Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've crawled on a brand new M3 before - so I wasn't really surprised by this kill, but I always love it when some BMW owner that thinks he's driving god's gift to the road gets owned.

The kid didn't even let me know he wanted to race - so I never even launched. The light went green and all of a sudden I heard the muted sound of the I6's throttle going wide open. THEN I floored it. Had way too many car lengths on him by 80 for his own good, even with an unfair start.

The guy was so ashamed he immediately made a U-turn. Sorry your car cost twice as much as mine buddy. Ha!

·
Registered
540 Posts
You must have at least stage 2+ at high boost to pull that many car lengths on stock 330ci. 330Ci has better top end power compared to stock WRX. If driven properly, he should have edged you by a 1/2 car @ 80mph

Car-Stats.com Report for 2001 BMW 330ci
Obtained from MT June, 2001
0-60: 6.1 Transmission: Manual
1/4 Mile: 14.7
1/4 Speed: 97
0-30: 2.25
0-40: 3.43
0-50: 4.73
0-70: 8.1
0-80: 10.2

Car-Stats.com Report for 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Obtained from C&D October, 2001
0-60: 5.4 Transmission: Manual
1/4 Mile: 14.1
1/4 Speed: 96
0-30: 2
0-40: 3.2
0-50: 4.5
0-70: 8.6
0-80: 10.8

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yah, here's my mod list.

Power:

TurboXS catless turboback exhaust w/ magnaflow muffler
Godspeed catless Up-pipe
TurboXS-tuned Stage 2 Unichip (piggyback engine management)
Auxiliary Boost Controller
Samco silicone Intercooler Hoses
Perrin lightened Crank Pulley
K&N Filter
Denso iridium plugs
QR Racing Scoop Splitter
Perrin short shifter
Intake resonator removed
Heavy gauge wire grounding mod
Autometer Sport Comp Boost and EGT Gauges
Blitz Dual Turbo Timer
Knocklink LED display with Bosch sensor
Rota Attacks 17x7.5 with Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s
H&R Lowering Springs
DBA slotted, drilled, vented front rotors with Mintex pads

Visual stuff:

OEM Painted side skirts
STi replica grill
Carbon Fiber side markers
SUBARU debadged
Momo airleather shift knob in blue aluminum

PS: arguing magazine times is gay. There is an infinite number of variables that go into street racing.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Wow...that's quite an extensive mod list you got there BeavisNuke.

I like those 3 series beemers...they're just not made to race.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Does anyone else see the problem with the Car and Driver specs listed above?

1/4
WRX: 14.1 @ 96
330: 14.8 @ 97

0-80
WRX: 10.8
330: 10.2

How is possible that the slower car in the 1/4 is the faster to 80 mph. I mean, look at it this way, the wrx took 14.1 to get to 96, and the 330 took 14.8 to get to 97. For all intensive purposes their 0-96/7 times are almost identical. If those figures are correct, and the 330 gets to 80 first, and is slower in the quarter, the wrx obviously has more top end, because it can make up that difference in under 10mph, more top end. Those numbers don't make sense... Besides, like Lemon said, he had an auto (or he couldnt' shift).

jb

·
Registered
725 Posts
Unless the BMW has to shift to fourth eariler and its a weak gear or something like that.. I mean we can probably ride out third to 97 I think, I could be wrong. But lets say the BMW has to shift right at 80mph and the next gear just sucks.

But more likely the number are just off.

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you look through the numbers of other cars in the mags, you'll see this happening consisently.

The WRX's AWD is the explanation. If you watch the WRX drag race, you'll see the "slingshot" launch and then see the other car start to catch up by the time the WRX is in third gear. In other words, the other car is going at a faster rate of speed than the WRX. Nonetheless, the WRX will cross the 1/4 mile finish lin first, even as the other car is going faster.

If I recall correctly, the video of Pace's wagon against a Corvette illustrates this pretty well.

So ultimately, it depends on what your definition of speed is. WRXreX is wrong. If the WRX and 330 were racing from one stoplight to another 1/4 mile away, according to the numbers he posted, the WRX would pass that second stoplight .6 sec earlier than the 330. The WRX would pass that 2nd light at 96 mph,
and then .6 sec later, the 330 would pass that point at 97 mph.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
bedabi said:
If you look through the numbers of other cars in the mags, you'll see this happening consisently.

The WRX's AWD is the explanation. If you watch the WRX drag race, you'll see the "slingshot" launch and then see the other car start to catch up by the time the WRX is in third gear. In other words, the other car is going at a faster rate of speed than the WRX. Nonetheless, the WRX will cross the 1/4 mile finish lin first, even as the other car is going faster.

If I recall correctly, the video of Pace's wagon against a Corvette illustrates this pretty well.

Yeah, but there's gotta be something wrong with those numbers. According to that the WRX has more top end, but loses out a ton between 60 and 80. Both those cars trap the 1/4 almost identically - 96/97mph. If you look at the numbers, that means the WRX goes 80-96 1.3 seconds faster than the BMW! And that's after the BMW accelerated from 60 to 80 1.1 seconds faster than the WRX. Those are some pretty wide swings! I have to agree with Jimb.

·
Registered
932 Posts
GV27 said:
Yeah, but there's gotta be something wrong with those numbers. According to that the WRX has more top end, but loses out a ton between 60 and 80. Both those cars trap the 1/4 almost identically - 96/97mph. If you look at the numbers, that means the WRX goes 80-96 1.3 seconds faster than the BMW! And that's after the BMW accelerated from 60 to 80 1.1 seconds faster than the WRX. Those are some pretty wide swings! I have to agree with Jimb.
Oh I see, you were talking about those mystery 0-80 numbers. They're coming from two different sources: 1 from MotorTrend and the other from C&D. So it's no surprise that they're off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If raced side by side, the BMW might reach 80 mph first and still be behind the WRX when the BMW reached that speed. You can't tell from 0-80 data which car will be ahead - only time to distance can tell you that. You can't use it to say that the WRX romped it at the end of the track - only if you had say, 1/8 mile data and compared it to 1/4 mile data would you have any idea.

Same for trap speed (which is an average of the last 30odd feet of the track) which is worthless by itself - two cars can run identical trap speeds and one car reaches the end sooner. Or one car can have a lower trap speed than the other and still reach the finish line first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ahh, this is what keeps me interested in the Subie. Something about a little wagon that waxes these guys give me a...well you can fill in the blank. The wifey keeps saying hey, look at that bimmer, or what about the new A4, blah, blah. Can't fault any of them as we just go rid of our '98 A4 and she now has an X5. But the idea of ***** slapp'n the higher dollar cars is just too good.

T.

·
Registered
13 Posts
BeavisNuke said:

The guy was so ashamed he immediately made a U-turn. Sorry your car cost twice as much as mine buddy. Ha!
When you say his car costs twice as much.... Are you including your modifications?? I don't think so. Thats quite an extensive list of power adders that you have there that might just make up the difference in price... then again, maybe not. But i believe that 330ci might take you on a very technical track because those things are totally neutral in handling and drive like they are on rails.

Also, the creature comforts of the BMW are no comparison to the Subie. The BMW is all leather and nice materials inside... that Subie is all plastic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I believe he walked on a 330ci. I have on the freeway. Where the WRX "lacks." Some cocky guy in a red one, sees me get on the freeway and I can see him speeding up behind me(he was on the freeway when I got on). He speeds past me as I am shifting into 3rd, I caught up with easily and then walked, buh bye. Homeboy had the ganster lean on too, he must have thought he was driving an M3.

:rolleyes:

-F A C T I O N

·
Registered
932 Posts
Re: Re: Cocky punk in a 330ci gets shut down

Silver00Stang said:
But i believe that 330ci might take you on a very technical track because those things are totally neutral in handling and drive like they are on rails.
We had discussed this before here:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11193

bedabi said:
Grassroots Motorsports magazine's latest issue (11/02) did a little test on different drivetrains. Representing their respective drivetrain layout were: the WRX (AWD); the RSX-S (FWD); and the BMW 330i. They were all shod with 205/55YR16 BFG KDW tires and run through a ~40 sec track at Michelin Tires' proving ground.

The results were contrary to the conventional wisdom that RWD cars handle best: (average times)

WRX times: 40.59 wet, 41.988 dry

RSX-S times: 41.58 wet, 42.284 dry

330i times: 42.02 wet, 42.44 dry (DSC off)
42.218 wet, 43.982 dry (DSC on).

BMW: The power of good marketing!

·
Registered
699 Posts
My friend has a 330i (4 doors). it's the same as the ci in every other way. They handle amazingly and they're quick too. He ran 14.9 on heavy as 18" momo rims. That car is so bad when it's lowered with the rims and clear lights. From a roll with his exhaust and intake it would be fairly even, from a stop i can hold him off for the quarter mile. and not that many bmw drivers are "cocky punks"....

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Cocky punk in a 330ci gets shut down

bedabi said:
BMW: The power of good marketing!
Do you really mean that? I think BMWs are well made cars, and built too last. At least from the experience of close friends that own BMWs. I think they're great cars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.