Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, the service was great. Called them Monday afternoon, and was quite pleasantly surprised to see a big 'ol box from Cobb Tuning at my door, with a license plate frame innit, in addition to...
A cat-back system that the guys at the shop were drooling over. According to them, the quality was exceptional, including welding and fitment, which was beautiful. True OEM fit, and better than OE finish. It only took ten minutes to actually install the muffler and mid-pipe.

We started the car, and there were some surprises. It isn't a constant state sound like the n/a Stromung was that I had on my Legacy GT. When you're on it, the system is talking to you. When you aren't, it's as quiet as stock. It sounds really, really good. It was pretty cool to burble down the road, causing a car filled with young import tuner types to keep looking around, since that cool sound COULDN'T be coming from that wagon over there.

Performance was interesting, as well. It smooths out the power band, more than adding any discernible HP gains. Josh at Cobb said that it might get you 5-8 hp, which would take a butt dyno more finely tuned than mine to discern.

But the takeup and application of power is noticeably smoother. Second-gear starts are a piece of cake now, and it really seems to pull stronger in fifth gear at highway speed.

You do get some sound in the cabin, which I suspect is because of my wagon's open back. It isn't intrusive at all however. Car alarms chirp in sympathy.

The looks are also fantastic. This is a polished stainless steel system, with a Cobb logo embossed atop the tip. It's a 3" setup that replaces the resonator-equipped stock midpipe.

As an aside, the muffer shop bloke said that the cats were straight through, even if they weren't high flow. He said they're as good as you can get without going high flow, which in the case of our cars, wouldn't add a whole lot. They are apparently more open than some of the high flow cats he's seen.

Kevin

·
Registered
554 Posts
And how much did it cost? Cost, shipping all that good stuff? maybe a wav or mp3 file of the sound too?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, no pix or sound files. But if you go to www.cobbtuning.com, they have a pix from the underside of the car, so you can see how well it fits. It actually looks better than stock!

Oh, the member price (which might be the price everyone gets) is $575, just under $600 shipped to my door.

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great to hear... my Rex is going in for the 280HP mod package on Thursday of this week - lucky enough to be within easy driving distance of Cobb so I got in as one of the first couple of "pre-release" cars that they are going to mod and monitor for a couple of months while they get ready to release the goods to everyone...

i'm betting the quality you saw will be evident all thru the work they are going to do for me next week...

can you tell i'm excited??? LOL :eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I saw that exhaust on their site. My only question is whether or not it will hit my diff protector. Did you have this problem or know anything about it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts