ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 11 sedan last week in northern jersey.
Does anyone have the tune? how is it compared to stock?
is an intake needed with the tune?
does anyone have stg 2 with downpipe and exhaust?

thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Check out cobbtuning.com, all the answers you will need will be there.

You can get a stage 1 map with a stock intake, as well as a stage 2 tune with a stock intake. You can also get a stage 1 and 2 tune with a cobb intake or aem intake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i'm about to buy order one. i was talking to a kid at a car meet he went with the cobb intake and a stage 1. he said you can feel the difference because the stock tune hides so much more power that the car has. makes me excited.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
which cobb intake did he go with? did he go with just the basic one or the one with the intake box?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'd wait until the car has a few miles on it before throwing a tune on there. Get over the 1000 mile mark at least.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'd wait until the car has a few miles on it before throwing a tune on there. Get over the 1000 mile mark at least.
I agree. You will appreciate the mods more if put a few miles on the car first. If not you won't really have much to compare. I got the Cobb AP at 3000 miles, stage 2 at 6000 miles. Next I will go Stage 2 + AEM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I currently have cobb stage 1 with stock intake on my 11 wrx sedan. I have always been hesitant about changing out the stock intake on our cars....
I dont know or remember where or who i heard this from, but a few sources mentioned keeping the intakes stock on subies. I specifically recall that with my old 06 sti. IDK, maybe i'll get the cobb intake when i go stage 2... but prob the short ram which goes nice with cobb ots maps. a long ass cold air would require a protune no doubt!!

anyone felt the difference between a stage 1 or 2 without and with an intake??

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
+1 to getting a few miles on it before modding. I went stage 1 +AEM at about 3K, then stage 2 +AEM about 5K....very happy camper :D

·
Banned
664 Posts
you couldnt pay me to run one of these cars on a stock tune. flashed at 5 miles! i feel like keeping my ringlands in tac and not blowing the motor up.

i wouldnt waste my money on a Cobb AP. buy a tactrix cable for $180 and download rom raider. buy a stage 1 and or 1/2 combo pack from torqued performance and save yourself a lot of money. rom raider is perfered and can do so much for you!

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Romraider is just an editor and logger. Ecuflash is the actual program that installs the new ROM image.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
you couldnt pay me to run one of these cars on a stock tune. flashed at 5 miles!
you elitist pig :rotfl:

After driving a modded WRX, I can see your point, though I would gladly get paid for driving a stock one all day :D

However, not that you had a decent modded one and sold it, then started fresh with a new one. The OP seems to be new to WRXdom, and would benefit from the stock drive experience more than you would at this stage.

·
Banned
664 Posts
You have to remember though, the stock tune runs a crazy long closed to open loop time delay!! It's real, it's no joke, it's dangerous! The time delay can run as long as 4500rpm at full boost (14.3psi) at stoich 14.5 AFR. The car is screaming detonation and the knock sensor is working hard to pull timing and power so the motor doesn't blow. Sadly the car does NOT increase fuel delivery! So while you have no timing while knocking you are still running 14.5 AFR at 14.3psi until it kicks into open loop and starts dumping fuel.

If a grandma grove these cars then no issues. But the fact any of us could kick WOT at anytime is not worth the risk!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
DemonWRX said:
you elitist pig :rotfl:

After driving a modded WRX, I can see your point, though I would gladly get paid for driving a stock one all day :D

However, not that you had a decent modded one and sold it, then started fresh with a new one. The OP seems to be new to WRXdom, and would benefit from the stock drive experience more than you would at this stage.
He is likely referring to CL fueling being targeted well into boost and knock.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
I knew the stock tune was crap, didn't know it was that much of crap! I stand corrected.

Gotta ask though.... how the hell is SOA able to warranty these things with that crap tune? You would think they would go belly up with having to replace so many WRX/STI engines

·
Banned
664 Posts
because not everyone just beats the hell out of the car. plus people that do beat on it more than likely are in open loop to begin with. its the cruise then sudden WOT where the delay is. progessively getting in to WOT will ensure the switch goes smoother.

PS #4 ringland goes all the time and they do have to replace the motors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
yea my friend just bought the cob bstage 1 with intakefor his 11 and i asked him how it was and his text back was holy **** incredible .. cant wait to get that 1000 miles on mine cause its being ordered....

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Don't wait, get the AP now. you can add intakes and exhaust later.... get the AP and get to stage one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts