Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! This is my first post! Have owned my 2016 WRX Limited for about a year now, and recently started adding to it. Ive been looking around at different coilover systems, and not only are there a bunch of different ones, but many different price ranges as well. I don't mind spending a lot, but just curious what the differences are, and is a $2,000 system that much better than the ones around $1000. What systems do you all have? I don't want to lose handling at all, if anything I would like better handling, and for the ride height to be adjustable. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Are you tracking the car? If not frankly I would leave it stock and spend the money elsewhere. The oem suspension is a pretty damn good compromise on the 15+ MY WRXs. If you're dead set on coilovers, long story short, you do get what you pay for so don't go cheap you will regret it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not tracking, just want to lower it and not be hella bouncy. People have told me lowering springs make your ride bouncy

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm not tracking, just want to lower it and not be hella bouncy. People have told me lowering springs make your ride bouncy
They will indeed make it bouncy, as will coilovers IME.

Not all lowering springs are created equal, there are less bouncy options available, ask around for suggestions, but lowering the car is definitely a trade off in terms of ride quality. RCE is a good place to start but others here are more knowledgeable than myself as living in the NYC metro area with our bombed out roads has dampened my enthusiasm for lowered daily drivers substantially. If you go too much lower than stock you end up losing handling capability too. Keep in mind that more aggressive spring rates will shorten the lifespan of your struts as well so you might want to get some Koni yellows or something similar to keep up with the new springs if you go that route.

Personally I would shoot for the lower look by getting a lip kit and maybe changing out the wheels but to each their own. Perhaps you live in the south with those nice glass smooth roads, so maybe it makes more sense to lower the car in your situation.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
Keep in mind that with every ride height adjustment, you're looking at paying for an alignment, too ($100/each).

The difference between the $1000 cheap coilovers that you don't want and the $2500+ versions that you could want would be the quality of the materials, suspension travel / droop, valving, etc. To put it mildly, the inexpensive coilovers (e.g., BC) are NOT an upgrade, and will cause your car to handle worse than before.

If you want to lower the car a bit, go with a proven quality spring (e.g., RCE Black/Yellow, Swift Spec-R, etc.) and put the money saved towards some other things (e.g., mounts/bushings, ALK, rear swaybar / endlinks, etc.).

·
Pro Manscaper
14,901 Posts
Quality springs with proper spring rates won't make it bouncy. Especially coupled with a quality set of dampers/struts. Your ride may be more firm, especially since you remove some of the suspension travel, but it won't be anything like "cut springs on a Civic hatchback" bouncy.

From someone who had coilovers on an 05 STi...if I were to go back and do it again, I'd choose a set of springs/struts instead. I liked being low, they handled great, but it was also much more harsh and firm. It got old. Once you put the coils on...adjustability will go out the window. You won't want to get in there and change ride height all the time because doing so is a pain in the arse. And like Matty said, you'll need an alignment each time you change height.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts