ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone making a coilover kit worthy of road racing for the STI?

Please, no TEIN garbage -- I've seen too many of those in action and failure miserably. I want a real suspension kit, not some "adapt to fit" kit.

Rob.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Try taking a look at the Prodrive Active Shock Technology coilovers (they should be coming out soon), Cusco coilovers, Subaru of America makes STi coilovers, there's a lot more out there than just Tein, just search around.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Venom,
We have had the same problem at stifiles. We are getting ready to build out a custom Koni setup. We may build our own, or we may get something built out w/ tru-choice.

While Ohlins has a nice reputation, the setup they have now is the street setup not the track setup. The only shocks I would consider right now outside of the Konis and MAYBE the ohlins are the DMS.

http://www.scoobytuner.com/products/?sfID1=8&sfID2=57&productID=98

The DMS 50 setup is what Gary Sheehan or SMR was using on his wrx and reported good results. I was turned off by the cost of potential rebuilds.

Once the pro-drive setup comes out, it may be worth looking at but I don't want to be a beta tester for them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know Koni do custom to order valving and I make just end up going with their D/A race setup as they worked reasonably well on my old race car.

I've always liked Ohlins -- but don't have enough real world data from folks to make a good decision.

DMS appears to have some fit issues with the STI so I'm not 100% sure I want to go that route -- also I'm not a big fan of "eccentric bolts" to get camber. Does DMS have a caster/camber plate setup also?

I don't want to Beta testing anything, I need proven results.

Thanks for the info.

Rob.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with you about the ohlins which was the same problem I had with them.

I hadn't heard about the fitment problems on the STi with the DMS, good to know. They do have nice top hats that are fully adjustable. http://www.dmshocks.com/docs/dmstops.html They are quite like the PDE mounts which I was also looking at.

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=355&Product_Code=PDE-009&Category_Code=800

On an aside, Where are you planning on running for OTC 05 , touring or unlimited? I plan on running again but, I just don't have the years of experience to seriously be competitive with the guys that were running. Most of the guys that were there had either competed at a pro / semi-pro level or had a co-driver who had. I am obviously taking a lot more time to get the car setup this year, and plan on a lot more track days and at least one race school before 05.

Please keep me informed as to what you have tried and what works or doesn't I'll do the same, either via PM or email works or you can probably just check out my site, thought that isn't always completely up to date.

I am looking for any sort of suspension setup information from people like you (e.g. faster than me at the track). Things like caster / camber / corner weights, tire pressures etc.

Thanks for any info. I'll be sure to share any I have.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stott,

Yes I plan to run '05 OTC in Touring. I've thought about Unlimited but that would require too much money to be competitive and I'm not really sure the value of that class other than "I spent more $$$ than you". Touring provides much more of a challenge and tends towards grassroots racing (which is what I enjoy) of true street class cars.

I'd be happy to share notes/information -- e-mail me at [email protected]

I may have a few sponsors lined up so will have to see how that pans out. I'm gonna start getting more serious (aka spending money) probably around Oct. The hard part is logistics and how I can get everything to fit into the Scooby -- scales, jacks, etc. etc.

But it sounds like you've got a good plan, track time and school time will be your biggest improvement. That will also help you understand what the car is and isn't doing so you can adjust accordingly and/or throw money in the right area to cure the problem.

I will start with (in priority order):

1. Weight reduction (goal is to drop 200-250 lbs out of the car) & distribution
2. Race worthy coilovers
3. A little more HP without cracking open the motor
4. hit the rotating mass (brake rotors, drive shafts, fly wheel, clutch)

I really do NOT want to dig into the motor as my reliability factor will decline considerably if I do. Also, there really is not much sense in having huge HP numbers on 140 treadwear street tires. The single most important factor is item #1 in my list and I will spend as much time as possible in that area. Less weight has so many benefits in every aspect of performance and especially in reliability.

Rob.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Ohlins has a track setup, but it is still mucho dollars. There road version looks like a nice setup for someone wanting a comfortable daily driver and a occasional track forray- not what your looking for.

The STi set looks pretty well built, reasonable spring rates ~ 350/330- still daily driveable, but you may want more at the track.

Zeal and Cusco's high end coilovers, have a wide range of spring rates- rebuilding them though I don't know what kind of support there is.

I haven't heard of any fitment problems w/ the 50's- some of the rebuilding (certain selas/greasing) can be done by the customer. The DMS US guy is gone I believe, but the North American outfit (Canada) is still going strong. They have a tarmac specific application w/ choices of springs. They also have a 60mm version, but have never heard of anyone running these- maybe no one can afford them;)

Big Sky

·
Registered
51 Posts
V8Venom,

You might want to consider KW Suspension, two race versions: double- and triple-adjustables, much more cost effective than Ohlin's or Moton's. Of course Moton's have the clear advantage, no doubt, but the simplest Moton shocks will run you $4000+ without springs or coilovers. Strut and shock housing has to be built custom with Motons, but that is not that expesive actually.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've posted a query out on the KW -- $2150 for the 3 way system. The design appears to be good -- just never heard of them before -- but it is the quality of the internals I'm most interested in.

I've seen mega-way adjustable shocks before, which have turned out to be complete crap (HAL for example).

·
Registered
51 Posts
V8VENOM said:
I've posted a query out on the KW -- $2150 for the 3 way system. The design appears to be good -- just never heard of them before -- but it is the quality of the internals I'm most interested in.

I've seen mega-way adjustable shocks before, which have turned out to be complete crap (HAL for example).
KW is a very big name in Europe especially with the Porsche, Audi, and BMW groups. They were utilized, for example, on the Prodrive Ferrari during Le Mans before Prodrive decided to switch cars.

They are a very strong brand that we wished would eventually come to the Subaru world in the US, and finally when it did, we just jumped on them and started carrying it recently.

The 3-way adjustable model that you have seen is not however suitable for track. You should be looking into the custom race versions. That 3-way adjustable unit is the top of the line for street, it uses progressive springs in the rear; and you just cannot setup a car with those for track usage.

·
Registered
888 Posts
KW has also been big with the Subaru crowd in Europe for quite a while. When I first started looking at their offerings over a year and a half ago they didn't even have any US distributors. If I was looking for dual purpose street/track coilovers the Variant 3s would be at or near the top of my list. And I'd also look very strongly at their custom stuff for a dedicated track setup at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
The JUN Super Lemon GDB is the fastest Subaru on Tsukuba Circuit with a recorded time of 56.595 seconds. For reference HKS set the track record in their Carbon Fiber EVO with a time of 54.739 seconds.

For coilovers, JUN used ZEAL SUPER FUNCTION SPL's. (I believe they are called SUPER FUNCTION-R's here, ask them to make sure) Spring rates are 13k/ 16K Front/ Rear. If you are determined to go full race, this may be a good option. www.endlessusa.com - contact them if you need more info. They are very helpful over there.

Anyways, I'm not sure if you actually need such an extensive set-up as I do not know you. If you haven't tested out some other less extensive coilovers on the market, I would suggest that you do so, as that may suite your needs and save you a few thousand in the process.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm... the only thing I don't like about their Super Function R is that they appear to use a threaded sleeve rather than the threads being machine on the strut/shock shell.

http://www.endlessusa.com/products/product.php?id=317&cid=21&pg=1

The Super Function V6 (with SWIFT springs) might be a good option for me and provides and inverted design (which I like) with threaded machine shell. But no independant adjust or damp/rebound.

But $4-$5K is about the price range I was thinking.

The car does NEED to be street driven -- I drive it to work at least once a week -- but I'm pretty used to a harsh ride with current 450# springs. I track it 4-5 times a year and will enter it in OTC for '05 (Touring class).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts