ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on going Cobb stage 2 in the spring, 93 oct.
at that point my mods will be bosal downpipe, bosal 3" single tip catback, and of course, Accessport, making me eligible for stg 2.

Will my tranny have a tough time holding up, even if i never launch it?
what kinda whp are we talking about here? thats as far as i plan on going when it comes to engine work, and i would like my tranny to hold up.

another question, sort of off topic, do you think i could pass nj inspection with the bosal dp, bosal single tip catback? after all, it does retain the 3rd cat, right...so i will still have 2

any thoughts? thanks a lot in advance

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
you will be just fine on stage two.

youre looking at between 185-210 WHP depending on dyno.

even launching, correctly, isnt too rough.

tranny issues on scoobys are almost always casued by users unless we're talking the few SOA acknowledged issues.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know i should run a search, but while im at it, what do you think is the correct way to launch....slip the clutch, rather than dump it all together?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
do a search....

i cant explain "how"

but do not drop it. then you will ruin it all.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You should be alright, you just have to be smart, go easy on the launchs and the 1-2 shifts and you shouldnt have a problem, but it still concerns me as well, which is why if i ever get my finances back under control im probably gonna try to get the RA gearset just to be on the safe side of things, since i plan to eventually put a vf34 in i consider it a bit of "preventitive maintnence" As far as WHP goes, a few weeks ago I put down 227hp and 223 ft-lbs of torque on my stage 2 91 octane map. my mods are samco ic hoses, helix catless up pipe, helix catless downpipe, and helix cat-back

·
Registered
823 Posts
IDAFC21 said:
You should be alright, you just have to be smart, go easy on the launchs and the 1-2 shifts and you shouldnt have a problem, but it still concerns me as well, which is why if i ever get my finances back under control im probably gonna try to get the RA gearset just to be on the safe side of things, since i plan to eventually put a vf34 in i consider it a bit of "preventitive maintnence" As far as WHP goes, a few weeks ago I put down 227hp and 223 ft-lbs of torque on my stage 2 91 octane map. my mods are samco ic hoses, helix catless up pipe, helix catless downpipe, and helix cat-back

Nice #'s. What kind of dynometer? Temp? Humidity? Altitude?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
T.J. said:
Nice #'s. What kind of dynometer? Temp? Humidity? Altitude?

it was a...dynojet? temp was 61 degrees, 46% humidity, dont know about the altitude, im in the valley so not very high id imagine. and it was the 91 octane map

and even that number was with a lotta knock i was getting =/ Im still tryin to figure that one out. i suspect it might be the spark plugs, cuz the cars got 50k miles on it, and i bought it when it had 49k, so i dont know when the previous owner changed them last. so i ordered up some new ones that were a stage colder too. im replacing the fuel filter tomorrow also cuz, again i dont know when it might have been done last

·
Registered
715 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the tranny. Only worry about the clutch.. ie dont launch frequently :)

I run cobb stage 2.5 (265-275whp) and *never* launch. It sucks, I know, but I don't want to risk my transmission. The gears have held up fine, though. Just don't shift extremely hard and you will be OK. I have raced from a roll numerous times since cobb stage2.5, and the gears/tranny seem fine.

One day, though, I will get an ACT clutch + new gearset!

·
Registered
715 Posts
IDAFC21 said:
a little off topic, but gfx, how do you like the VF30?
I like it a lot. It feels very strong. I have some sort of leak though so I can't really gauge its full power.. but from what I have.. I love it :)

I pulled on my friend's EVO by about 3-4 cars when he was stock, 1-2 since his TBE. It's pretty quick, for now.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Nice, im tryin to figure out if i eventually want a vf34 or vf30. Id probably be happy w/ a 34, but I almost wonder if it wont be enough for me. I dont want a 22 cuz i dont wanna lose a lotta low end

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Yeah, i dont wanna go too crazy w/ my car. my eventual goal for the car would be real low 13's, w/ a possible reward of a high 12 if the planets are all aligned. a vf34 COULD get me there, but a vf34 on cobbs maps...i dont know. A VF30 may be better suited to help me achieve that goal

·
Registered
350 Posts
Redline927 said:
what is required for stg 2.5?
First, you better have the Cobb AP if you want the Cobb Stage 2.5.
Then, you will will need:
-New Sti pink fuel injectors - somewhere between $250 for used and $430 for new.
-You need a VF34 or VF30 - VF30 can be had for $350 used or the VF34 I have seen go for around $500ish. The VF series are IHI turbos. Nowadays, I might be tempted to go 18G or 20G (mitsu - TEC in Golden can help you out) to go faster and longer. Since the spool is later, around 3600 rpm, you won't trash your tranny unless you're dumping the clutch.
-A bigger fuel pump, Warlbro is $100.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
like has been said before, tranny should be fine if you don't kill it. Expect mainly around 215 whp, although I have seen some as high as 250 where a stock sti runs 255 on the same dyno.

Although you don't need the uppipe, I would recommend it just to get rid of that cat. Theres always a possibility that it could break into the turbo. Just a thought :)

As far as emissions, a friend in Ohio passed echeck with only the stock 3rd cat. Just make sure its warmed up before you go in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts