ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site and am actually buying a 12 gray wrx 4dr tmrw or the day after. I'm looking into coilovers for my first mod. I was wondering what kind of suggestions you guys had. I want something that would bring me back to original ride height or even higher for winter (Buffalo NY snow!). Suggestions would be great.

Also, with lowering the car and buying 18in rims, which I plan on doing, would there be any issues. Im new at this and don't have much gear knowledge so help a brother out.:confused:

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
You're aware you'd need two alignments/year for that plan, right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i figured i probably would, i know the guys real well at my firestone and they have free alignments for life for like $150....might do that

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Do What WRX said:
yea i figured i probably would, i know the guys real well at my firestone and they have free alignments for life for like $150....might do that
Many of those shops won't touch aftermarket suspensions. They also often won't do custom specs, which is important since the OE specs suck (from a performance standpoint).

Side note: check the CNY link in my signature and sign up...

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
That's a hell of a first mod, not exactly what most would suggest, but it all depends on your needs/wants... Exactly how bad is the snow around there?

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Many of those shops won't touch aftermarket suspensions. They also often won't do custom specs, which is important since the OE specs suck (from a performance standpoint).
+1. I had a heck of a time getting a shop that would do a custom alignment for my car. Finally found one, but still always looking around for a better one.

If you just leave your ride height the same between seasons, you'd be good to go with only one alignment.

I'm not sure about the ones that offer an adjustable perch. You may be able to get away without an alignment (for example, RCE's GTWORKs cup kit - they are springs/struts, but same idea)

i work for enterprise and pick up cars like 4 times a day from this firestone, so they better lol
They may not have the proper machinery to do it to be honest. I'm not sure what would be required. Can't hurt to ask though by any means. A good alignment and a set of good performance tires is an awesome starting point in my opinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just an update, i talked with the guys from firestone. they said they would do the lifetime alignment for 150 and as long as there is something to adjust they can do it. he assured me there would be no problem even with after market parts

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
What's your budget for the coilovers? You need to have at least $2000 budgeted to get a decent set. And what led you to to that as your first mod? It's a really strange one.

There's absolutely no reason you need to have a high ride height for the snow there btw. You can get by with a lot less than the stock ride height just fine in the winter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im not sure where your getting the at least $2000 mark from there are many kits for less that are just fine. Im doing the coilovers because i obviously want to lower the car and i want to be able to adjust the height accordingly. ive been told that throwing on lowering springs on the stock suspension is a bad way to go for handling and life of the suspension

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Do What WRX said:
im not sure where your getting the at least $2000 mark from there are many kits for less that are just fine. Im doing the coilovers because i obviously want to lower the car and i want to be able to adjust the height accordingly. ive been told that throwing on lowering springs on the stock suspension is a bad way to go for handling and life of the suspension
What most people would consider "good" coilovers are all in the ~$2K range...

For example:
TiC SST GH/GE Coilovers - 5x100 application

In regards to the ~$1K coilovers:
Cheap coilovers and droop - NASIOC

Below $1000, don't bother.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Do What WRX said:
im not looking for a complete road/dirt course car, just to lower the car and upgrade the suspension a little
I'm aware. The DD handling and ride comfort will be better with a set of struts/springs than ~$1K coilovers.

Koni Yellows + RCE Black springs will run you ~$1K. You'd be happier with that, unless you care more about appearance than handling.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have the D2 coilovers on my 11 wrx. They ride very great in my opinion. I have had no problems with them and offer all the adjustability I need. My car is DD but I do not drive it in the winter. I'd suggest just switching back to stock for winter. It only takes about 2hrs to switch it all out. But for a street driven car, the $1k I spent was well worth it to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts