Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
there is no best coilover. it all depends on what application u are running them on, and what feels comfortable to you.

the best thing would be to sit in someones car and feel the way it is.

joe

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
now that we are starting to get a good collection of coilovers available for the rex, let's list what's out there.

i've heard bilstein and tokiko are now out, and i found out last weekend Tanabe has a set for the '02 wrx.

anybody confirmed any other brands? any word on what the verdict is? is cusco still pretty much it?

dR

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Of course, DMS are out there (on the rally car). I've read somewhere that Ohlins ($$$$) are available (I think). I've also seem some Leda's (at Rally Performance).

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Zeal, Intrax, Hot Bits, HKS, Ground Control......

Now lets list out the struts available for the WRX- notta.

If only I was a large shock/strut manufacturer (or small one for that matter) and produced a quality adj strut (say 4 or 8 settings) and sold it for a reasonable price- say $100-125 a corner add a matched quality spring set (reasonable spring rates 200 front/180 rear w/ slight lowering ~ 1") for say $200-300. For $600-800 you'd have a very decent setup that would be a vast improvement over stock, decent autox/track performance and would be fine in the gravel.

A guy can dream can't he.

Big Sky

·
Registered
211 Posts
I tried to do as much research as possible.... searched i-club, here there everywhere...

Finally, I placed my order for the Cusco Zero 2's ..... the spring rates are kind of stiff, but enough people said that in their opinions, they were still comfortable for street driving.....

I plan on doing a lot of road racing (track) and some auto-x, and of course, it's also my daily driver....

I'll post my opinions of the setup when I get them installed......

and, if their to stiff... I'll have them up for sale!

:D

·
1,911 Posts
If they are too stiff, just let me know. I can order you a softer spring for it. Big Sky, just remember, you get exactly what you pay for. I always prefer a complete suspension where the springs are designed with the shock. That way you get a matched setup. Also, make SURE the srut is a short stroke design. This is crucial with a strut suspension design like the WRX.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Dan,

You definitely get what you pay for, I most agree. But a matched spring/ adj. strut setup at a decent price isn't asking for too much IMHO. STi offers one for the GD (4 setting struts, springs) but the "going" rate is over $1800- that's a no brainer.

The RS "boys" have VERY succesfully ran the Eibach Pro/KYB AGX setup for autox. Eibach Pro's were avaible as a group buy just a week ago for $205 shipped, AGX's can be had for $389 for four, that's under $600 for a reliable, proven setup. Ofcourse you don't get adjustable ride heighth, but at ~ 1.5" lower, it is in the ball park of most reccomended coilover heighths. You do still get adjustable dampening adjustments, albeit single adjustable, but so are most coilovers.

There is no doubt there is a very real market/niche for high end coilovers, however I would be willing to speculate that their is larger market/niche for a suspension setup as I have described. It would fit the needs of someone who wants to autox , hit the track occasionally, hit the gravel when he wants, do some "spirited street" driving and use as their daily driver. The other thing it would do is not hit your wallet so heavily.

Like I said a guy can dream can't he;) . Or wait a couple of years- NOT.

Big Sky

·
Registered
42 Posts
God...

...there's a guy here who is raving about the Cusco Zero-1 coilovers. He's a shop owner and says that they are THE BEST coilovers he's ever riden on. Any word on those for mostly street driving and once a month autoxing? I've heard that they are non-adjustable struts and that's fine with me...

·
1,911 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
Dan,

You definitely get what you pay for, I most agree. But a matched spring/ adj. strut setup at a decent price isn't asking for too much IMHO. STi offers one for the GD (4 setting struts, springs) but the "going" rate is over $1800- that's a no brainer.

The RS "boys" have VERY succesfully ran the Eibach Pro/KYB AGX setup for autox. Eibach Pro's were avaible as a group buy just a week ago for $205 shipped, AGX's can be had for $389 for four, that's under $600 for a reliable, proven setup. Ofcourse you don't get adjustable ride heighth, but at ~ 1.5" lower, it is in the ball park of most reccomended coilover heighths. You do still get adjustable dampening adjustments, albeit single adjustable, but so are most coilovers.

There is no doubt there is a very real market/niche for high end coilovers, however I would be willing to speculate that their is larger market/niche for a suspension setup as I have described. It would fit the needs of someone who wants to autox , hit the track occasionally, hit the gravel when he wants, do some "spirited street" driving and use as their daily driver. The other thing it would do is not hit your wallet so heavily.
Big Sky
Actually Big Sky I think although the KYB spring combo may be great compared to the stock setup, they are junk compared to the nicer full coil-over Japanese systems in every which way apart from cost. The KYB's are not short stroke design, not height adjustable, do not offer the handling or quality of the japanese units and do not offer pillwo ball mounts. With pillow ball mounts you're looking at $1100-$1200 for the KYB setup. Tein will be releasing their new SS kit for $1350 retail very soon. I see little value in the KYB setup.

·
1,911 Posts
Re: God...

NOSS said:
...there's a guy here who is raving about the Cusco Zero-1 coilovers. He's a shop owner and says that they are THE BEST coilovers he's ever riden on. Any word on those for mostly street driving and once a month autoxing? I've heard that they are non-adjustable struts and that's fine with me...
The Cusco is not bad. Very nice quality but also quite heavy and not as adjustable as the Tein. The Zero1's and 2's are the same except the 2's are 6 way shock dampener adjustable.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Dan,

When you refer to short stroke are you refering to an inverted strut design? If so, I agree that is a better design. I'm not advocating KYB by any means, just the fact that a quality adj strut/spring isn't available for the rex.

Tell us more about the SS.

Big Sky

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the DMS Golds (40mm). I have had them installed for several months and have done a couple of auto-x's on them.

They are incredible. I have no experience on other coilovers, but I can tell you how much better this setup is over stock.

·
1,911 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
Dan,

When you refer to short stroke are you refering to an inverted strut design? If so, I agree that is a better design. I'm not advocating KYB by any means, just the fact that a quality adj strut/spring isn't available for the rex.

Tell us more about the SS.

Big Sky
No, short stroke is when you shorten the case length to better match the shorter spring. You then increase the diameter of the piston shaft to actually increase capacity. Inverted is exactly that, you turn the strut upside down which allows more strut travel and is also stronger.
The SS kit is going to be the same shock as the HA model and same pillow ball mounts. Only difference is that they use a single progressive spring instead of the dual springs of the HA. They were designed specifically and exclusively for the US market so I expect ride quality to go up a bit from the HA from the use of softer and progressive springs. I have no ETA on the WRX version yet but the 2.5RS ones are readily available.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
bob,

Do you have the GC8 adapters on the rear? STi top mounts? Are you running the 180/180 setup?

Have you had any problems w/ them at all?

I'm looking hard at the golds as they closest meet my needs in a coilover- daily driver, autox, w/ some gravel thrown in for good measure;) .

thanks,

Big Sky

·
Registered
5 Posts
FLT-A2 made by JIC-Magic. Very nice! Full aircarft aluminum construction. 15-way damping. Inverted strut body in rear. Pillow-ball mounts with camber plates included. visit jic-magic.com for more info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
God,

I remember you told me you ordered a set of Tein RA long time ago. What's the problem, how come it isn't here yet? If you want, I can help you get a set because I know there is a shop locally have them in stock.

Here is my set of Tein RA:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.