ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I am looking for. I need to get a set of coilovers. These will be used on my daily driver, but they need to be really good on the track. I am not one who cares about ride comfort in the city either. I like the HKS Hipermax 2...but they are only 7kg / 5kg

Now is 7kg / 5kg a little too soft for track use? I was thinking I should have at least 8kg / 6kg.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Right now all I have is Eibach springs and a Cusco rear swaybar.

Will the rear swaybar and the coilovers be a strong setup for the track...or is there anything else I need? I don't care for a front swaybar because I don't want the turn in to be neutral...I like going in hard with more of an oversteer setup with good turn-in...so I think the rear swaybar alone is best.

What about the Cusco underbraces and strut bars? How well will these work in conjunction with my coilovers.

A little info about my car. It's basically a Stg. 4 setup, using an APS SR40 turbo. I'm making 328whp (if that matters for my suspension setup)

I appreciate any help guys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Depending on budget, I'd suggest three choices:

Low budget: JIC FLTA2-RS with 10 kg front and 9 kg rear springs and matching shocks

Moderate budget: KW Suspension double-adjustable race system with similar springs

High budget: KW Suspension triple-adjustable race system with similar springs

If you are putting that much power, you may even need higher spring rates; also the shock valving and spring setup depends on the tires as well, which r-compounds?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like there's not much support out for these coilovers. I don't want high budget. If that was the case I'd be looking at Ohlins :tongue:

I want something in between. I like the Cusco Zero2R...but the spring rate is 7kg / 5kg as well. Is there a reason why Cusco went this route as well. Maybe this spring rate is just better for the WRX compared to 8kg / 6kg?

Anyways, I chose HKS Hipermax II over Cusco because Cusco's will require a longer wait time, and I am already waiting long enough for my Cusco Rollcage and my Bride seat rails. HKS is in SoCal and I can have them pretty quickly.

I want to stay away from Tein and JIC mainly because everyone runs Tein, I heard they were now made in Korea, and I just don't like Tein. I also heard that the JIC coilovers aren't manufactured very well and that the quality isn't very good.

Perhaps these are just rumours, anyways, anyone else? I searched NASIOC and most of the coilover threads didn't go too in depth.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong w/ the high end Tein or JIC stuff, most have had very good luck w/ it.

Also most (if not all) of the higher end stuff from Cusco/Tein/JIC etc have more than one set of springs to choose from.

7kg/5kg - unless you've run it w/ your car or somone who has a similarly setup one- I wouldn't dismiss out of hand. Those are pretty firm rates, particularly if your using this as a daily driver.

Check w/ the above companies and see about alternative spring rates- most will have them. Make sure the damping in the struts will be sufficient as well.

Big Sky

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to find someone with them in my area or with similar spring rates that will take me for a ride. I did notice that the Dampers on the HKS are 30-Way Adjustable, where as some of the others are 16.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
The number of adjustments can be decieving. It's the actual range of damping which is more important- unfortunately it's rare for a suspension manufacturer to actually publish damping rates/ranges.

I've found a number of race teams actually prefer lower # of adjustments- some only use four- just for ease of setup.

You really hit w/ trying to get a ride w/ someone- it's the very best way to get a good idea what setup to get. Fortunately you live in a area where there might be some good opportunities to do that.

Big Sky

·
Registered
173 Posts
XtianLA said:
Here's what I am looking for. I need to get a set of coilovers. These will be used on my daily driver, but they need to be really good on the track. I am not one who cares about ride comfort in the city either. I like the HKS Hipermax 2...but they are only 7kg / 5kg

Now is 7kg / 5kg a little too soft for track use? I was thinking I should have at least 8kg / 6kg.
Yes, 7 and 5 kg/mm is definitely too soft for track use. I would go for as hard as 10 and 8.

XtianLA said:
Will the rear swaybar and the coilovers be a strong setup for the track...or is there anything else I need? I don't care for a front swaybar because I don't want the turn in to be neutral...I like going in hard with more of an oversteer setup with good turn-in...so I think the rear swaybar alone is best.
Yes and no: the bigger rear sway bar alone gives the oversteer tendency you describe, but what matters is the relation of front and rear. If you get a bigger front sway bar but do not set it as hard as the rear one, you'll keep the current oversteer tendency, but reduce roll further.

XtianLA said:
What about the Cusco underbraces and strut bars? How well will these work in conjunction with my coilovers.
I would recommend using the chassis reinforcement bars you mention. The more rigid the shell, the better the cars reactions can be felt and the more strain can be put on the whole shell, ie harder springs, better tires, less body flex.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts