ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi So i recently installed Rokkor coilovers on my car, due to i needing new struts from accident. Instead of paying 300 for front 2, i bought coilovers for 500 for all 4. Anyways i took my 02wrx to Big O to get aligned because my rear camber looked terrible. So they aligned my front to -1 and my rears they said they couldnt fix? They are at -3.5 on my left and -5 on right. Please advise me in my dillemma any info would help. I tried to search here for answers but no luck. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Its probably because you bought super cheap coilovers and they don't have the proper adjustability. Could be a matter of finding a better alignment shop but you could be SOL. Yet another reason we all say to avoid cheap coils and use a strut/spring combo.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Garrett nailed it.

You'd be better off getting rid of the coils for something much better. Did you buy them used?

Yeah, look them up. They look cheap as all hell.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
If I were you I would do the difficult, yet right thing. Pull them off, try to return them if they have any sort of policy, if not just sell them for the 300 you need for proper struts and get the car where it should be

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Yeah maybe some camber bolts would help? Not sure...we don't know WHY the shop can't align them as they didn't give a reason (assuming this since you didn't give us a reason they gave you).

You could try camber bolts or something like that, but in the end, you still have cheap coils running on your car that relies heavily on a properly set up suspension to ride properly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the lame manager there told me that they tried to adjust them and that it was the farthest positive they could go.

Next question is do i go with OEM struts with lowering springs? or tokico&m2 lowering springs? I am trying to go for low cost but also quality factors in as well.

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Well the problem with suspension is...low cost and quality don't usually go hand in hand.

OEM struts will just eventually wear out and blow with lower springs...What are M2 lowering springs?

A good combo that is used frequently is Koni inserts with RCE Yellow or Black springs (good spring rates).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quality definitely comes at a high cost, but I was thinking for a 700 price what is the best quality I could get?

M2 is Megan Racing.

So is there any new combo, reason I bought new coilovers is because I bent my front strut(driver) so I was looking for the strut combo. Either that or go OEM. Only thing is I would like to upgrade as I am down there anyway.

Thoughts?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I agree with you on the upgrades. My rear STI struts are blown as well and I'm going to replace everything and probably put on some new springs as well when I have the money for it. I'm probably going to go with replacement aftermarket struts (or get the stockers rebuilt...there's a company that rebuilds and valves them to work with RCE springs for only $500) and RCE Blacks or yellows.

Unfortunately Megan Racing is junk too...a lot of horror stories are around with them as well. If you're looking for a good set of coils, the least you're probably going to spend is around $1000...BCs are around there (a lot say they are also junky, but I know a bunch of people running them without a problem, and they ride well)...K-Sports...Tein Flex...etc.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
How long did you wait before taking it to the alignment shop? Usually you gotta wait a little while for it to settle. I'd take it back and have them realign. If it doesn't stay after that...take them off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah well i have been refrained from using my car so much that i might just replace with some slightly used ones. Does anyone know if i could fit 04sti struts and springs on my wrx without any problem?

I took my car to get aligned only after driving about 30-40miles. My stance was so messed up that i had to go get it aligned at that point. It almost seemed to get worse as i drove, mind i say i drove like a grandma the whole time(which i only ever do when my gas light turns on). I miss driving my car its been 3 weeks. I think im going through withdrawal!!! haha!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
The classifieds over on Nasioc are probably a better bet...much more Subaru Specific obvious...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts