wont be hard getting an alignment, and they arent rebuildable. But if your going to get a strut spring combo its probalby just best to wait for inserts to be developed for the stock struts (700 for inserts) By then pleanty of springs will be out and you could have adjustable struts for 1k.

Of course if you just get RA's, JIC's or STI pinks you can sell the stockers for like $700 and only pay about $1000 for the upgrade anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
afpdl said:
Sti pinks are nice but they are not going to be cheap. Retail they are like $2200 and the RA's or FLa-2s would probably still be better due to camber plates, lowering the car and any spring rates you want.

:confused:

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the STi "pinks" for the WRX/STi retail on Rallispec.com for $368 per set? Are we talking about the same thing?

-STiLL

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
STi makes a set of adjustable front and rear struts with springs. I Just thought he was talking about those.

·
Registered
232 Posts
afpdl said:
Flex's are just the entry level teins, I dont see them having much advantage over the stockers besides height and camber adjustability. I would go with Tein RA's with some custom spring rates.
wow..when did the flex become entry level? they have the SS and basic as well. how about adjustable dampening as another advantage...man, the things ppl post...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I forgot about the HAs ss's arent out for the wrx according to godspeeds site at least. Flexs are just a bit above the HA's, they have some different dampening, pillow ball mounts, and some anti rust coating. and their selling point is the edfc.. And in my next post I commented on the adjustability of coilovers is an advantage over stock. I still say its not worth it to spend money on flexs, I dont think the possible slight advantage is worth it over stock.

And adjustable dampening maybe an advantage or a disadvantage it depends on what the owner knows about suspension set up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Tein SS coilovers replaced the HA kit for Tein USA's line up...the HA's are basically a discontinued coilover kit. The spring rates are exactly the same for both the SS and the HA kits; the only difference is in the valving for the SS's, which were tuned to be more compliant with the roads here in the U.S. Both the SS and FLEX are EDFC compatable.

As stated before, the FLEX's are at about the entry level in terms of balancing comfort and upgraded handling. The lower you go down the Tein coilover series, the more comfort-based you get while the higher you go up the series of Teins, the more performance handling you get. The FLEX's bridge the gap between the SS and the RA's nicely. I personally wouldn't consider buying anything less than the RA coilover kit from Tein, but that's just me.

-STiLL

·
Registered
242 Posts
OK guys - let me shed some light here at the request of a member.

The HA's are not available any more - they were replaced by the SS in Tein's lineup as noted above. When they were offered, they had spring rates of 7 kg front.6kg back for both the WRX and GC cars. They were single height adjustable, had a smallish piston diameter, but were a decent overall unit for the money (if you could get over having to replace the lockrings, which were prone to breaking. For the GC cars they did not include pillowball mounts, for the WRX they did.

The SS replaced the HA, and they are a bit milder overall. Piston diameter remained unchanged. I am told valving was changed too for the GC cars, but I have never noticed a difference. I also ahve not had a problem with the S rings cracking yet, but they are still a bit too new to know..another winter should tell us. For a WRX, the SS comes with pillowballs mounts, and has 5 kg springs front and rear. They also accept the EDFC controller

The Flex is next up in the Tein lineup, and is basically their highest level street focused setup. In addition to having pillowball mounts front and rear (camber adjustable up front fixed in the back), they are dual height adjustable. This means you can lower the car either via the lower spring perch (ala the SS and HA) or the better way is via the lower mounting bracket where the coilover attaches to the car. Doing your main adjustments here allows for minimal preload on the spring, which maximizes suspension travel. How important this feature is depends on what you use the car for, and how low you intend to drop the car.

From there, the lineup starts again with the R series (RA, RE, etc). RA are entry level track units - though as Dan can attest to they are AWESOME on a street car when paired with the right spring rates (they are a bit too stiff for my tastes for the street when installed with the default spring rates).

There is no "best" when it comes to coilovers, there is merely different. Tein and Tanabe are the 2 largest aftermarket suspension company in Japan, and are easily the most popular. Both have a wide range of offerings for tons of different cars, and both companies doe extensive R&D on real world cars before bringing a product to market. JIC is not widely used in Japan as a whole, though they are out there are carried by a variety of different shops/tuners. They are definately more popular here in the US though. They are very well made, have some nice features in the FLTA2 series , and a good overall value.

There are tons of companies out there that make excellent units - some you have heard of, some you have not.

The first thing you need to define is what you use the car for. Your car comes equipped with some nice suspension tricks from the factory (such as inverted shocks), and you don't necessarily want to get rid of that if your intention is actual handling improvement. If on the other hand your goal is better looks, there are plenty of less expensive units that will get the job done just fine and still be very comfortable for you to use everyday.

Once you define your use, give yourself a realistic budget. While it sounds cool to have Moton in your mod list, I suspect a $4500 coilover is not what you need nor would ever use.

Lastly, be realistic about your needs. The EDFC is nice gadget and works pretty well - but will you use it? I know personally, I tend to find a setting I like that I can use for the street (which is where I do 90% of my driving), and stick with it. We have a dedicated racecar here, so I don't take my street cars on the track too often - usually when I do it takes me the better part of a day to get the tire pressures right, due to seasonal changes, track conditions, humidity, etc that having a fully adjustable suspension would be largely useless for me. Also don't be fooled by the marketing hype put out by any one company (they all do it to an extent). You might see some coilovers are 15 way adjustable, some are 30 way, some are 5 way. Don't be fooled into thinking the 16 way is automatically better than a 5 way...its not. With a Tein Flex for example, there is very little difference between full soft and full stiff due to the construction of the shock.

Lots of the vendors here like Dan and others are very knowledgeable about suspension setups on these cars, so don't hesitate to ask one of us for recommendations - at this point I think we've just about tried them all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts