ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 02 wagon started running really roughly and blinking CEL light so I took it into the mech and he changed the spark plugs but it was still running as bad as ever. So, he tells me one of the coil wires was busted and the wires are all part of a single wiring harness ($750). His recommendation was to find an existing car in a yard and cut off the wire and solder it to the existing harness.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

-mx

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
That's one way to do it, but not guaranteed to work. Those wires and coils are EXTREMELY sensitive, so if not done correctly, you may spend a lot of time for nothing.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
As close to a guarantee as you can get in that situation, unfortunately. I would try it at least, I mean what do you have to lose at this point? If it doesn't work, get the whole harness.

Do yourself a favor though, and take a picture of the connector in question and post it here, just so we know that you didn't get fed a bunch of BS.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Definitely post a picture of the damage. If you end up needing a harness I have one!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I took it to another guy for a second opinion and he checked the wiring and it was getting spark. So, he checked compression and sure enough it was around 75psi :(

The sad thing is that I just had a head gasket replaced and they did the head on the other side but, they apparently didn't think about doing this side. Ugh.

Anyone want to buy a project car?

-mx

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Ouch man, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. :( I was actually afraid it may have been that if the wiring proved good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another update:

Took it back to the original mech for a cylinder scope and some testing. Valves are fine. Carbon is usual. There is no coolant or oil leak. When they squirt a bit of oil into the cylinder, the compression comes up to 110. There is a fine line along the cylinder wall so, this guy is thinking it is a broken piston ring. What do you guys think? Even if it is, I am still looking at $1,500+ for that repair. Just not sure whether this something I should further invest into.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
See if anyone in your location recently drove a WRX into a tree.

Ask around at local wreckers, there may simply be a used engine available for that kind of money. It will come with no guarantee usually so you may spend $ to get a second bad motor installed, but it's a thought.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
In my opinion... there are three ways to do it.

First is on the cheap:
EJ25 Block+ stock pistons, rods, crank, etc on your stock heads with a thick head gasket

Second is performance on a budget
EJ25 block + forged pistons, forged rods, and a nitride crank with your stock heads which have been machined correctly.

third is a full long block with high performance parts inside. Be prepared to spend some cash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts