ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you launch with cobb stage 2 upipe back, does it hurt your tranni. i mean with that more horsepower than stock. i know it hurts it but will it handle it?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have Stage 2 and I have never launched the car. :) People have blown trannys launching stock cars. Nobody can answer your question because there is no telling how long the tranny will last under abuse like that. My assumption would be: not long.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
been stage 2 for sometime now. I launch A LOT(prolly 4 to 5 times a week) and no tranny problems so far. If you slip the clutch you should be fine. Just don't dump it because that puts too much stress on the tranny.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so is it true that a wrx with upipe back stage 2 can keep up with an sti? which means that, srt-4's would be blown away?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Blizwinter said:
so is it true that a wrx with upipe back stage 2 can keep up with an sti? which means that, srt-4's would be blown away?
Well if you mean blowing SRT-4s away from a stop yes. I have a very good friend who has a stock SRT-4 and from a stop I put an instant 3 cars on him and he never pulls any closer...and he ran a 13.8 at the track. From a roll we are nearly even. If he pulls it's only inches. This would make me think I run around a 13.4 - 13.5.

As far as an STi I don't know I've never had the chance to race one. Everyone that I've ever pulled up next to has been brand new and was still in the break in. I'm not going to tempt a new STi owner to race and have him hurt his car in the long run...I'm not that mean.

BTW I have no EM and I am up-pipe back (soon to be header-back this weekend) with no other performance mods other than a GP moto shorty intake (no extra power). However I can beat my friend's Utec Stg 2 car so I'm convinced my ECU is a factory freak. Only thing I've ever done is the ECU learn trick which seemed to give me some extra power. Course I could just be the world's best driver :wiggles: :tongue:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
um, i just read about that guy in wrx vs. the world. His wife's auto wrx with upipe back stage 2, ran against his sti, and they ran even from a roll. So that says even to me, and doesn't an sti destroy an srt-4 from a roll.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My cobb stage II broke 2nd gear on an a fast upshift... took launches great, just too much torque and traction for those baby teeth

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Blizwinter said:
um, i just read about that guy in wrx vs. the world. His wife's auto wrx with upipe back stage 2, ran against his sti, and they ran even from a roll. So that says even to me, and doesn't an sti destroy an srt-4 from a roll.
Naw STi's and SRT-4s are about even from a roll. both have about 230 at the wheels. And the guy and wife you speak of are my friends from Kansas City. :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
What's up? Steve right? Couldn't remember who was driving what car...haha

funny...I have a picture almost identical to yours from when I was at arrowhead

·
Registered
20 Posts
srt-4 what

13.8 on the 1320 in a srt-4 stock i find that hard to believe and if one is creepin on you in a sti from a rolling stop i think you sti needs to head to the dealer for a check up. when my car was stock i luved rolling on srt-4 those people iwth domestic rice tought they were fast but all bit the dust

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
bluscooby said:
13.8 on the 1320 in a srt-4 stock i find that hard to believe and if one is creepin on you in a sti from a rolling stop i think you sti needs to head to the dealer for a check up. when my car was stock i luved rolling on srt-4 those people iwth domestic rice tought they were fast but all bit the dust

srt4 can do 13.8 stock with good driver...the 04's...they are way underrated and have almost as much whp as a sti and weigh just under 3000lb's...its possible to lose to a srt4 from a roll if the race isnt in favorable gear/speed for sti...go on the highway with a sti and srt4..ultimately srt4 will pull an sti on the freeway...ive seen a bone stock srt4 break 14.1-14.2 at a track in PALMDALE,ca called lacr and that's at like 4000 elevation...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think some tranny's get built better than most cause ive beat mine bad. and i have yet to destroy anything. but i just have headers,up,dp, and catback.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts