Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, please excuse me being super new to everything. If its been posted before links are greatly appreciated, I just couldnt find anything for my specific situation.
So theres a few things...
mods are an AP with the stage one tune from factory, an invidia exhaust, stock down pipe, and cobb intake (and some suspension work but not really relevant here).
I just got the car a few weeks ago, and pushed it pretty hard the first week or so with no issues. Randomly sprung the P0244 code and got familiar with it.Since the first time Ive gotten in about 10 times through trail and error seeing what set it off and on accident.It happens in 4th or 5th gear and has been being set easier and easier, before I had to really push it to set it.
I uninstalled the AP and set it back to stock map, but then got the "running lean" code.
Now Im picking up the DP from the guy I got the car from, is it worth getting that and re-tuning the car to stage two, should I go to a shop for a custom tune or is it worth getting a new waste gate and swapping that.
Also when I got it, it shifted smooth. Now, just 4th gear I have to wait till RPMs drop to near idle and put a light bit of pressure on the shift knob and it will fall in. If I dont wait it grinds super bad. synchros or I heard a fuild change may help?
Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I apologize again if its been posted before.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
First off -- I don't know what year and model car this is referencing.

Most years require the map specific to the SF intake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@zax, sorry it’s a 2008 wrx.
It has the sf stage one map, but I’m wondering if I put that dp on and went stage 2 map of that would help the p0244 code it’s throwing.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Well for starters, you need to run the correct map for your modifications

Hardware Requirements: Stage1 - Otherwise stock vehicle with the following modifications*:

• Intake Requirements: Stock airbox with stock air filter.
  • Exhaust requirements: Stock exhaust or upgraded cat-back exhaust.
Hardware Requirements: Stage1+SF - Otherwise stock vehicle with the following modifications*:

• Intake Requirements: COBB Tuning SF Intake
  • Exhaust requirements: Stock exhaust or upgraded cat-back exhaust.

Hardware Requirements: Stage2 - Otherwise stock vehicle with the following modifications*:

• Intake Requirements: Stock airbox with stock air filter
  • Exhaust requirements: Upgraded turbo-back exhaust**
Hardware Requirements: Stage2+SF - Otherwise stock vehicle with the following modifications*:

• Intake Requirements: COBB Tuning SF Intake
  • Exhaust requirements: Upgraded turbo-back exhaust**
It's really a wonder you haven't caused more extreme damage. Here's to hoping...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said, super new to Subaru’s and tuning. Also guess I should have been more specific. I’m running the stage 1+SF 91/e85, the one that was on the car when I got it. I tried to modify to low waste gate duty but couldn’t get the AP to connect to the manager.
Anyone that won’t be condescending care to chime in??

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Perhaps you've discovered your problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldn’t the map for 91/e85 still be good for 91 though? I live in the sticks with no stations that sell e85 around me for 60+miles

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
That I'm aware of they don't have an e85 map.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
Now I have a reason to ACTUALLY be condescending, because it is quite clear you didn't even read my post.

The link I provided was to the OTS map notes for a 2008 WRX MT as you indicated. There is no "91/E85" map, which makes me question your assessment even more -- exactly WHAT map are you running?

If, by chance, you are running a custom map for Flexfuel 91/E85... well then my recommendation is to talk to the tuner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I stand corrected @zax, I could have sworn I saw E85 on there but think I mixed up the tune I have with the one my buddy told me to do.
Since the last post I swapped the stock down pipe for a catted cobb and put the OTS Stage 2+SF.
I didnt have any issues with over boosting for almost a week and pushed it to make sure, so I thought the problem was fixed until today, tried to do a pull in 4th to pass a car and got the code again.
Whats weird is Ill hit 18.5 consistently with no issues, but will over boost at a lower psi. This last time was at 15, then after I reset the code wasnt pushing it too hard and hit the highest psi yet, 20.23 but throw a code.
Correct me if Im wrong..
At this point Im thinking it has to be a waste gate issue.
But cant figure out why Im boosting so high.
Is that psi normal for this tune?
Is it worth replacing the whole wastegate and upgrading it? BOV?
I really do appreciate the feedback

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
I stand corrected @zax,
Since the last post I swapped the stock down pipe for a catted cobb and put the OTS Stage 2+SF.
Wrong tune.

No physical mods - stage 1
Cobb sf intake - stage 1+
Down pipe stock intake - stage 2
Down pipe SF intake - stage 2+

Those are the only tuning options Cobb offers. That is the only combination of aftermarket performance parts they support.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
@XJman. I have a Cobb catted downpipe and sf intake. So I put the stage 2+ tune.. why is that wrong?
sorry i misread

Yes stage 2+

Your overboost condition sounds normal. In higher gear under high load is what causes it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts